Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:25 PM

9 posts, read 14,594 times

Advertisements

hello! so my husband and i are planning a move to ft. lauderdale area this coming feburary. I know we have 3 months to plan, but that is not much time. we're a little worried about work, but we will both be working fulltime. i am a hair stylist, been in the business for 9 years (off and on) and would like to get back into it once we move. we are *probably* going to be staying anywhere from Coral Springs clear down to Hollywood. So our living area hasn't been decided yet. My husband is from Pompano/Tamarac area, and i think he'd like to be around there (maybe lauderhill) so any info on those general areas would be great. also there are so many salons down there, i'm looking for suggestions. I like a salon that has a professional/fun enviroment, that is classy but not snobby. I myself don't follow the trends on my own head, but i love to do them, as well as more down to earth stuff, so i'm verstile in what kind of style i can give to others. also looking for a salon that has walk in's to help me build a book, or at least something that gets a lot of exposure. I want a salon that keeps up to date too, and is big on education. so there it is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 04:58 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhumbee View Post
hello! so my husband and i are planning a move to ft. lauderdale area this coming feburary. I know we have 3 months to plan, but that is not much time. we're a little worried about work, but we will both be working fulltime. i am a hair stylist, been in the business for 9 years (off and on) and would like to get back into it once we move. we are *probably* going to be staying anywhere from Coral Springs clear down to Hollywood. So our living area hasn't been decided yet. My husband is from Pompano/Tamarac area, and i think he'd like to be around there (maybe lauderhill) so any info on those general areas would be great. also there are so many salons down there, i'm looking for suggestions. I like a salon that has a professional/fun enviroment, that is classy but not snobby. I myself don't follow the trends on my own head, but i love to do them, as well as more down to earth stuff, so i'm verstile in what kind of style i can give to others. also looking for a salon that has walk in's to help me build a book, or at least something that gets a lot of exposure. I want a salon that keeps up to date too, and is big on education. so there it is...
Do you have a question you would like answered?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:58 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
You must be under the impression that there are thousands of jobs out here just waiting for you to step out onto the red carpet to come and work. Uh...not really. The economy is in the crapper and FL is not one of the better off states. Your making a mistake.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:12 PM

9 posts, read 14,594 times
i was just looking for suggestions as to any nice salons that are down to earth, also good, safe areas to live. i never said that there are thousands of jobs out there waiting for me, as if you haven't noticed the whole U.S. is having economic problems, and i have lived in areas like FL where jobs are hard to come by, and areas where there are more plentiful jobs. i am just looking for INFO on the area, not an opinion on my financial well being.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:51 PM

104 posts, read 229,105 times
There are plenty of salons here. Contrary to popular belief, people do still live and work here.

You probably would want to target salons in high traffic areas like strip malls with a Publix if you will be depending on walk ins. Like it or not, you may have to settle for a Supercuts until you build a client base. The good thing about that is since they seem to have fairly mediocre hairdressers, a good one can get plenty of repeat business and take her show on the road eventually. Also, they seem to be pretty busy. Most hairdressers I know in non chain salons are getting by because they have a great clientele, and the newer ones without clients are scrambling for the walk ins. You could start as a shampoo girl and take what clients they throw you, though.

Paul Miller has a really good salon in Hollywood. I don't know what volume of walk ins he gets, but he's one of the best in the business down here.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:43 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
I'm sorry, but Lauderhill is ghetto...... same goes for North Lauderdale and large swaths of Tamarac.

I would stick to coral springs, plantation, sunrise, davie, cooper city, downtown hollywood, east fort lauderdale. . .

Old 12-07-2011, 11:45 PM

102 posts, read 231,792 times
I would choose to live in Aventura because it borderlines both Miami and Lauderdale 9giving equal access to a job commute) . I primarily chose this location because salons in South Beach are the height of style . I have actually met people who fly into Miami just to get their hair done .

Old 12-11-2011, 05:27 AM

56 posts, read 130,936 times
There's a salon in Margate in the Peppertree Plaza that's pretty up to date and it's a nice little salon with fun employees, it's called Hair On Fire. Also all of their products are organic. (just go to Hair On Fire Salon Margate & Boca Raton Florida 7 Days)

They also have a location in Boca which might get you better tips since it's a richer area but don't quote me on that.
I'm also not even sure if they are hiring, but it's worth a try. Their stylists are so fun and outgoing. I love going there.

Now depending on how much you'll be able to afford, Coral Springs is generally a nice area and so is anything north of it.

Tamarac is a nice area if you stay near Taravella High School but once you get closer to Oakland Park it turns to not such a desireable area.

I honestly can't say I like South Florida (the unemployment rate here is lower than the U.S. average and the education system sucks as well)

However if you really want to move back, I will list the decent areas and the bad to help you out.

Good areas:
Coral Springs (just make sure you avoid the places between Sample & Wiles on Riverside)
Coconut Creek (try looking into the township off of lyons and sample)
Parkland (though very expensive)
Tamarac (if you stay near Taravella and away from the border of Oakland Park)
Boca Raton (a bit pricey though I have found some cheaper places)

Bad Areas:
Oakland Park
Fort Lauderdale
Lauderhill
Davie
Hallendale
Generally anything south of Coral Springs

I typed this up in a rush so I might have missed somethings, but if you need
anymore help you can DM me anytime.

You can certainly find affordable housing in South Florida.. however the chances of you finding
it in a safe neighborhood are unlikely. You get what you pay for pretty much.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:19 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingthe516 View Post
Bad Areas:
Oakland Park
Fort Lauderdale
Lauderhill
Davie
Hallendale
Generally anything south of Coral Springs

I typed this up in a rush so I might have missed somethings, but if you need
anymore help you can DM me anytime.
Clearly you typed in a rush as your list is pretty inaccurate. Let's address each:

1. Oakland Park is not a bad area. It has many very nice established neighborhoods and well-regarded public schools. In addition Wilton Manor's growth and rehabbing has spilled over into Oakland Park's west side.

2. All of Fort Lauderdale is bad? That's the most astounding statement of all of them. Las Olas, Harbor Beach, Victoria Park, Coral Ridge, Poinsettia Heights and Bayview among others are as nice or nicer than those on your "good list".

3. Lauderhill, agreed.

4. Davie is not a bad area, and seamlessly abuts Cooper City which is one of the top three or so school districts in South Florida.

5. Hallandale might be considered bad in the 50% of town west of US1 but the other half (particularly close to the beach) is fairly nice.

6. Generally anything south of Coral Springs is bad in your opinion? Another ridiculous comment. Weston, Plantation and Cooper City stick out as the first inaccuracies..

Old 12-11-2011, 06:28 AM

56 posts, read 130,936 times
I would never live in any of the areas I mentioned as bad, but that's just my opinion. I have never once felt safe when I lived in Oakland Park & I lived in more than one area there. I wouldn't feel safe in most of Fort Lauderdale (other than the rich areas, but I still don't like it there) I've never been east of US1 so I can't say anything on that, but west of US1 is not somewhere I would want to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area