Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 44,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Agree.
I did used to take a public bus between the two cities (it was a lo-ong ride.)
That stretch of highway actually used to be pretty boring, but it is now so overused it is downright dangerous IMHO.

Which public bus did you take to get from foco to boulder? I'm a student at CSU and I need to get to boulder to visit CU and I have no idea how to get there! Thanks for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,647 times
Default Commute from Fort Collins to Boulder

Hi,
I am moving to Fort Collins this year and will be staying there but my workplace will be in Boulder. What are my commute options? I did check the forum but found older entries like in 2007/8. I wanted to know the current daily commute options.

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:14 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,918 times
Options as far as mass transit? You can take the FLEX bus from Ft. Collins to Longmont and then the BOLT to Boulder. But if the timing isn't right it can be a long commute.
FLEX - The Most Flexible Bus Route In Northern Colorado
http://www3.rtd-denver.com/schedules...1&routeId=BOLT

Old 03-16-2011, 09:17 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,637 times
If you think you are going to be commuting to Boulder, I recommend living in the extreme SW part of Fort Collins. There's a route from south Taft Hill Road to Boulder that has very little traffic until you reach Niwot. It takes about an hour to get to downtown Boulder. Alternately, you could live in the SE but you'd have to take I-25 to get to Boulder and it would still take an hour in light traffic (which you won't have during normal commute times).

Last edited by xeric; 03-16-2011 at 09:35 AM..

Old 03-16-2011, 12:34 PM

352 posts, read 797,549 times
I never did the full commute gig, but I nearly always chose a 'back way" from Niwot or Boulder to FC. Anything to avoid I-25. Not sure why, but that stretch always feels particularly heinous to me, no matter the time of year or time of day. I can do it, but it seems to rattle me more than other parts of the Interstate. Maybe it's just me...

Old 03-16-2011, 12:51 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
I never did the full commute gig, but I nearly always chose a 'back way" from Niwot or Boulder to FC. Anything to avoid I-25. Not sure why, but that stretch always feels particularly heinous to me, no matter the time of year or time of day. I can do it, but it seems to rattle me more than other parts of the Interstate. Maybe it's just me...
I dislike it as well. Mostly because it's designated a "rural interstate" (with a high speed limit), but is really a heavily trafficked metro area commuter route.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:37 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
This section of I-25 is scary for a good reason -- it's well beyond capacity, and absolutely loaded with trucks. Commuters tend to tailgate almost instinctively, and over the long haul being rear-ended by an inattentive commuter seems almost a certainty. It's scary because the odds of getting in an accident have little to do with one's own ability at driving.

The back route does have much to recommend it, though a faster route isn't one of them in my experience. While traffic is heavy on I-25, frequent gridlock doesn't really come into play until you get to the Longmont exits, and that's about the time you get off the highway for a Boulder commute (you'd probably get off at Longmont exit 240, although you might get off at 235).

One hour to Boulder is about what you should count on. I'd say the I-25 route is probably faster than the other route, but is somewhat less predictable. It's also likely less safe.

Frankly, I think you'd be crazy to do this commute (either on I-25 or otherwise) long term, but some veteran commuters from the coasts probably think it's peanuts compared to their daily slog.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:32 PM
qsr

47 posts, read 104,550 times
I did the opposite commute for about 9 months, on the I-25 route. It was usually fairly painless, but driving on I-25 on the 2-lane section is scary. The 3 lanes south of Mead is nice. You would not want to consider making this drive in bad weather, so have a telecommute option lined up.

As far as the Western route--287 is great except that you have to drive through Loveland and Longmont. You may be better off considering living in Loveland to avoid the pain of driving through town. Loveland-Boulder is an easy drive, except that the Diagonal is about as dangerous as I-25.

Also the Flex to Bolt is okay as long as the times line up. I'm on the south end of town and the Flex stop is within walking distance.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleToFortCollins View Post
Hi,
I am moving to Fort Collins this year and will be staying there but my workplace will be in Boulder. What are my commute options? I did check the forum but found older entries like in 2007/8. I wanted to know the current daily commute options.

Thanks.
Why not just live in Boulder, Longmont, or Loveland? (In order of distance from Boulder)

Old 04-07-2011, 04:44 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,896 times
I did the Ft Collins - Boulder Commute for a year and the above posters give good info. As for options, I tried carpooling; I drove alone sometimes; I used the VanGo Vanpool which was OK but added time due to having to go to the park 'n ride to start out, and then drop everyone off at their workplace. (But I only drove once a week and other days could relax). I telecommuted one day a week. Etc. Now there is the FLEX bus which seems like it might be OK - check the schedule and see.

As for routes, it seems you have three choices: Highway 25; the US 287-Shields Street corridor; or the western route along the farm roads (could even go over Masonville.) I lived in Old Town but living on the south end of Ft. Collins seems to make the most sense if you expect to do this commute. I concur with the other posters that avoiding I-25 makes sense, but 287 is also very congested. So, I would agree with this:

Quote:
If you think you are going to be commuting to Boulder, I recommend living in the extreme SW part of Fort Collins. There's a route from south Taft Hill Road to Boulder that has very little traffic until you reach Niwot. It takes about an hour to get to downtown Boulder. Alternately, you could live in the SE but you'd have to take I-25 to get to Boulder and it would still take an hour in light traffic (which you won't have during normal commute times).
in large part because I find that part of town more appealing than the Southeast/Harmony corridor.

Can you arrange to telecommute on nasty winter days, or better yet regularly once a week? Also, working in Gunbarrel may be preferable to Boulder proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area