Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 05:25 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,185,854 times

Advertisements

evilnewbie - you keep pointing out things that can be done on both short sales and foreclosures. How is that helping your argument in any way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 05:27 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,885,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
evilnewbie - you keep pointing out things that can be done on both short sales and foreclosures. How is that helping your argument in any way?
The argument has been that short sale is equal to foreclosure which it is not... I have been pointing out that tax liability from a foreclosure is on average greater than a short sale... means it costs you more money (unless you think costing you more money is "nothing" significant)... a foreclosure will cost you more and will last for a longer time... if anyone thinks that they are basically the same, they are not...

Here is a link...

http://homebuying.about.com/od/forec...oreclosure.htm

Old 05-28-2010, 06:41 PM

10,973 posts, read 22,012,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
There is no perfect answer to this situation for anyone, but typically a short sale is better off than a foreclosure. The seller is asking the bank to eat a large some of money of course there are going to be negative consequences.

Not sure what your point is? Are you saying someone would benefit from going into foreclosure vs. doing a short sale.
Wrong in one aspect. A short sale is ALWAYS better than a foreclosure.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Point was to dispute parts of the article and to let potential short sellers know that they can be negatively impacted by a short sale. It probably is worth a try, but still not a great option.

As a lender I despise short sales because the process sucks so bad for buyers. I also despise that fact that many potential short sellers try to 'work the system'.
It was a weak article in some ways. The writer had the jest of it, but you could tell they weren't really an expert on short sales. That is normal for the writers that do articles on RE or mortgages anyway. To the public, they sound nice, to the ones in the know they can pick the flaws out easily.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
In many states, the lender CANNOT pursue any deficeincy judgment.
Actually I believe 42 states allow deficiency judgments, and 8 are non recourse states.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The argument has been that short sale is equal to foreclosure which it is not... I have been pointing out that tax liability from a foreclosure is on average greater than a short sale... means it costs you more money (unless you think costing you more money is "nothing" significant)... a foreclosure will cost you more and will last for a longer time... if anyone thinks that they are basically the same, they are not...

Here is a link...

Short Sale vs. Foreclosure - Benefits and Drawbacks Between a Short Sale and a Foreclosure
What he's trying to say is that the bank in many states can file a deficiency judgment in both short sales or foreclosure. The cost of a foreclosure, national average, runs around 40-50k and the property sells at a discounted price. On a short sale, the property still sells at a discounted price but the legal fees for the bank aren't as high. Realtors are typically better at selling properties than the bank so ss will probably net a higher amount even if the legal fees weren't there on the foreclosure. The deficiency judgment, if one were to be filed, would most likely be drastically less in a short sale than a foreclosure.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post

Here is a link...

Short Sale vs. Foreclosure - Benefits and Drawbacks Between a Short Sale and a Foreclosure
Depends on how much more money it costs you. It can certainly be significant. It can also be insignificant.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Depends on how much more money it costs you. It can certainly be significant. It can also be insignificant.
See my last post. I clarified the #'s. It normally is significant.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
See my last post. I clarified the #'s. It normally is significant.
Which is no different than I just said.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:20 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,885,537 times
Quote:
Which is no different than I just said.
There is also a chance of you willing the lottery... no different than the way you are trying to explain things... could be an insignificant chance but hey its a "chance"... most people don't gamble thousands of dollars and problems with their credit on "chances"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs