Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 11:58 AM

43 posts, read 358,289 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I live in Southern California and my wife and I looking to relocate to Miami or Fort Lauderdale because I have family there and that would allow me to be closer to Europe (most of our families live there).

We like it here in Southern California but are seriously considering FL because it is closer to Europe (distance, time difference) compared to the West Coast and we have family in FL. Also, my wife loves warm tropical weather year-round (so do I actually) and CA is sunny but not always warm. Rain does not bother us as long as it stays warm.

I do not have a job offer from FL so I am looking for jobs from here in CA and if I get an offer,we will move.

I have a few questions first:

How much is rent for a 2 bedroom/2bath condo in a decent area? How mush for a 1bedroon/1bath in a decent area? I do not mind driving up to 45 minutes to work. What are some areas we can consider in Miami and Fort Lauderdale?

I have been to Miami once and I found it very useful to speak Spanish ( my wife and I are fluent in Spanish). Is it an advantage in the workplace to speak Spanish?

Thanks a lot for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 08:21 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,833,137 times
Weston

Old 05-29-2011, 12:48 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,475,304 times
Speaking Spanish is a HUGE advantage in the workplace down here. You pretty much need to know Spanish to work in Miami. Not so much in Fort Lauderdale but it still is an asset.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:37 PM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,989 times
As Nolefan suggested, you'll need spanish in Miami for sure. As for rents, quick search on Craigslist will give you a good idea of rents in the area. Moderator cut: no advertising

Where is your family located? That makes a big difference on where you would probably want to live.

Last edited by fauve; 06-06-2011 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 06-05-2011, 11:08 PM

43 posts, read 358,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr2 View Post
As Nolefan suggested, you'll need spanish in Miami for sure. As for rents, I have a fully renovated 2/2 in West Tamarac (decent area) that I'm asking $975/mo for. Though a quick search on Craigslist will give you a good idea of rents in the area.

Where is your family located? That makes a big difference on where you would probably want to live.
I have most of my family living in NYC (I would try to fly to NYC often while living in FL). But ultimately, my parents and my sister are going to move to Florida and live there 8 months per year and spend the other 4 months in NYC. They are considering living in Broward County or Palm Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area