Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 09:50 PM

30 posts, read 93,582 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just relocated to South Florida, and in the six months that we've lived here, all I keep hearing/reading is how S Florida is a horrible place to raise children. Almost every person that I have met seems to want to leave the state if/when they can. We originally moved here to be close to my family (they live in Boca and FLL), but did we make the wrong decision based on the best interest of our children? I really just want a nice wholesome and safe city for my kids to live and grow. We are planning to move to Parkland, but will keeping my kids in that small bubble be enough??? This is really starting to get to me... Honest opinions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 10:38 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
Weston

Old 12-11-2013, 10:34 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Plenty of people raise kids here. Why are you so freaked?

Old 12-11-2013, 08:47 PM

I'm freaked because I have the same thoughts and fears that a lot of people express on this forum. Also it's even more discouraging when I meet new friends and they basically confirm my fears of raising my kids here. I keep wanting and hoping to hear differently... That people love it in S Florida and that it's a great place for a young growing family, but I never get that validation. It's just very disheartening after being here for 6+ months I was hoping to hear something new by posting my own thread.

Ultimately, I will give it time to see how I feel about the area, but I'm a research kind of girl. I always like to know what I'm getting myself into, especially when it comes to my children's future.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:09 AM

50 posts, read 85,884 times
My wife and I just started our family (one toddler so far) and moved down here because I had a great job opportunity. Been here a year or so now and we both have agreed I should start looking for a job outside of this area after another year or two because we have been disappointed with the area.

Sure, there are things to do, wonderful culinary selections, and the mix of cultural heritages can be great at times, but the general dysfunction of this area is just overwhelming. Terrible urban and transportation planning, generally awful schools, high cost of living, highly corrupt political culture (an elected official is arrested every week it feels like!), and a thick miasma of social discord that permeates at all times (people hiding behind walls and living in bubbles, lack of any sense of greater community, general rudeness and impolite behaviors).

I cannot imagine bringing up my children in area. I do not want the dystopian hellscape of Broward County to be the baseline for "normal" with my children.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:15 AM

BrowardNole... Where are you originally from? Where are you living in Broward specifically? Where are you looking to possibly relocate?

Old 12-12-2013, 12:33 PM

679 posts, read 878,486 times
I have to second Browardnole's opinion. My stepson grew up in Parkland and drugs were a huge problem. The materialism was
the other issue I couldn't abide. And so many enabling parents! Several of his friends are being supported by or living with a parent. And not working. Just stay very involved in your kids' lives and pay attention.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:44 PM

50 posts, read 85,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjoo View Post
BrowardNole... Where are you originally from? Where are you living in Broward specifically? Where are you looking to possibly relocate?
I am in Cooper City.

I am originally from northern Californi, but grew up in the Midwest and Canada. Moved to Broward from Tallahasse after completing my graduate degrees.

Wife and I are looking around North Port, Port Charlotte areas on the Gulf.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:27 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowardNole View Post
My wife and I just started our family (one toddler so far) and moved down here because I had a great job opportunity. Been here a year or so now and we both have agreed I should start looking for a job outside of this area after another year or two because we have been disappointed with the area.

Sure, there are things to do, wonderful culinary selections, and the mix of cultural heritages can be great at times, but the general dysfunction of this area is just overwhelming. Terrible urban and transportation planning, generally awful schools, high cost of living, highly corrupt political culture (an elected official is arrested every week it feels like!), and a thick miasma of social discord that permeates at all times (people hiding behind walls and living in bubbles, lack of any sense of greater community, general rudeness and impolite behaviors).

I cannot imagine bringing up my children in area. I do not want the dystopian hellscape of Broward County to be the baseline for "normal" with my children.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that. I'm from S FL originally, but don't live there now. I'm sorry you and the OP feel this way.

Like the OP mentioned, I meet a lot of ppl that mention moving out of Orlando/Florida/etc. Now that I live in a very desirable, high income (compared to other cities of FL), conservative/red county, with people with morals and American values, I've met only a few who want to move away. I think it's all in what area you're in, not what state.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:36 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowardNole View Post
I am in Cooper City.

I am originally from northern Californi, but grew up in the Midwest and Canada. Moved to Broward from Tallahasse after completing my graduate degrees.

Wife and I are looking around North Port, Port Charlotte areas on the Gulf.
Cooper City? That place is like 90% nice, but isn't the hellhole you describe it as. And North Port is a boring suburb, nothing to do, and Port Charlotte is like what you describe Cooper City as.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area