Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times

Advertisements

South Florida is no more like Cuba than Southern California is like Mexico, in fact it is even less so. With that being said, go with Irvine. Irvine itself may be a little bit sterile, but at the end of the day, you are still in Southern California and one of the best sections at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 PM

38 posts, read 67,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Any time Fort Lauderdale (or any other part of South FL) is compared to any other city, the other city always wins. It is as if South FL is the worst place on the planet.
It's one of the worst places on the planet!

Once my job is done, I am gone!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 PM

38 posts, read 67,827 times
I know Irvine and I currently live in Golden Beach!

Irvine is a far more superior area!

No brainer!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:22 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
In my opinion, Fort Lauderdale is better. I love the subtropical climate and beautiful Caribbean beaches there. BUT, it's not for everyone. Some hate the humidity and heat, and flatness (even flat ocean-no waves!). Irvine has nice weather too, but is very dry and not as warm in general as South Florida. The beaches in SoCal are also have cooler, darker water than in South Florida, but if you're a surfer, you'll find that the beaches in California are better for surfing because they have waves. The topography in SoCal is great-the scenery along the coast, with palm trees, coastal marshes and hillside neighborhoods is pretty. South Florida has more of a tropical feel, more kinds of palm trees grow there because it is warmer and wetter. The lushness and marshes of South FL are very pretty in my opinion, as you get tired of the dry brown grass in SoCal. Still, the coastline of South FL is covered in highrises, not very appealing. It all depends on what you like. Also, I've heard that Irvine is very expensive and extremely dull. I'd visit both places. I find OC to be rather conservative and lacking in diversity. Fort Lauderdale was the opposite for me.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:41 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
Irvine hands down but you dont live in Irvine, u work there. You live down the road in newport beach, costa mesa, huntington beach or laguna. All the aforementioned spots make most of lauderdale and greater broward seem like a 3rd world cesspool.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:53 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
I agree with the above if not to the extreme of the last three words. For one thing, both regions have large foreign born populations so I probably wouldn't suggest either if looking to avoid that. Orange County overall is a little cleaner and more dynamic of a place to live than the Ft. Lauderdale area, but also more congested and expensive. 2 grand will get you a decent studio apartment in Irvine, a decent 1 bedroom in Costa Mesa (just OK area), and probably not much at all in Newport Beach or Huntington Beach. The same money here will get you a decent sized house in a bland but very high quality area similar to Irvine (like Weston or Parkland), or it will get you a luxury studio/1 bedroom on the ocean.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:57 PM

93 posts, read 175,898 times
Ft Lauderdale short term, return to NJ, then head out to California, best of all worlds

Old 02-19-2013, 05:58 PM

93 posts, read 175,898 times
oops i mean ny

Old 02-24-2013, 01:25 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Just spent a week in South OC. I would consider moving there. At first glance (with one eye closed and blind in the other) it may seem similar to West Broward/Miami/FLL - but no. No comparison - Irvine all the way.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:59 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
or more like an actual combination of cuba and haiti with refugees from the rest of the caribbean and runaway shady transients from the rest of the world.
This is so unbelievably dead-on.

Props, brotha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area