Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 02:22 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,617,922 times

Advertisements

She's very open and sincere! Just like most folks that are from Texas that moves to CO. So CO residents be nice to the ones you see on the road w/ Texas plates . So it looks like we're going to loose another great Texans in the Lone Star State, but don't worry......... I am not to far behind

I wish I can put my few cents in, but I cannot since I don't know Denver like I know Colorado Springs, which I am sure her family does not want to be. I do want to say if FC is where she wants to be, I really think Colo Spgs would be a good choice due to the fact Ft. Carson is there w/ hospital and VA help when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Now this is the type of people I like to help on this forum, caring and intelligent people. Notice the nice response to my suggestions which where very well written. It shows that this woman is much more educated and intelligent than your formal education certificates will show. From much of my experience in life, I have learned that a college education does not necessarily give people anymore intelligence; it gives them the knowledge to use the intelligence they already possess. However, many people look at the diploma as a substitute for brains.

I do not totally agree with her response but that is their lives and wants, but I respect what they are saying. In addition, it is pleasant to here a woman doing research for the programs that can benefit her family.

She has a perception that the Denver Metro area is all composed of a very intense neighborhoods. That is not true because there are many suburban and city neighborhoods that are much quieter; have less traffic; is less crowded than many areas of Fort Collins. I like Fort Collins and when I moved here, I desired to live there' but it did not happen. But today, I do not think I would live in a College Town because I am much older, but Fort Collins is very tempting. If I did move to that area, I think I would choose Loveland for the relaxing distance from the excitement of the college youth but close enough to the amenities.

Enough of my verbosity. The point of this post was to commend this woman and the excellent attributes which she shows.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 11:57 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
BusyMomma, all the best to you. You're gonna love Colorado. Give my thanks and respect to your husband for his service to our nation.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:47 PM

35 posts, read 129,904 times
Thank you for the compliment and well wishes, Mike! Appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
She's very open and sincere! Just like most folks that are from Texas that moves to CO. So CO residents be nice to the ones you see on the road w/ Texas plates . So it looks like we're going to loose another great Texans in the Lone Star State, but don't worry......... I am not to far behind

I wish I can put my few cents in, but I cannot since I don't know Denver like I know Colorado Springs, which I am sure her family does not want to be. I do want to say if FC is where she wants to be, I really think Colo Spgs would be a good choice due to the fact Ft. Carson is there w/ hospital and VA help when needed.

Thanks, Mike From Back East! I definitely will do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
BusyMomma, all the best to you. You're gonna love Colorado. Give my thanks and respect to your husband for his service to our nation.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-18-2009 at 08:15 AM..

Old 04-22-2009, 12:59 AM

59 posts, read 194,288 times
Hi Busy Mama:

I posted on a previous message and felt the need to post again. I have a special needs child ... am a big fan of Shepardson Elementary School as far as support and inclusion are concerned. Most of the services are done in the classroom so your child isn't pulled out of the classroom. The teachers are fantastic and do a great job of differentiation - making sure the gifted kids, typical kids and spec. ed kids are getting what they need. Depending on what type of services your child needs there are specific schools in the district that might work better. Linton Elementary School has a moderate needs behavior program and the Principal at that school is fantastic!!! Both Shepardson and Linton have a mixed population including free and reduced lunch kids (lower income) and also have English as a 2nd language programs. I like the mix at both of these schools because Fort Collins tends to be a little "lily white" and I embrace any diversity!

[mod cut] Poudre School District is great and highly thought of, especially with special education services that are provided. Again, good luck in your search. Hey, what about Cheyenne for VA services? It's approximately 40 miles North of Fort Collins...just a thought.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-22-2009 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Not permitted, per TOS.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 PM

35 posts, read 129,904 times
Default Thanks isellnoco

Thanks isellnoco!

