Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:16 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times

Advertisements

Palm Beach County would certainly be cheaper and so would going even further north to an area like Martin and St. Lucie Counties. I just don't see the logic in the original poster's decision making of why he would want to move here. South FL is a place where you need money to live. I understand wanting to move here because of beaches and nightlife, but if he won't have the money or time to spend on those things, then it is pointless.

If I were the original poster, I would do everything in my power to retrain myself in a different field that is more lucrative. Unless a promotion to a managerial position at Publix is near, I would jump ship and find something different. It sounds like almost any job would be an improvement. Going back to school may be a good route even though loans would be required. Still, at least that gives you some hope of being successful later in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
It's cheaper in Northern South Florida: Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, and Tequesta.
It's also less congested (although it's getting there).
There are also colleges there too.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:23 PM

596 posts, read 1,240,283 times
Learn Spanish if decide to move to So FL.... Just sayin'

Old 07-25-2012, 08:20 PM

367 posts, read 941,465 times
Quote:
Could a guy like me make it in South FL on my salary (about $1150 a month take home pay but that will increase with time, $1150 is current, will be higher by next year) I'm considering attending school in South FL as well, though I'm not sure what to study
You will be making ends meet with 1150 a month. A nice apt is usually near 1k and that may exclude utilities and your other expenses.

Quote:
Is it also true that in South FL, if you don't know Spanish you will in a sense "not survive" In the sense that finding a job is a LOT harder and that I would run into a language barrier with a majority of people?
Not true unless you plan to work in Hialeah or SW Dade. In other areas, most ppl speak English, even people of Spanish speaking descent.

Quote:
Anything else I should know
Are you ok with living among brown and black ppl or would you prefer a predominantly white neighborhood? I ask because I have heard some white ppl say they've felt discriminated in South FL by us (the brown and black people).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area