Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 08:34 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,278,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
I have never been very far from an airport and big city things though and that may be an adjustment.
Ft. Collins is only an hour from downtown Denver. Not as close as Mesa is to Phoenix, but still not very far by most people's standards.

I'd definitely vote for Ft. Collins, hands down. I won't go into all the reasons, because most of them wouldn't matter to anyone else at all. As someone said, it's a personal preference, and everybody's is going to be different.

But having lived all my life in Illinois and Iowa, I can relate to the "cold and gray" winters. Winters on the Colorado front range are much different. They may be colder in terms of average temperature; but you have a lot more breaks in the winter where the temperature hits 50+ than you do in the midwest. And as someone previously mentioned, the dry climate always makes it feel 10-15 degrees warmer than it actually is. And there are many more sunny days!

The downside to Ft. Collins is the cost of housing. But that really shouldn't be an issue for a two-doctor household. And it is getting crowded; but if you don't like that, there are many outlying small towns that haven't been overdeveloped yet.

I really don't have anything to say about Austin one way or the other. I visited once when I was a kid and it seemed nice, but that was 30 years ago. They do have a great music scene; if I lived there I might get lucky and get to hang out with some cool cats like Dale Watson, Jerry Jeff Walker, or ol' Willie himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 11:44 AM

95 posts, read 569,350 times
I love hearing everyone's opinion! This is great!

Old 11-17-2006, 10:35 AM

66 posts, read 494,084 times
If you like the change of seasons, come to Ft. Collins. If you like outdoor recreation during the four seasons, come to Ft. Collins. If you want the opportunity to be a part of a new regional medical facility on the I-25 corrider, come to Ft. Collins. If you want smaller city living, but are only an hour away from Denver and its offerings, come to Ft. Collins.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:52 PM

7 posts, read 23,976 times
Talking Fort Collins vs. Austin

So, I recently graduated from the University of Texas @Austin. I absolutely loved Austin and still do. After graduation, I was offered a fantastic job that I just couldn't refuse, but the bad part is the position was located in Houston. In the past, I always told myself that I would never live in Houston, but again, I couldn't pass this job up. Now, after being in my job for about 9 months, I've been given permission to move if I want. My 3 choices are Cupertino, Fort Collins, or Boston. I'm really leaning towards Fort Collins, but I'm just not sure. My family owned a condo in Estes Park for about 10 years; however, I haven't been back since I was younger, and I never spent much time in Fort Collins. I've been told that Fort Collins is like Austin, only with snow.

Some reasons I think Fort Collins might be good:

- I also have horrible allergies, so I figure Fort Collins might be better for me considering things don't bloom/pollenate 11 months out of the year and the air is dry.
- I absolutely love cold weather!
- I'm all about doing outdoors stuff. I'm a runner and also into biking and hiking. I'm very into snowboarding, so living close to the snow for the first time in a while would be good.
- I've read Ft. Collins has about 300 days of sunshine each year.
- I definitely enjoy larger cities, so the fact that its close to Denver is good.

I'm pretty much sold on it, but I just don't know about the vibe and what the life is like up there for sure. I don't know anyone up there, so I would be starting over. I don't want to move then be completely miserable and stuck.

Can someone give me an idea of what life is like? What is the attitude/mentality of the city? Is it really like Austin with the addition of snow? Should I pass on Fort Collins and start looking at my the other 2 locations?

Old 04-02-2008, 04:35 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isak7985 View Post
Can someone give me an idea of what life is like? What is the attitude/mentality of the city? Is it really like Austin with the addition of snow? Should I pass on Fort Collins and start looking at my the other 2 locations?
You're lucky. About the only negative anyone has about FC is the fact that jobs are sometimes scarce there. Since that's not an issue for you, I say go for it!

Compared to Austin, Boston, and the bay area of California, Fort Collins is going to be something of a smaller city. It's an hour from Denver, but people don't really see themselves as part of the Denver metro area. It is nice that the amenities of Denver are there when you need them, however.

The vibe of the town is laid back -- great if you're into the outdoors and recreational sports. There is a restored downtown area (old town), a main street (College Ave), the student area around CSU. Fort Collins is also famous for craft beer and brewpubs. It's all quite walkable if you want it to be, though there are typical suburban subdivisions to the south if you prefer that as well. You also get relatively uncrowded access to the mountains on weekends compared to the craziness west of Denver, though unfortunately the downhill skiing is all going to be along I-70.

Fort Collins often compared to fellow college town Boulder. Fort Collins shares a lot in common with Boulder: an outdoors-oriented culture, some granola leanings, etc. However, Fort Collins really lacks Boulder's pretension and high price tag.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:33 AM

20 posts, read 69,713 times
Hi I'm also interested in hearing what anyone has to say about Ft. Collins, specifically anyone who has made the move from a warmer climate. I've lived in Austin my whole life, but am ready to move somewhere that doesn't feel like a sauna 9 months out of the year. I know it's great weather for some, but it's just not for me.

