Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 07:22 PM

25 posts, read 91,827 times

Advertisements

I get so tired of people knocking Greeley saying it stinks, has anyone not taken the time to smell the fragrant tree smell in the air around town. I don't want anyone thinking town smells all that bad, I have never had any bad smell around here. And people on here always talking about the crime, especially in the east side, it may have some crime but I have been downtown and all around at all hours and never had any problems with crime, seems like some people will say anything on here for some reason or another. Its no mayberry or anything but its not a bad place. I love it here and plan on staying here my whole life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 09:46 PM

88 posts, read 282,988 times
We lived in San Antonio for a very long time and the slaughterhouse is smack dab in the middle of town, down the street from Whataburger and a couple of taco places plus the county offices. It smelled bad but it wasn't every day and I think people got used to it. This has been going on forever. So can Greeley be that bad?

Old 03-22-2010, 02:25 PM

624 posts, read 905,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernjedi View Post
We lived in San Antonio for a very long time and the slaughterhouse is smack dab in the middle of town, down the street from Whataburger and a couple of taco places plus the county offices. It smelled bad but it wasn't every day and I think people got used to it. This has been going on forever. So can Greeley be that bad?
The Union Stock Yards and Swift Meat Packing closed in 2001 in SA and the area is being redeveloped.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:46 AM

Whoa so where does that ugly smell still come from? lol

Old 03-23-2010, 11:47 AM

My point is BILLY H that it was there for many many years, doesn't matter if it is closed or not.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,107 times
When I moved here, a transvestite was bludgeoned over the head to death with a fire extinguisher just because he was a tranny. Me and my husband bought a used truck and within three weeks the stereo was ripped out of it. At least once a month at a clinic my husband works at a car will be broken into. There is gang violence, the court system has a special gang unit. We live in a nice neighborhood and we have just recently have had graffiti in the park. The license plate stickers on me and my husbands cars looks like someone was trying to rip it off to use it. The poverty rate is around 34%, but that is vastly under-reported because of all the illegal immigrants. The smell is so bad some days, that I have seriously considered reporting it to the EPA-it has to be a health hazard. One cold winter day, the whole town smelled like cat ****-then I thought it's the ammonia that Swift sprays on meat as an antimicrobial. It not only smells bad, but it is actually dangerous to peoples' health. But as you can see most people just make light of the smell. Me and my husband will fortunately escape Greality this summer. Greeley has one of the 13 high density feedlots in the nation, not cute little farms, these cows are knee deep in crap being slaughted 43,000 cows a day! How can this town not smell bad. Shannox, I respectfully disagree with you about crime and the smell. If you want to defend the town I would say the people are down to earth (especially compared to Fort Collins where people can get a little pretentious) are very welcoming and the University of Northern Colorado is quite affordable.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:00 PM

13 posts, read 45,511 times
This was a very nice thread for me to see (up until the last post...) seeing as how my fiance and I were very seriously looking into to moving to Greeley. I've seen a lot of posts about the smell, but I can tell you right now, being from a small town in KS, that will not bother us. I work with a woman now who is from this area and she said she loves Greeley. She didn't mention anything terrible about it, not even the smell. I can't help but wonder if a lot of the gruff Greeley gets is from the "upper" class people looking down on those who roll up their sleeves every day and get the dirty jobs done. If Greeley is that kind of town, I'm sure my fiance and I will fit right in.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:36 PM

138 posts, read 304,876 times
I am going to chime in to you independenthope just because I think Greeley gets a bad name, my family an I just moved to Fortcollins an everything that was being said about Greeley scared me away from it then I went to the Greeley no smells it must have been a good day I was wondering if people were saying bad things about Greeley because of all the immigrants there are alot, but very nice family's wan't no more than what anybody else has, yeh there is crime hell what state has no crime the cost of living is worth the move they have some nice homes,Fortcollins is more retired people,active people,laidback people small,everything is in walking distance there are not alot of jobs,but I think thats everywhere right now, there are alot of houses on the market they won't tell you that, but if you do you'r homework you can see there are apartments, townhomes just built that are empty a realtor told me it look like it was doing great out here then everything just hit a wall if you are looking for a piece of mind here it is in Fortcollins (smile) at least when I went to Loveland an Greeley hell there was something all ways to do.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:07 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,328 times
Greeley smells clean and crime is not that bad

That's a motto the Greeley Chamber of Commerce needs to adopt.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:26 PM

13 posts, read 47,274 times
Been to Greeley many times -- hate to say but I agree with the smell. Unless you own a stockyard and then its the smell of money -- or so they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area