David struggles with attention span and getting too overwhelmed/emotions. He has ADHD & Bipolar Disorder. But over the past couple years he has made huge progress. Of course, all the progress was made in a very different, more one-on-one environment. So, It's so hard to say how he will do in public school this time around. I will definitely be giving him a go at being in a regular class, at first. He is highly intelligent. And hard working. Special Education will be considered only once the regular classroom option (without assistance) has been exaughsted. But I am still wanting to get a good feel for the right schools to look for (with high-quality special ed programs) if the time comes. It can happen at any time during a school year...and totally turn a parent's world topsy-turvy. So, I am definitely trying to get get prepared.

thanks for the heads up on those schools. I haven't looked into Cheyanne (sp) yet. I am really locked on FC because of the Vineyard church and short distance from the moustains and Horsetooth. But I will look into it. I am learning to continue to keep an open mind...until it's all said and done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isellnoco View Post
Hi Busy Mama:

I posted on a previous message and felt the need to post again. I have a special needs child ... am a big fan of Shepardson Elementary School as far as support and inclusion are concerned. Most of the services are done in the classroom so your child isn't pulled out of the classroom. The teachers are fantastic and do a great job of differentiation - making sure the gifted kids, typical kids and spec. ed kids are getting what they need. Depending on what type of services your child needs there are specific schools in the district that might work better. Linton Elementary School has a moderate needs behavior program and the Principal at that school is fantastic!!! Both Shepardson and Linton have a mixed population including free and reduced lunch kids (lower income) and also have English as a 2nd language programs. I like the mix at both of these schools because Fort Collins tends to be a little "lily white" and I embrace any diversity!

[mod cut] Poudre School District is great and highly thought of, especially with special education services that are provided. Again, good luck in your search. Hey, what about Cheyenne for VA services? It's approximately 40 miles North of Fort Collins...just a thought.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
I know you have a special needs child, and finding a good school is important for him, but there are some othere things you need to consider.

School choice is available all over Colorado per state law. However, the receiving school does not have to take your child if it doesn't have room. For example, you live in attendance area for school "A", and you want to send your kids to school "B", "B" has to have room for them. It may be harder getting three into a choice school than it would be for one. I would suggest searching the entire Colorado forum for special education. There are several posters in other areas of the state that have special ed kids and have information about resources.

Do not get hung up on minor differences in test scores. They don't mean a lot.

There are many non-dom churches all over the Front Range. You will be able to find one no matter where you locate.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:05 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,035 times
I would second checking out Cheyenne for VA treatment. I had a friend from FC who was in a similar situation and he went up to Cheyenne. It's closer than Denver and there's NO traffic to worry about.

As another poster said, I'd also check out the affordable housing program in Fort Collins. The affordable housing program, by the way, is aimed not only at the truly low income but also at people like yourself -- police, firefighters, teachers, etc. The city requires all apartment complexes to reserve a few units for people in this category, and my experience from before was that they often have difficulty finding people who qualify, so they're always eager to make it happen for you if you meet the qualifications.

Best of luck to you on your job! The only real "knock" on Fort Collins is that it can be hard to find jobs; possibly because so many CSU grads stay around town in an underemployed state rather than leaving. If you get some good leads on jobs, I'd say that Fort Collins would be a great town for you and your family.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:22 PM

Hi Busymomma! Welcome to Fort Collins...it is a lily white community with not a lot of diversity, unfortunately. The University brings in some diversity which is nice. Also, about 30% of Poudre School district families opt for School of Choice. Dunn is an IB school and there are a lot of "choice" families that go to that school. If your child high functioning? Really, most of the schools in Poudre School district are great with special needs kids. If your child needs moderate support, I believe the mod. needs schools are Laurel and Linton. You may want to check them out as well. Again, it is a great place to live and it sounds like your research is paying off! Kudos to you!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 PM

Okay, having problems with my posts...I agree with Katiana and school of choice options. It is difficult to choice out of your school with a special ed child, unless the district does it for you. In that case, they will provide busing to and from the school.

Again, I second Katiana...there are a ton of churches around here! You may have a hard time finding just one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area