Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,048 times

Advertisements

Hello to all
I need advice and help us make a life changing decision.
We are in our 30's with 2 kids (6 and 9 years old) looking to move to South Florida but don't know where yet. We are looking for good Jewish neighborhood and with good public schools where we could raise our family and be active in a community. We are also looking to buy something with in between $200K and $350K. I am open to any suggestions
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 11:12 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
There is no such thing as a "Jewish neighborhood" here. You have to live in Miami Beach for that. There are some areas that have heavier concentrations of Jewish residents such as Boca Raton, parts of Hollywood (west of I-95 between Sheridan St and Sterling Road), Sunrise Lakes (elderly mainly), and Aventura. But there are no exclusively Jewish neighborhoods here in Broward County like what you find in Brooklyn or Queens.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:22 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,712,467 times
I wouldn't describe Miami Beach as a Jewish neighborhood anymore, either. A tad too cosmopolitan. I would recommend the area of Hollywood that Nolefan suggested, but the schools are not good past elementary. Boca might be the way to go here.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:46 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
There is no such thing as a "Jewish neighborhood" here. You have to live in Miami Beach for that. There are some areas that have heavier concentrations of Jewish residents such as Boca Raton, parts of Hollywood (west of I-95 between Sheridan St and Sterling Road), Sunrise Lakes (elderly mainly), and Aventura. But there are no exclusively Jewish neighborhoods here in Broward County like what you find in Brooklyn or Queens.

Weston and Parkland have heavy concentrations of Jewish residents .. as do Boca Raton and Palm Beach Gardens .

Old 02-12-2011, 11:06 PM

438 posts, read 653,859 times
I agree with the other posters. South Florida's neighborhoods are a lot more mixed than the NY buroughs, and Jewish people here aren't clustered together only in certain areas. Where I live in the western part of Plantation there are many Jewish people here, and there is a big temple on West Broward Boulevard at Hiatus. I think that Plantation (west of University Drive) would be a good place to move your family to. You can get a nice single family house in this area for less than $300,000.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:30 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raya123 View Post
Hello to all
I need advice and help us make a life changing decision.
We are in our 30's with 2 kids (6 and 9 years old) looking to move to South Florida but don't know where yet. We are looking for good Jewish neighborhood and with good public schools where we could raise our family and be active in a community. We are also looking to buy something with in between $200K and $350K. I am open to any suggestions
Thanks
You can't go wrong in Parkland, certain areas of Coral Springs, Plantation, West Sunrise, West Boca...What area are you looking for?

My husband and I are from Rockland County. We moved down to S. Florida in 1997. We bought a house and have been living in West Sunrise since 2002. We live a few miles away from the Sawgrass Mills Mall.

West Sunrise has been nominated one of the best places to raise a family several times. The elementary schools are great, middle schools very good (my son goes to Westpine) and the high schools are ok.

There are plenty of things to do here. Lots of parks, restaurants, recreational activities, things for the kids to do, close to major roads (Sawgrass Express leads either towards 595 or Fl Turnpike/95). We are very happy here.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:43 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
There is nowhere here that is exclusively an ethnic Jewish neighborhood like what you see in NYC. Boca, Weston, Parkland, Sunrise Lakes, Hollywood, Aventura, and certain sections of Miami Beach have heavy concentrations of Jewish people. But they are mixed in with all other groups. Pretty much all of South FL has substantial Jewish populations, but those areas I mentioned have the highest concentrations.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:54 AM

789 posts, read 2,564,368 times
look for threads posted by ' Shoegal1075', who recently moved back to NYC after giving SFL a try. The threads should provide some of the info' you're looking for.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:01 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
We are born and raised in NYC Brooklyn and we love it here....We are Jewish and Live in Boca and love it...Most of our friends are Jewish and so are the kids but its a nice mixture...

Old 02-15-2011, 02:46 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
shoegal moved back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area