Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 03:23 PM

22 posts, read 78,977 times

Advertisements

I have a sort of silly question and need some help.

We are new to Ft Collins and I need some opinion/advice on the pet laws.

How strict are the pet laws? I understood when we moved here that we would need to license our pets, no problem. I did not understand, however, that there are outdoor pet policies that include my neutered outdoor cat. My cat generally stays in my back yard but will occasionally take a trip to the front yard/an open field or some other interest. I am not looking for a debate about outdoor cats please, he has been one for the 9 years we have had him. When we got him, we owned acreage and he was free to roam and sadly we are in a regular subdivision now. My dog is always confined to the yard except when leashed for walks.

My sister in law owns a cat that occasionally gets out (she lives in FTC). She has had to go to bail her cat out twice. I believe it was $40 the first time and even more the 2nd time. I do not know if a neighbor is turning the cat in or if the pound just keeps a special eye out for her cat. I am not sure if it is the Humane Society or an animal control who takes care of these things out here, but they seem to be very very strict about the cats here. Is this true or is my sil making a mountain out of a mole hill (or overexaggerating??)?

I know, I should have researched this before I moved here and I didn't. My bad. I just want to know how things really are here.

Your experiences/feedback?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 03:43 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,136,306 times
Here are the relevant sections of the Ft Collins Municipal Code:

Fort Collins Municipal Code and Charter - Chapter 4: Animals and Insects

Quote:
Sec. 4-93. Animals at large prohibited.

(a) All pet animals, except birds, shall be kept under restraint. It shall be unlawful for the owner or keeper of any pet animal, except birds, to permit such animal to be at large in the City.
. . .

Sec. 4-136. Authorization for capture and impoundment.

Animal control officers and police officers are hereby authorized to take or capture animals deemed by them to be included in the categories listed below and impound them at an animal shelter or other appropriate location where the animals will be confined in a humane manner. . .
(1) Animals at large,
. . .

Sec. 4-137. Notice of impoundment.

If, by tags or other identification attached to the animal or any other information given to the animal shelter, the owner of an impounded animal can be identified, an animal control officer or other animal shelter representative shall, immediately upon impoundment, notify the owner of such impoundment.
. . .

Sec. 4-140. Impound fees.

(a) An owner or keeper reclaiming an impounded animal shall pay an impound fee and a daily boarding fee, both as established by the City Manager upon recommendation of the operator of the animal shelter, plus all actual and necessary veterinary costs incurred on behalf of the animal. The amount of the impound fee may depend upon the type of animal involved, its age, its licensing status and whether it has been impounded more than once in a twelve-month period. No owner or keeper may reclaim an impounded animal until he or she has paid the impoundment fee, boarding fees and veterinary costs.

(b) It is unlawful for an owner or keeper of any impounded animal to fail to pay all fees and charges incurred as a result of the impoundment.
. . .

(c) An owner or keeper reclaiming an impounded dog or cat must present satisfactory proof of vaccination for rabies and a valid license to the animal shelter prior to reclaiming the dog or cat.
. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area