Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 AM

24 posts, read 87,741 times

Advertisements

I'm a 26 year old male looking to move south to Florida and find a place to rent. (coming from Pennsylvania).

I'm torn between Tampa and Fort Lauderdale.

I've got a friend who lives in Tampa and loves it. He says it's more of a "cliquey" and more "tight-knit" area. It would be cool to move somewhere where I know someone.

But on the other hand Fort Lauderdale looks awesome from what I've seen.

I've never been to either place and just looking for your opinion. Pros/cons.

By the way I'm a 26 year old guy looking to meet a lot of girls, hang out downtown, and go out at night. I'd like to live somewhere "close to the action" and preferably close to the beach... Which is why I was looking at renting a place in the downtown Fort Lauderdale area.

P.S. A job is not an issue, I run an Internet business from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 09:39 AM

149 posts, read 465,672 times
Sick dude. I am looking for work in marketing and/or advertising. My bachelors is in Communications. Do Fort Lauderdale and look at Hollywood like I previously said in other threads.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:45 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
go to Tampa, like you said you already know someone there.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:36 PM

100 posts, read 328,711 times
Alright dude, I'mma be straight up with you.

I'm from Pennsylvania as well. I'm 27, however moved to Florida when I was 18. (I effin hated PA)

I lived in both Tampa and Fort Luaderdale and I say with out a doubt u should choose Ft. Lauderdale.

Fort Lauderdale is warmer during the winter, is closer to Miami and Boca Raton- West Palm Beach. There is a lot more action happening in southeast Florida vs. Tampa.

Don't get me wrong Tampa is cool, but gets so old very quickly. It's also noticibly cooler during the winter (why move to FL for cool winters?)

Fort Lauderdale's beaches are top notch, not to mention you're close to Miami and everything happening down there yet far enough away that u dont feel like u have to speak spanish.

I'm telling u South Florida is wheres it's at. U have Las Olas Blvd in Lauderdale, Boca Raton close by, same with West Palm. and Miami is only like 25 mins away. U also have Hollywood and Aventura close by lauderdale as well. .

Tampa is so one sided and to be honest, it sometimes has a "southern feel" to it which is OK i guess if you're into that, but being that ur from PA u prob dont identify with confederate flags, etc.

Theres more diversity in south florida as well. U mentioned u wanna some fly mamacitas? come to "fort liquordale" u wanna beautiful beach with beautiful weather? u want to be close to the action? Lauderdale baby. che!!

Old 08-30-2011, 02:08 PM

24 posts, read 87,741 times
@dreamingofsunshine123 - Thanks man!!

You just confirmed a lot of what I already thought about Fort Lauderdale and I feel a lot more confident about moving there now. Thanks bro!

Old 08-30-2011, 04:45 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
I totally agree with dreamingofsunshine123. Fort Lauderdale is the better option given the OP's situation. It does help to have a friend though. But if you are cool moving to a new area not knowing anyone, this is the place.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:14 PM

4 posts, read 20,857 times
If you wnna party come to Fort Lauderdale. If you want a nice clean place close to the beach with lower rent and slower pace where you can eventually settle down with a nice girl and raise a family then move to Tampa. I have lived in both and I really dont like it in FOrt Lauderdale. there are alot of people from PA in Tampa and the beaches on the guld coast are to die for. Nice white sands and nice clear water.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:22 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Everyone has their own opinion of which is "better". If you are from Fort Lauderdale, you will think its better than Tampa. If you are from Tampa, you will think its better than Ft. Lauderdale. Just depends who you ask. Fort Lauderdale is a faster pace of life. Tampa is a slower pace of life. There is more stuff to do in Fort Lauderdale than Tampa, but both areas have a good amount of stuff.

I will disagree with TanteHannah on the beaches though. Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater beaches are not that nice compared to other parts of the west coast. The nicer beaches with white sand are Naples, Fort Myers, and up on the Panhandale of FL. Tampa beaches have browner sand and are roped off in certain areas. I was very unimpressed with Clearwater Beach. Fort Lauderdale Beach is nicer IMO than those beaches in Tampa.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:50 AM

438 posts, read 653,246 times
For a young person---Fort Lauderdale, hands down. Not knockin' or anything, but to me Tampa is more conservative and a bit red necky. Only reason I'd go back there is to do Busch Gardens again. And now that I'm thinking about it, Busch Gardens is the only thing there.

Especially if you want to meet hot girls. Again, this isn't a knock but Fort Lauderdale women are way hotter.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:54 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,505,983 times
The cost of living is lower in Tampa,maybe it's better for a young
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area