Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 07:31 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,713,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Wow , just from driving around Plantation you would think the public schools would be at least as good as the ones in Cooper City or Weston ?

Are the mediocre schools east of University ?

The elementary schools are excellent. Seminole Middle is very good if your child is in the Decal Program. Last I read, it was a A school. The high schools draw from a lot of dicey neighborhoods and most parents end up sending their kids to private or magnet for high school or relocating to Cooper City, Davie, Coral Springs or Weston. The high schools are so huge here, I would be reluctant to send a kid to any of them if I could help it and aim for a school within a school - specifically an IB program - no matter where I lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 03:01 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Wow , just from driving around Plantation you would think the public schools would be at least as good as the ones in Cooper City or Weston ?

Are the mediocre schools east of University ?
Well-They're not mediocre, they're terrible. Plantation HS is a C school, up from a D. South Plantation is a D, down from a C. Both HS are fed from Title I schools outside of Plantation city limits.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:00 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,833,137 times
Quote:
Where is Irelands Steak House ?

As someone who has been to Lima , Peru several times ... I thought La Perla was barely adequate for Peruvian Food ... we prefer sushi Tom right next door .... how is Aquolina ?

Aquolina is very awesome, to put it simple.

Ireland's is in the Hyatt (in Bonaventure)

Old 11-26-2010, 04:24 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,054,754 times
Just had some pizza from Pizza Fusion off Weston Rd. Expensive, but delicious and healthy !

A real shame about the Weston Town Center =(

Old 11-27-2010, 09:02 AM

115 posts, read 337,491 times
We just moved to Weston, and are renting within walking distance of the Town Center, which at first we were very excited about, but after walking over several times, it just got a little boring, although it does look pretty now at night, with all the holiday decorations. I like Weston for how clean and well manicured and pleasant to the eye it is, and the school next door is great,but the lack of things to do outside of school activities and playgrounds is annoying. Just today I was thinking I would like to go to Macys quickly to check out the sales, but the thought of driving I don't know how long to get to a decent mall (Aventura or Boca) fully dissuaded me, so oh well, another dull day in my pretty backyard on my pretty street.
They do need a bookstore at the Town Center, please don't tell me they are closing the Gifted Child toy store, that's like the only thing I can do with the kids there. That, and staying in line at Yogurtland.
Whole Foods there would be great too, and although expensive, I am pretty sure it would fit the Weston demographics.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:56 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,713,503 times
Keep in mind that there's also a Macy's at the Galleria Mall downtown on Sunrise - while still not close, it is closer than Aventura or Boca.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:29 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,803,481 times
Is there still one at Pembroke Lakes (yuck - I know) and Broward Mall(ditto). Also the plus to Weston is the proximity to Sawgrass.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:12 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Is there still one at Pembroke Lakes (yuck - I know) and Broward Mall(ditto). Also the plus to Weston is the proximity to Sawgrass.
We also liked Weston for its lovely appearance and safety ... as we had young girls they were involved in various dance classes and sports at the YMCA .. my wife and I also enjoyed the parks ... Country Isles , Peace Mound and of course Weston Regional Park ... you always had stuff going on at nearby Markham Park as well .... although it had not yet opened when we lived there ... Pembroke Gardens is fifteen minutes south on I-75 and has excellent shopping and restaurants .. also I am a cyclist and found Weston to be great place for cycling .. in short although a Whole Foods and Borders or Barnes and Noble would have been great at the Town Center .. we never found Weston boring . Last with the Bank Atlantic Center being so close by we also enjoyed many concerts and Panthers games .

Old 11-28-2010, 07:47 AM

995 posts, read 3,930,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackHomeMIA View Post
Just today I was thinking I would like to go to Macys quickly to check out the sales, but the thought of driving I don't know how long to get to a decent mall (Aventura or Boca) fully dissuaded me, so oh well, another dull day in my pretty backyard on my pretty street.
Believe it or not, many Westoners like Weston because there are no malls. They vetoed a mall project recently.

As for Publix in Town Center, I believe Publix had the highest bid for the location. Whole Foods or Fresh Market would have been better. Or Barnes and Noble. But Publix draws lots of local traffic.

I still can't believe that there are no bookstores in Weston. It shows how superficial Westoners are.

As for Yogurtland, my friend and I contemplated on opening one in Weston in 2008 (after we saw one in Dallas, TX). But according to a rumor, the franchise fee was $3MM.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:55 PM

115 posts, read 337,491 times
Ha ha, we also thought of opening another self serve froyo place in Weston (maybe in the Weston Commons),after seeing howbusy the one in the Town Center was! Got tired of the long lines. California was full of them, no lines anywhere, I guess people got tired of them after a while. And I keep trying to tell my dh although it's fat free, if you eat two pounds of it you'll still gain some weight!

Anyways, Yougurtland at the TC is good because people keep coming and then the Town Center doen's look like a ghost town anymore. On a hot summer night the place is packed.

I still prefer proximity to malls that have Nordtrom and Macys (that's why I can't shop in Pembroke Pines), but for the sake of the kiddies I'll stick with Weston for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area