Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:15 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Truly disappointing to hear what has happened to Weston Town Center. We lived in Weston from 99-06. Watched it being built. Remember bike riding there on Thanksgiving day in 1999, when only Walgreens was open and clock was just put in. We are living back in NY now,but are very seriously looking to return to Weston. Seeing everything that is being said we get a bit nervous to make the move right now and will wait until Jan. to look again. Wanted same house we sold in 06 back again. Shockinlgly as was looking online I noticed our house we only sold 4 years ago was in Short Sale!! Took a chance but someone beat us to it ...cried all night.

Loved ...loved...loved the Cheese Course so we hope it remains strong. Did notice they opened up one a bit north in Delray I think. Forget Whole Foods...way too over -priced with economy the way it is. I vote that Trader Joes get into area they would clean up!! I did put in request to TJ's. Who knows. It would boost any area it opens up in. Looks like Tarantellas is still there seems those are the only 2 original places left. Sad.
Starbucks , Barbara Palacios Jewelry , Tarantellas and Cheese Course are the only original places left on Main Street although Japan Inn which is just east of the main street in TC is still around and pretty good . Although we now live in Parkland .. we get down to Weston frequently as we have many friends and family still there ... you do not realize how nice it is until you leave .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Having lived in Weston from 2000-2010 I can honestly say Weston Town Center was never all that great. It was always overpriced and never really had any great retail establishments. I can honestly say that my husband and I always looked to eat outside of Weston. None of the restaurants were that great.

However, Weston does remain a nice place to live. The public schools in Weston are much better than the rest of Broward (although IMO all FL schools are weak at best). The community remains beautiful and the streets are not heavily trafficked.

Our kids attended the charter school in Weston until 5th grade. Now that our youngest has started private school we decided that we wanted more land and to live a little further east so we moved to Plantation. However, Weston remains a lovely community.

My youngest son is still playing football and lacrosse in Weston and we still have many friends there. I would not hesitate to recommend Weston to anyone who intends to use the public school system.

I agree with you ... good post .. although we liked Sushi Tom and Bonefish Grill on Weston Road ... all other restaurants were average .. we miss Offerdahls bagels though . Just got back from having a late lunch with my wife in Plantation at the Beverly Hills Cafe ... had not been there in years ... I forgot how nice and green Plantation can be how are you liking it there compared to Weston ?

Old 11-23-2010, 03:22 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
East City Grill was above average!

Old 11-23-2010, 03:42 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I agree with you ... good post .. although we liked Sushi Tom and Bonefish Grill on Weston Road ... all other restaurants were average .. we miss Offerdahls bagels though . Just got back from having a late lunch with my wife in Plantation at the Beverly Hills Cafe ... had not been there in years ... I forgot how nice and green Plantation can be how are you liking it there compared to Weston ?
We really like living here. It's closer to school (American Heritage), closer to work (Las Olas) and very convenient to every highway. BUT it's still quiet (a must for me) and it is not overly congested. I think the eastern part of town is a little more congested but the western part is pretty easy as far as driving is concerned.

I really like having nice outdoor space. In Weston we had a nice pool and we had the lake in back of the house, but no real outdoor space. Here we have a large pool area but still have plenty of outdoor space.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:08 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,833,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Truly disappointing to hear what has happened to Weston Town Center. We lived in Weston from 99-06. Watched it being built. Remember bike riding there on Thanksgiving day in 1999, when only Walgreens was open and clock was just put in. We are living back in NY now,but are very seriously looking to return to Weston. Seeing everything that is being said we get a bit nervous to make the move right now and will wait until Jan. to look again. Wanted same house we sold in 06 back again. Shockinlgly as was looking online I noticed our house we only sold 4 years ago was in Short Sale!! Took a chance but someone beat us to it ...cried all night.

Loved ...loved...loved the Cheese Course so we hope it remains strong. Did notice they opened up one a bit north in Delray I think. Forget Whole Foods...way too over -priced with economy the way it is. I vote that Trader Joes get into area they would clean up!! I did put in request to TJ's. Who knows. It would boost any area it opens up in. Looks like Tarantellas is still there seems those are the only 2 original places left. Sad.
Don't be too discouraged - Weston is still a great place!

Old 11-23-2010, 07:14 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,833,137 times
Weston still has very nice places to eat - Cheese Course, East City Grill, Japan Inn, Tarantella, Aquolina, Il Toscano, Moon Thai, Ireland's Steak House, Domenick's, La Perla.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Weston still has very nice places to eat - Cheese Course, East City Grill, Japan Inn, Tarantella, Aquolina, Il Toscano, Moon Thai, Ireland's Steak House, Domenick's, La Perla.

Where is Irelands Steak House ?

As someone who has been to Lima , Peru several times ... I thought La Perla was barely adequate for Peruvian Food ... we prefer sushi Tom right next door .... how is Aquolina ?

Old 11-24-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
We really like living here. It's closer to school (American Heritage), closer to work (Las Olas) and very convenient to every highway. BUT it's still quiet (a must for me) and it is not overly congested. I think the eastern part of town is a little more congested but the western part is pretty easy as far as driving is concerned.

I really like having nice outdoor space. In Weston we had a nice pool and we had the lake in back of the house, but no real outdoor space. Here we have a large pool area but still have plenty of outdoor space.

Good for you ... yes Plantation is very nice and very green which is what I liked best ... still one of the best places to live in Broward along with Cooper City , West Davie , Weston , Parkland and most of Coral Springs .. I have always heard that the lot lines and outdoor spaces were large in Plantation .

Old 11-24-2010, 03:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Good for you ... yes Plantation is very nice and very green which is what I liked best ... still one of the best places to live in Broward along with Cooper City , West Davie , Weston , Parkland and most of Coral Springs .. I have always heard that the lot lines and outdoor spaces were large in Plantation .
The downside is that the middle/high schools are not good. If you are intent on public schools through HS Plantation can be a tough place to live. If we run out of money to pay tuition (or our kids lose their scholarships) I will have to buy a curriculum and home school them.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
The downside is that the middle/high schools are not good. If you are intent on public schools through HS Plantation can be a tough place to live. If we run out of money to pay tuition (or our kids lose their scholarships) I will have to buy a curriculum and home school them.
Wow , just from driving around Plantation you would think the public schools would be at least as good as the ones in Cooper City or Weston ?

Are the mediocre schools east of University ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area