Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:39 PM

12 posts, read 39,247 times

Advertisements

anyone can give some suggestions
we live in long island and it is beyond afforadable, you are either rich or poor at this point, housing, taxes, camp etc. We have an 8 yr old and 6 yr old. We are looking for a jewish community non religious but somewhere more middle to upper class rather than rich. We want to feel comfortable and fit in with all types of people not at all just jewish population. From what i have heard and or friends moved down to like Boca, Delray etc they have allot of money and can buy and do whatever...i dont want to go from one richy t place to another...it is no offense to anyone who lives in those areas its just not meant for me.
Thanks so much, any advice or help would really be nice for us. Just something with alittle more down to earth. Also any suggestions on the west coast? My aunt lives in sarasota which is beautiful but i dont know anything about family living there, she is in a 55 and over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Try Plantation. There are a decent number of Jews in Plantation and the neighborhoods range from middle class to wealthy.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:53 PM

thanks so much, i just want to feel comfortable......so nice of you to reply

Old 05-20-2014, 03:28 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,624 times
We too are from LI we lived in Weston from 99-06. We are back on LI for now but are slowly planning to move back down there, just not sure exactly what part yet. You fit the exact description of what we like as well.

The area of Plantation you might like best is Central Park area. Very LI feel there. No kids here, but if public schools are a top concern for you with kids that age Weston would be great fit. We are looking a bit further north in Wellington but really can't give my opinion on that area. Perhaps try West Palm Beach forum for that area. When we move back it will either be area I mentioned I Plantation, Weston,Western most portion of Sunrise or more north in Wellington. Taxes will be lower than you are used to on LI for sure,but it is no longer considered that much cheaper overall than LI. You will mostly get a house with much smaller lot than you get on LI. They are called 0 lots pretty much for a reason.

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2014, 07:04 AM

191 posts, read 317,590 times
I think the most concentrated Jewish neighborhood I have come across down here (well - aside from Sunny Isles I guess...) is Embassy Lakes in Cooper City. Probably because of the proximity to the Posnak JCC and school.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:25 AM

so nice of people to be helpful to us. I am not looking for land or big home etc, i am looking for more affordable living, i am renting in melville right now for $3200 per month for a 3 bedroom apartment complex (insane)!! I am lookingt for quality of life. Jobs are the biggest obstacle and the reason we cant do it right now but its been so stressful in long island and the weather, taxes, commute etc sucks....
any other suggestions or comments, keep it coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know west coast?

Old 05-21-2014, 11:34 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,624 times
For that $3200 you can rent a whole house down there. $3200 is high, but that is LI for you. We are fairly lucky where we rent here as we want to stay on the water while living here. As for affordable that depends on area in Fl. you are looking for it varies widely. If you have specific questions is best to post on that forum. There are many forums here for west coast areas you will get answers there. Try them & more people can help you.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:04 PM

299 posts, read 377,666 times
Anywhere in Broward or Palm Beach county.. Its like New York south.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:12 PM

but i dont want only upper class b/c we are not that, are those areas broward and palm beach county areas that have lots of kids in school age and or temples?
Also do people live in town homes or apartments with kids, we like that living better

THANKS so much for your help, it means allot

Old 05-21-2014, 03:48 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,467,870 times
taffy290-

No area around here is exclusively upper class. Even Boca has rich, poor, and middle class. All of the areas mentioned have all types of housing, not just one thing. Jewish people are scattered all over Broward and Palm Beach County. There are few neighborhoods that are exclusively Jewish like you see in NY. The only ones I know of are in Hollywood, Aventura, and parts of Miami beach where you see very religious ones. Otherwise, the Jewish people are assimilated in with other groups. The area with the highest concentration will be Boca Raton.

If I were you, I'd focus in on Boca, Coral Springs, Parkland, Cooper City, and maybe Plantation. Plantation's schools aren't great from what I've heard, but those other areas are well regarded for schools. There are temples in all of those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area