Ft. Collins, or one of the outlying areas, is a consideration for me because I will be applying to vet school in a couple of years. The area is also good for my bf due to his job prospects.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am considering other cities, but would like to hear other's opinions of this area (or surrounding areas). Thanks!

Old 04-03-2008, 04:57 PM

423 posts, read 1,960,333 times
I love it here in Fort Collins. To me the winters are not bad here because I grew up way out in Eastern colorado. There is so much to do and great scenery here. I have been to Austin and I liked the visit but for me it was too flat and did not possess the beauty of Colorado, plus I like the change of seasons. As far as vet school Cheric03, you might want to look into the program here a little closer. My niece was going to apply here and got some information that changed her mind. She chose University of Nebraska Lincoln to go to . Sounded like their school was easier to get into and plus it was cheaper. I think you should go wherever you can get through school the easiest and then decide where you should call home.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
I love it here in Fort Collins. To me the winters are not bad here because I grew up way out in Eastern colorado. There is so much to do and great scenery here. I have been to Austin and I liked the visit but for me it was too flat and did not possess the beauty of Colorado, plus I like the change of seasons. As far as vet school Cheric03, you might want to look into the program here a little closer. My niece was going to apply here and got some information that changed her mind. She chose University of Nebraska Lincoln to go to . Sounded like their school was easier to get into and plus it was cheaper. I think you should go wherever you can get through school the easiest and then decide where you should call home.
Thanks for your input. I agree about the differences in scenery (and weather) between the 2 cities, which is part of the reason for the move. I should add that in addition to finding a city in which I can go to vet school, we also have to find one where my bf can finish his training in, and obtain a job as, a helicopter pilot. There was one school about an hour and a half from Austin who's equipment leaves something to be desired (not to mentioned scared for his life), and the other just went bankrupt. As a new pilot he would have to travel to the coast for 2 weeks at a time to get a decent job. For me, although A&M is a great school, and statistically a LITTLE easier to get into, it's just not the school for me.

As far as getting in, that is always daunting, and I have to admit the avg 3.7 GPA of the 2007 incoming class at CSU is a little scary, although the avg GPA of the other schools I'm looking into aren't much better (typically 3.6), but are closer to where I'm currently at. I would be interested to know any info you may have on the info your niece received that caused her to change her mind. The possibility of getting in is definitely a big factor in whether we choose to move there or somewhere else.

Thanks again!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 24,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by where_to_move View Post
thanks guys! hopefully someone will say Ft Collins...I am curious why everyone is saying Austin. Is it b/c the weather is too cold in Ft Collins, or people are tired of all the outsiders moving in? just curious!
Just moved to Fort Collins from Austin (lived there 4 years). Before Austin, my family lived in Houston. Austin is a great town but people hype it too much IMO. If you single and want to party - yes, it's a great town.

Since you and husband are both doctors, I would say your going to be working many hours and won't be hitting 6 street until 3AM.

Fort Collins is a great town!!! Family is loving the weather. Austin gets HOT!! You will have many days and even weeks at 100 degree and over during the summers.

Traffic in Austin is also a major issue. Lights on freeways. Anyone seen that before? Drive 360 in Austin and it's a parking lot!

I would choose Fort Collins over Austin if I were you. Health care is a strength here and the city is beautiful! No regrets moving from Austin to Fort Collins.

Good luck on your decision!

Old 04-04-2008, 01:54 PM

Default I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterFung View Post
Just moved to Fort Collins from Austin (lived there 4 years). Before Austin, my family lived in Houston. Austin is a great town but people hype it too much IMO. If you single and want to party - yes, it's a great town.

Since you and husband are both doctors, I would say your going to be working many hours and won't be hitting 6 street until 3AM.

Fort Collins is a great town!!! Family is loving the weather. Austin gets HOT!! You will have many days and even weeks at 100 degree and over during the summers. As an Austinite I would like to add that when it's not over 100 in the summer it's over 90 for a good portion of spring and fall - if you could even call it that. We get cold fronts during these seasons long enough to get relief for a day, only to get disappointed when it's sweltering again the next day. By cold front I mean it's below 85.

Traffic in Austin is also a major issue. Lights on freeways. Anyone seen that before? Drive 360 in Austin and it's a parking lot!

I would choose Fort Collins over Austin if I were you. Health care is a strength here and the city is beautiful! No regrets moving from Austin to Fort Collins.

Good luck on your decision!
I have to agree on everything MasterFung said. I'm checking out Ft. Collins and Oregon this summer to find a new place to live. I rather have a few months of not so perfect weather somewhere else rather than several months of heat and humidity. I would like to add that there are many, many people that love this weather - I'm just not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area