Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2008, 07:19 AM

4 posts, read 24,775 times

Advertisements

I am trying to help my daughter (Art Institute student) find an apartment in Ft Lauderdale. I live 1200 miles away so everyone I call about an apt tells me that its in a good area. I am afraid that she will make a decision that is not right. An area can look good but have a lot of crime. So, if you have a daughter or sister, which parts of town would you want her to stay away from ? Someone told me that Victoria park and Wilton Manor were good, is this true ? Please help as I dont know where else to turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 07:43 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times
I think Victoria Park's safety is dependent upon what part of that area you are in. Don't know much about Wilton Manors

Old 07-27-2008, 08:53 AM

Default Yikes

So it gets even more complicated ? I thought Victoria Park was like a big sub division or somthing and didnt know that there were both bad and good areas !

Does anyone have a nice studio in a good area for rent ??????? Shes a great kid, not a party person, full time student and full time employee.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:31 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times
There is someone on this forum who lives in Victoria Park. I will let him chime in, don't want to mislead you. I mean unless a person has spent a extensive amount of time in a area or lived there its really hard to judge a place. I have walked through PARTS of victoria park and it was on the nicer side (closer to las olas side).

What is your price range per mth?

Old 07-27-2008, 11:04 AM

984 posts, read 4,316,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabean View Post
I am trying to help my daughter (Art Institute student) find an apartment in Ft Lauderdale. I live 1200 miles away so everyone I call about an apt tells me that its in a good area. I am afraid that she will make a decision that is not right. An area can look good but have a lot of crime. So, if you have a daughter or sister, which parts of town would you want her to stay away from ? Someone told me that Victoria park and Wilton Manor were good, is this true ? Please help as I dont know where else to turn.
Wilton Manors is a fine and reasonably safe neighborhood, but somewhat close to not so nice areas. But it's fine overall and close to Downtown Fort Lauderdale.

If you have money, rent something in Fort Lauderdale Beach ( the area around South Beach Park ) or maybe Lauderdale-By-the-Sea ( both are safer and better ).

Old 07-27-2008, 11:37 AM

Default What she can afford

The problem is that she cant afford much. Right now she pays about $600 plus utilities so I am looking to keep her around that. She has 2 roomates now in a beautiful condo but roomates are to unreliable and she wants to be the only one responsible for the bills. She would easily take a studio if I could find one in a decent area for that price. She also needs a parking space, not street parking. She has a slight handicap as she can not walk long distances due to a problem with her hip. I like her to be able to park reletively close to her apt because of that and her safety in not being able to move quickly.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:51 AM

64 posts, read 89,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabean View Post
The problem is that she cant afford much. Right now she pays about $600 plus utilities so I am looking to keep her around that. She has 2 roomates now in a beautiful condo but roomates are to unreliable and she wants to be the only one responsible for the bills. She would easily take a studio if I could find one in a decent area for that price. She also needs a parking space, not street parking. She has a slight handicap as she can not walk long distances due to a problem with her hip. I like her to be able to park reletively close to her apt because of that and her safety in not being able to move quickly.

I owned a place in Weston...that's too far and too expensive

For 600 bucks you're not going to get anything safe in Ft. Lauderdale anywhere in my opinion

Old 07-27-2008, 03:53 PM

259 posts, read 1,323,978 times
I live in Victoria Park and so does my 26 yo EA. She feels perfectly safe there, but her rent is not something you are going to like. Your daughter will need at least one roommate to keep her rent under $1000.

She can go a little further north up Dixie Highway into Wilton Manors and there are a couple of brand new complexes. That might shave the rent a bit compared to Vic Park, but it is still likely to start at about $1500.

I would suggest you see what the school recommends for off campus living areas.
They should be both budget and safety conscious for their short list.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:05 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times
As a former mom of a student in Boca (and living far away) and someone who SEARCHED for MONTHS in FLL area this year for my own relocation, (with a budget of 1600.00) I strongly suggest she continue with roommates. Or live on campus. If there's such a thing there.

I was flying down weekly almost, too.

If the roomates are paying the costs, they're good enough probably, lol, as long as they aren't doing other illegal or obnoxious things. She can get "new" roomates perhaps from the school. Maybe an incoming student with a dillegent parent who is willing to sign the lease. I always had to sign my kid's lease and insisted the other parents of roomates did, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area