Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:09 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC0302 View Post
Thanks SwimMom & GreenEyes - it's so nice to here some positives. We'll be looking into your suggestions.

BTW - we're digging out of 27" of snow and are battling 35-45 mile winds. There are actually people in cars stuck on the Garden State Pkwy for the past 12 hours I can't wait to get out of here!!!
I know my parents are in Manchester/Lakewood they cant open their front door..they will be up here Jan 7th they cant wait..lol my sister well she is stuck in Staten Island omg I saw the pics on Facebook and I couldnt believe it...

You stay safe and warm...and if I can answer any questions pls feel free to ask..I would check in the Boca Schools Palm Beach County, also a very little part of Delray attends the schools my kids attend here in Boca I could give you the Zip Codes if interested.. also...and look in Cooper City Broward County..and Parkland...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 11:17 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
And you left out the "best" part, the people! ROFLMAO!!! And as if on cue, they attacked.....dealing with the folks down there in the course of business is like trying to make friends with an angry Pit Bull....seek out my threads on this and you tell me:

Do any of them seem familiar with your exeperience of living in South Florida?

It's all yours....of course, if you spent your time in NYC all your life it probably is a step up if for no other reason, the weather...

Best luck and wishes to all who call South Florida home. I do mean that.

Couldnt agree more. I got the #$!! out of FL 3 months ago and the only thing I can say is, South florida is not normal. I lived there all my life and people are just down right rude. I have traveled a little and realize, thank goodness, not everyone is like that. South Florida is like an infectious bacteria that spreads when you live there.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Couldnt agree more. I got the #$!! out of FL 3 months ago and the only thing I can say is, South florida is not normal. I lived there all my life and people are just down right rude. I have traveled a little and realize, thank goodness, not everyone is like that. South Florida is like an infectious bacteria that spreads when you live there.
And we were very happy we left Waxhaw/Marvin in June of 09 when we did.it wasnt soon enough..We cant see the fancination with it but lets face it what is good for me and my family might not be good for someone else..Your comment is a bit interesting as all of us found those people in NC to be quiet rude and very materialistic as well as Cliquey...and We live in Boca and have more friends here than we did where we used to live.let alone we our friends are all down to earth and very normal...It wasnt our cup of tea but I wont say that WAXHAW is infectious bacteria like you did for South Florida cause that would not be nice, although everyone else seems to think its Utopia...anyway the only thing I will give it was we were happy with our son's middle school at the time...We love it in south florida..and it was the best move for us.. I dont agree with you.either Hence dh actually met quiet a few people from waxhaw/marivn who moved back here and were sorry they left..."there words" I thought cheaper was better...There is no such thing as a perfect place and there is no such thing as Utopia....

Old 12-27-2010, 04:56 PM

We Are so very happy we left Waxhaw/Marvin in June of 09 after living there for 2 years it wasn't soon enough in our opinion. We cant see the fascination with it but lets face it what is good for me and my family might not be good for someone else..Your comment is a bit interesting as all of us found those people in NC to be quiet rude and very materialistic as well as Cliquey and Phony...and We live in Boca and have more friends here than we did there, and we can be ourselves and all of our friends here are all down to earth and very normal...Waxhaw wasn't our cup of tea but I wont say that WAXHAW is infectious bacteria like you did for South Florida cause that would not be nice let alone very offensive for those who like it there. Even though everyone else seems to think its Utopia...anyway the only thing I will give it was we liked our son's middle school at the time...We love it in south Florida and can not imagine living anywhere else. We are from NY and NJ this was the best move for us.. I don't agree with you your posting it sounds to be your a bit bitter. DH actually has met quiet a few people from waxhaw/marivn who moved back here and were sorry they left..."there words" I thought cheaper was better. and thought id we would find Nice People. With that There is no such thing as a perfect place and there is no such thing as Utopia....

Just having problems with my computer if this is a duplicate I apologize

Old 12-27-2010, 06:05 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,194 times
Quote:

I find So Fla to be very normal .. especially considering the melting pot that it is .. people from other cities and countries .. it is either So Cal or So Fla for me ... I love it down here ... we have family , great friends .. enjoy the outdoors , I am a certified diver .. taking up golf ... yes you do have your share of a holes down here and rude people , some not all ... if your perception is that "all " people are rude then you must be the problem .. I have been here for almost fifteen years , live in a beautiful community in a nice home that I busted my butt for ... and frankly the only thing that has been depressing lately is seeing posts like yours ... NC is a beautiful state love to visit though not live there ... I used to travel the Raleigh - Durham area ( Research Triangle ) it was boring and bland ... you could not pay me enough to live there .

The "Germ"

Old 12-27-2010, 06:34 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Default It's a Visceral place to live...either love it or hate it...no middle ground...

Quote:
Yeah...to say it's "unique" is an understatement and to be fair per the lady's quote, there is no utopia. I agree with that. I just find So Fla to be particularly nasty compared to the other places I have lived or been to include Houston, Ohio, Georgia, Hawaii, Tennessee, and South Carolina....and yes, South Florida......

Just testy from the word go...read some of my old threads about it....check out the BK on Stirling and I-95.....just stop in the drive thru and see if you can get a coke and always ask directions on how to get to I-95 (if you lean forward hard enough, and look right, you can hear it and see it)...chances are, the help can't tell you but, like all good South Florida labor....they only know how to get to work....this is an area that is impossible to get lost in due to the East/West, North/South grid.....

To be sure, I did enjoy scuba diving there, quite a bit. Nothing like free lobster when you need it.....but, the trade off in bad debt and the constant wrangling with service personnel and business in general???

Uh....nope.....just couldn't do it a another minute and I gave it 8 and a half years.....nah......I would rather stay where I am at and that's after 13 years of "healing"....although I do still get down there from time to time....how people afford it now? Unknown but to God.....

Wow, if the folks down there were living off debt back then, I can't even begin to imagine what the mortgages look like now...must be interest only for fully 1/2 of the homes purchased......noooooooo thanks......

Hey, to each, his own. Best wishes and I can only hope your experiences in South Florida were/are much better than mine....even after 20 years.....but, I doubt it...

Old 12-27-2010, 06:45 PM

My family has been up here 20 years and still love it...my friends are here from NY 20 years and love it..we are here almost 2 years and after living in so many places and meeting all kinds of people I will tell you we will love living here in 20 years..Again there is no such thing as perfect..it fits our personality it fits our life style and my children are very happy... as well as DH and I

Old 12-27-2010, 06:50 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Willing to bet south Florida looks very appealing to many in the NE right now.

A little heat here and there does not compare to the weather in the NE today. Not even close.

If there were more antiques, flea markets etc for us in south Florida we would be looking in that area.

We have to stay central to do all the things we as a family enjoy or we would be heading south for sure.

Swimmom your success proves that if people plan, research and make good decisions like you did you can find the best place for you and your family no matter where it is.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:56 PM

Sunny it took us a few states LOL but we did find our Happiness and where my WHOLE family is finally happy

Old 12-27-2010, 07:40 PM

46 posts, read 150,664 times
Default How's Vero Beach

Swim Mom, I've been researching all day; while hubby shoveled away the now 35" of icy cold snow

Do you know anything about Vero Beach? It was recommended on a few posts and I checked it out for crime, schools, home prices, etc. It sounds like it has that small town feel we're looking for And the prices are quite reasonable.....any info would be appreciated...thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area