Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:12 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,428,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
I would NEVER raise kids in So. Florida.... NEVER.

I'm single. No kids ( Thank you Jesus - Thank you Lord ).

However, for families, I advise ANYWHERE in Central and North Florida. Ocala, G-ville, Port Orange, even Tampa area.

Great suggestions. Central Florida is a step above South Florida in many ways. I know you and I may be off topic, but you have valid points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 09:13 AM

423 posts, read 1,644,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Are there communities within Cooper City that have homes with decent land -- about 1/2 acre?
A few and far between... Most homes have smaller lot sizes. What is your budget... i can look it up.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:19 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,706,325 times
Cooper City has got some great schools. Also, Davie and Plantation might be worth considering as well.

Avoid Pompano Beach, it's not all that bad, but it's not all that nice either.
"The Springs" aka Coral Spring....been there, done that.

Miramar? That's like too close to Dade county if u ask me.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:27 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,249,352 times
Just saw some decent properties in SW Ranches but I don't know much about the area... schools, shopping, youth activities??

Old 01-19-2012, 01:48 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,428,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Just saw some decent properties in SW Ranches but I don't know much about the area... schools, shopping, youth activities??
Your kids will most likely be in schools in Davie (for elementary) and you'll have to do your shopping in either Pembroke Pines or Weston. It's mainly a residential area, with plenty of space (along with wildlife ) but little to no amenities in SW Ranches proper. Decent amount of acreage, and space, but little else to do.

Again, you failed to mention your budget for a house. $250k-$300k will get you nothing in that area (SW Ranches). No such thing as nice sized property in SW Broward at these prices. You'll get cookie cutter with little to no yard space in a subdivision. If you have more money, look into Chapel Trail. My parents own 2 properties there, with decent yard space (good by South Florida standards). The houses built at the time offered more space before other developers came in and started squeezing houses in small lots (shameful).

No real backyards in SW Broward when comparing to Atlanta and Central Florida. However, take advantage of the parks in the area. There are plenty.

How long has it been since you left South Florida? Again, good luck with your move.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:28 PM

Range is up to $475K or so... it's been about 4 1/2 years since I left... just when the housing market was crashing. I didn't have any friends in this area and so I never became very familiar with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Your kids will most likely be in schools in Davie (for elementary) and you'll have to do your shopping in either Pembroke Pines or Weston. It's mainly a residential area, with plenty of space (along with wildlife ) but little to no amenities in SW Ranches proper. Decent amount of acreage, and space, but little else to do.

Again, you failed to mention your budget for a house. $250k-$300k will get you nothing in that area (SW Ranches). No such thing as nice sized property in SW Broward at these prices. You'll get cookie cutter with little to no yard space in a subdivision. If you have more money, look into Chapel Trail. My parents own 2 properties there, with decent yard space (good by South Florida standards). The houses built at the time offered more space before other developers came in and started squeezing houses in small lots (shameful).

No real backyards in SW Broward when comparing to Atlanta and Central Florida. However, take advantage of the parks in the area. There are plenty.

How long has it been since you left South Florida? Again, good luck with your move.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,404 times
Default stay in Georgia!!!!

Stay in Georgia, The schools are outstanding compare to the ones in South Florida.
The big back yard don't exist unless you have a lot of money.
And 500 it is not a lot of money in south florida

Find a good location to leave, but don't count on the schools.
private is the only way to go,

Old 04-21-2012, 09:30 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,082,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmom10 View Post
Stay in Georgia, The schools are outstanding compare to the ones in South Florida.
The big back yard don't exist unless you have a lot of money.
And 500 it is not a lot of money in south florida

Find a good location to leave, but don't count on the schools.
private is the only way to go,
Georgia public schools are ranked even lower than Florida .

Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,381,092 times
I have to echo Momma_bear vis a vis Cooper City. While we don't have children, many of our friends do. I believe it's a toss - Plantation or Weston. Good luck!!

Old 04-23-2012, 03:01 PM

Exactly... they are both generally terrible with pockets of good districts... I won't be missing anything in that arena by moving... I think we've ruled out Plantation for the schools and Cooper City for the look/feel... looks like we are focusing on Coral Springs (again), Pembroke Pines, Davie and Weston...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Georgia public schools are ranked even lower than Florida .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area