Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:44 AM

173 posts, read 680,859 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Florida a month or so ago (I am staying with an aunt in Ft. Lauderdale) and recently I decided to take a drive down to Hollywood. I like how it is eclectic and have that old-florida funkiness about it that I really don't find in Ft. Lauderdale. Also I like the fact that it is tree-shaded downtown and I totally fell in love with the lushness and tall palm tree shaded scenery of Hollywood blvd close to the beach! All of those qualities are exactly what I'm looking for in my ideal city. HOWEVER, there are only a few nice parts I saw in Hollywood. The majority of what I saw seems pretty dumpy and not so nice, even parts around the beach. I like the gritty factor to an extent though......

Are there more nice areas in the city like what I described previously? Also, any other south Florida cities with similarities to the vibe and those nicer parts of Hollywood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 09:56 AM
xFM

29 posts, read 93,197 times
Anywhere near Young Circle (downtown) or East of U.S-1. I lived east of U.S-1 on Sheridan Street in a Apartment/Condo complex. Was decent and real close to the beach but not cheap. Living in these areas are not cheap... I paid about $970/month for a real small 1bed/1bath with nothing included.

I don't know too much about west Hollywood...I never ventured out in Hollywood past I-95. Maybe someone else can answer to that...

Old 01-04-2012, 12:11 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
The Hollywood "Lakes District" is really nice and charming, but can be pricey:

North Lake - east of US 1 and north of Hollywood Blvd. as far as Sheridan St., it gets nicer the further east you go. Lake front homes are beautiful and in high demand.

South Lake - east of US 1 and south of Hollywood Blvd. as far as Pembroke Rd. Once again the further east you go the nicer the home.

Diplomat Parkway - southern end of South Lake neighborhood, pricey elegant homes.

Out west, Hollywood Hills and Emerald Hills are nice and above average residential areas.

Don't let anyone tell you Hollywood isn't a beautiful town:

Harrison Street near South Lake.

Downtown Hollywood, Hollywood Blvd. just off Young Circle.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
The downtown, Young Circle, and east of US1 but south of Hollywood Blvd is nice. Once you go north of downtown and Young Circle, it gets really dumpy. Also, there are some shady neighborhoods west of Downtown.

Once you go west of 95, it depends how far west and which areas. The areas west of 95 and between Hollywood Blvd and Sheridan Street are nice for the most part. Once you go south of Hollywood Blvd the area becomes sketchy and downright dangerous as you get near Miami Gardens.

Also, if you go too far west you hit the 441 corridor which is low income and industrial mainly. There is also the Seminole Indian Reservation territory on 441 from around Sheridan Street north to Griffin Road.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:03 PM

22 posts, read 52,316 times
Have you checked out Atlantic Ave in Delray Beach? I'm sure you will like that area too!

Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 PM

58 posts, read 175,298 times
I lived in Hollywood close to Young Circle. Nice area and plans to get nicer. Hollywood Hills is nice. I would say, if you want to stay cheap and nice try staying within this area. Also try Hallondale and Aventura.

Attached Thumbnails
Nice areas in Hollywood?-picture-1.png  

Old 01-05-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna_run_faster View Post
Have you checked out Atlantic Ave in Delray Beach? I'm sure you will like that area too!
I drove through atlantic ave and other parts of Delray just 2 or 3 days ago as a matter of fact. It is like a palm beach version of hollywood, if that makes sense. It is a cool little place but it just doesn't do it for me though in regards to those things I am looking for

Old 01-05-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The Hollywood "Lakes District" is really nice and charming, but can be pricey:

North Lake - east of US 1 and north of Hollywood Blvd. as far as Sheridan St., it gets nicer the further east you go. Lake front homes are beautiful and in high demand.

South Lake - east of US 1 and south of Hollywood Blvd. as far as Pembroke Rd. Once again the further east you go the nicer the home.

Diplomat Parkway - southern end of South Lake neighborhood, pricey elegant homes.

Out west, Hollywood Hills and Emerald Hills are nice and above average residential areas.

Don't let anyone tell you Hollywood isn't a beautiful town:

Harrison Street near South Lake.

Downtown Hollywood, Hollywood Blvd. just off Young Circle.

Thanks for that info. I will check those places out today! Also, those pictures are nice. That area of Hollywood makes me weak in the knees. There is just something so appealing about it to me. The tall palms lining and shading the streets and the upkept older ranch style homes all fit my ideal.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
The downtown, Young Circle, and east of US1 but south of Hollywood Blvd is nice. Once you go north of downtown and Young Circle, it gets really dumpy. Also, there are some shady neighborhoods west of Downtown.

Once you go west of 95, it depends how far west and which areas. The areas west of 95 and between Hollywood Blvd and Sheridan Street are nice for the most part. Once you go south of Hollywood Blvd the area becomes sketchy and downright dangerous as you get near Miami Gardens.

Also, if you go too far west you hit the 441 corridor which is low income and industrial mainly. There is also the Seminole Indian Reservation territory on 441 from around Sheridan Street north to Griffin Road.
Yea I noticed all of that. I wish Hollywood didn't have so many dumpy areas though. That is what kinda makes me think twice about considering a move there when I do get my own place.

To add, I was just driving through Hollywood last night and I had a strong urge to lock my car doors and get out as fast as I could. Shady areas and even shadier people exaggerated the gritty feel that the city is famous for. lol.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:17 AM

392 posts, read 1,261,440 times
Hollywood has it's good and bad..... Parts of Hollywood are not the best and parts of Hollywood you can't touch a home for under $750,000. Heck it's like going down to Coconut Grove... You can have expensive shops, homes, condos and then step 3 blocks out and you wouldn't catch me walking around at night...... The same can be said for Coral Gables.... and Light House Point for that matter..... I guess the same can be said for Plantation.....

When you live in Hollywood you learn the good and bad areas very quickly and certain areas you just don't go into if you have no business being there.... There's no having to lock your car doors if you don't venture into the not so nice areas....

I've lived in Emerald Hills part of Hollywood for many years and have never had a problem.....

The areas Clark Park mentioned are excellent......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area