Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:13 PM

38 posts, read 67,875 times

Advertisements

Kmarc, where are you now?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
oddly if you request a white area and u r AA then that is diversity. if you are archie bunker and request a white area you are KKK.
its not what u do, its who u r.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,192,954 times
"Kmarc, where are you now?"

Mr. Loco, I'm in the Tampa Bay area now. A great place to live when you've "aged out" of South Florida.

But, I like to keep up with the Ft. Lauderdale area forum in case someone revives the "Ft. Lauderdale in the '80s" thread. My favorite thread in the forum!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:21 PM

73 posts, read 265,104 times
I am so tired of people calling racism if you are white and would prefer living in a predominantly white neighborhood. I feel the same way. I am not racist but I prefer being in a neighborhood that is more white. You wouldn't call a black person racist if he or she wanted to live in a more "black" neighborhood.

That being said, I live in Coral Springs and there are good and not so good areas. Look for an area that doesn't have alot of apartments. West of University Drive is nice.

Do your research. I looked to this site alot when we were moving (Long Island my entire life). If you can physically look before moving, I highly recommend it. Also....work with a realtor and DO NOT use Craigs List. If you can look around, go to the neighborhood schools around recess. See the kids. Also, go to the local supermarket.

Good luck in your search.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:02 AM

40 posts, read 82,821 times
I wish to extend my deepest Thank's to all those who were able to understand my position, and can comprehend that I am not a racist for wanting to live in a neighborhood that I desire, which safety is a primary concern. Working a rotating shift, usually 4PM-4AM as a Nurse in a Hospital, and many other odd times, makes an individual concerned about the area they move to, so as to arrive home safely. Anyway, once again thank you to all those that care, and understand the plight of a dedicated working woman. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am currently looking in Coral Springs, and if any of you can recommend specific locations, that would be great

Old 02-19-2013, 02:24 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,477,894 times
regal1- If you want to live near the beach, just live ON the beach. It sounds like you'll want to lay out on your days off from being a nurse. The beach areas are mostly very safe. The only downside is the drawbridges go up every 30 minutes and delay traffic, and you are further from 95. The bridges are on a timer, so you can figure out which times to leave home. Traffic will be a non-factor in your case.

You will find the beach areas highly transient, but predominantly white. Lots of Hispanics and a decent number of blacks, but for the most part you get a middle-upper class crowd on the beaches in Fort Lauderdale. Also don't rule out Pompano Beach on the beach. Rents are cheaper there than Fort Lauderdale.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 PM

3,249 posts, read 3,204,745 times
I have several clients who live in Coral Springs and love it. I saw earlier you were looking for an apt. or townhouse?

A couple of ideas -- You might want to look at Coral Palm Village -- it is a gated community (electronic gate) of villas and townhouses. I think they are going for about $200k or so, maybe a little less depending on # of bedrooms/baths. It is located between University and Coral Springs Drive on Royal Palm. It is a nice development, IMHO.

Another nice area of Coral Springs is the Wyndham Lakes section -- there are 16 different (electronic) gated developments with townhouses, villas and single-family homes. It is right off of Sawgrass Expressway -- take Coral Ridge Drive off of the Sawgrass and then take Wyndham Lakes Blvd. and drive around -- beautiful landscaping -- the homes are very well done, barrel tile roofs, tasteful architecture -- I have been inside a couple of these developments and is it just super -- very peaceful, very well cared for.

Being a nurse, you might have a chance to also work near your home, if you settle on Coral Springs. Broward Health -- Coral Springs Medical Center is one of the largest employers in the city. One of the best employers in South Florida, Baptist Hospital, also just recently opened up an urgent care facility, Baptist Medical Plaza, in Coral Springs. And of course, with two major health care employers in the city, there are lots of doctors' offices and this might be another employment opportunity.

Good luck in your search and hope this info is of some help.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,918,609 times
To make this simple: just stay east of US1 or west of University Drive. I'm not saying that everything between there is a no-go zone, in fact the opposite is true. You will find more consistency if you use those boundaries, however. One more thing to consider: there aren't that many neighborhoods, nice or not, with a very solid "white" majority, although the closest you will find to this is Coconut Creek, Plantation, Davie, east Fort Lauderdale and Cooper City.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 AM

35 posts, read 64,077 times
I would Avoid S Florida. The best area in Broward would be Weston, Cooper City, Parkland and Coconut Creek. There are some good pockets, but few and are in very close proximity to where you don't want to be. Also in Palm Bch County there is Wellington, Palm Bch Gardens and Jupiter. Consider other areas/counties in Florida that are less populated with much better crime rates. Reality is (not PC) that predominitely White is safer and better in comparing equal economics /household income of the community.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 AM

73 posts, read 265,104 times
Hey Regal,
Electronic gated apartments mean nothing. I lived in a "gated" apartment called Visconti. Terrible. Make sure you GO to these locations. Alot of these "complexes" are inundated with section 8. Go to the management office and demand to know the percentage of section 8 housing. Even if it's 1%, run away!!!!!We moved from Long Island and had no knowledge of this. If you are looking into CS, the closer you get to Parkland, the better. Stay away from the complexes closer to Margate. Like I wrote earlier, WORK WITH A REALTOR and a reputable one. Stay away from Craigslist ads. Very rarely will you find a nice place from Craigslist. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area