Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 08:33 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times

Advertisements

I have a work trip coming up next week and will be staying in Sunrise. Scheduled an extra couple days so that I can make a mini vacation of it. Problem is my extra / vacation days are a Sat. and Sun. so I guess beaches, waterfront restaurants, and roads will be quite busy. I'm coming from the Buffalo area so getting out in the warmer weather is what I'm mainly looking for. I love swimming, laying in the sun, and eating by the water (especially seafood).

Please advise me on the following:

1) Should I just stick with the hotel in Sunrise (it has a nice, big outdoor pool) or should I move to a different hotel in Ft. Lauderdale once the work part of my trip is over and the vacation part starts? I'm asking what would you do if you were me.

2) Will the beaches (and the parking for the beaches) be insanely crowded weekend of the 15th / 16th? Is it all tourists at the beaches this time of year or would there be local residents there as well?

3) Is there a restaurant on the water in the Ft. Lauderdale area that you can recommend? I want fish / seafood and a fairly casual atmosphere. I also want dessert

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I have a work trip coming up next week and will be staying in Sunrise. Scheduled an extra couple days so that I can make a mini vacation of it. Problem is my extra / vacation days are a Sat. and Sun. so I guess beaches, waterfront restaurants, and roads will be quite busy. I'm coming from the Buffalo area so getting out in the warmer weather is what I'm mainly looking for. I love swimming, laying in the sun, and eating by the water (especially seafood).

Please advise me on the following:

1) Should I just stick with the hotel in Sunrise (it has a nice, big outdoor pool) or should I move to a different hotel in Ft. Lauderdale once the work part of my trip is over and the vacation part starts? I'm asking what would you do if you were me.

2) Will the beaches (and the parking for the beaches) be insanely crowded weekend of the 15th / 16th? Is it all tourists at the beaches this time of year or would there be local residents there as well?

3) Is there a restaurant on the water in the Ft. Lauderdale area that you can recommend? I want fish / seafood and a fairly casual atmosphere. I also want dessert

Thanks!
Restaurant on the water... My current favorite is Sea Watch, it is in Lauderdale by the Sea.
Sea Watch on the ocean

Also Blue Moon is always very very nice.
Fort Lauderdale Waterfront Seafood Restaurant Blue Moon Fish Co.

Plus these two - 15th Street Fisheries and Bimini Boatyard
15th Street Fisheries & Dockside Caf- Fort Lauderdale, Florida Waterfront Seafood Restaurant
Bimini Boatyard

Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times
Sea Watch's menu looks divine! Thanks for the recommendations. But when they say "Dolphin" on the menu do they mean dolphin dolphin? Or is that the name of a fish? I hope..

Old 12-06-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Sea Watch's menu looks divine! Thanks for the recommendations. But when they say "Dolphin" on the menu do they mean dolphin dolphin? Or is that the name of a fish? I hope..
Not a flipper

Dolphin fish is also known as Mahi-Mahi also known as dorado.

It is a very nice tasty fish.

Ugly looking though

Old 12-06-2012, 03:47 PM

BTW I don't think the roads will be busy.

But parking in popular areas will be tight.

Beach crowd... depends on the beach and weather. But shouldn't be too crazy. It's not like we have spring break upon us.

If you want to stay at a nice resort on the beach in Fort Lauderdale, Lago Mar is really nice
Official website of Lago Mar Resort and Club in Ft Lauderdale Florida, a 4 Diamond Beachfront Resort Hotel"

Old 12-06-2012, 06:33 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
I concur with the restaurant suggestions for seafood. I would recommend moving to a hotel on the beach if money is not an issue. Its worth it. You won't want to waste your vacation at a pool when you can go to the beach. From a beach hotel, you can simply walk out onto the beach and avoid parking and traffic. As far as the roads, traffic is not a problem on the weekends except for areas near the beach. This is because everyone and their uncle goes to the beaches on Saturdays and Sundays. This includes both tourists and residents. Even though December is peak tourist season, the weather is not as warm as the summer so there are probably less people actually on the beach laying out compared to hotter months. You can beat the beach traffic and get quick parking if you arrive early, lets say before 10:00 A.M.

I would recommend going to Fort Lauderdale Beach where Las Olas Blvd meets with A1A and from 1-2 blocks north of there. That is an interesting area. Lots of restaurants and bars right on the beach, and lots of great people watching.

How old are you? Do you enjoy nightlife? If so, the downtown area known as Las Olas is vibrant on Friday and Saturday nights.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 AM

26 posts, read 63,760 times
The beach shouldn't be too crowded, in fact, I was at the Las Olas/A1A area this past weekend and there was plenty of parking in the middle of the day--definitely not the norm in the summer months! You should certainly try and make a trip to the beach, the weather right now is still pretty warm and it is enjoyable to relax and enjoy being on the coast.

Sounds like your hotel is closer to Sawgrass area, right? There is very good Spanish food out there, and also an Argentinian steak house where you can take a big appetite--you pay a flat price per person and you each get a bottle of wine it's called the Knife.

Enjoy your visit!
Jenn

Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
Yeah there are more people here in the winter than summer, but the beaches are way more crowded in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area