Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 05:26 AM

16 posts, read 20,433 times

Advertisements

Hubby has job offer in ft. Lauderdale, need to find a safe neighborhood for 4 boys where hubby doesn't have to long of a commute. We are coming from Pa. What to expect? We are looking for a house rental first for awhile then will be looking for homes $100,000 to 250,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 07:12 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,879,206 times
Weston. But the prices in all good areas in South Florida are higher than what you are expecting.

Kid-friendly vibe draws house-hunters to Weston | MiamiHerald.com

Old 05-28-2014, 12:48 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,514,010 times
You may have trouble finding affordable housing. Housing costs are much higher here than most of PA, except maybe Philly. There are also many sketchy areas to avoid. Generally speaking, you will want to look in one of the western suburbs of Fort Lauderdale. Weston, Pembroke Pines, Cooper City, Coral Springs, Parkland, Davie, and Sunrise are good areas for the most part that are family friendly areas. Plantation and Coconut Creek are also nice, but the schools aren't as good as the other areas mentioned. You could also look further north in Palm Beach County which generally has cheaper housing once you get north of Boca Raton. Boca Raton itself is a very nice area, but a bit pricey. Delray Beach and parts of Boynton Beach may be worth checking out.

I would avoid looking in the eastern half of Broward County near the beach mainly because everything is more congested and the schools aren't as great. The eastern areas are less family friendly, more expensive, and more for younger singles and older snowbirds.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:12 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,228,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Weston. But the prices in all good areas in South Florida are higher than what you are expecting.

Kid-friendly vibe draws house-hunters to Weston | MiamiHerald.com
Wow Ruski! What is going on now with the building on Bonaventure West Golf course? Did they break ground & actually start building there yet? Recall they tried to develop that area for years. We along with others fought it, guess they finally won. Was only a matter of time before they found way to get it approved. We had a place on that course but sold in 06. My first day there Tiger Woods was actually playing golf & I was approached by them requesting to use our bathroom! They were very nice.

Sad to see them develop it & wonder what will happen there in the future. Guess the resort only can promote the east course now. Hubby worked there for several years at resort & spa, they changed hands several times during those years. Still seems like strange out of place spot to build the luxury homes that the developers say they plan on building there. Will be surrounded by much lower priced condos for the most part.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:14 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,879,206 times
Haven't seen any ground breaking yet, but I haven't driven in that direction recently.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:24 AM

2,975 posts, read 13,407,920 times
loribell yes they are building zero lot line homes. When Bonaventure was built - I know this is off topic - homeowners paid a premium for their lots to have a golf course view. As I understand, those homeowners received some sort of compensation for having their views altered.

To the OP. You might look in Coral Springs or Miramar where you may find more affordable housing. Ideally, Weston, Parkland, sections of Plantation, Cooper City, or Sunrise may offer housing in your budget. Renting is the smartest thing you can do. Then to compound the situation, there is little inventory in your price range - not impossible but you will have your work cut out for you. Best of luck!

Old 05-31-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
loribell yes they are building zero lot line homes. When Bonaventure was built - I know this is off topic - homeowners paid a premium for their lots to have a golf course view. As I understand, those homeowners received some sort of compensation for having their views altered.

To the OP. You might look in Coral Springs or Miramar where you may find more affordable housing. Ideally, Weston, Parkland, sections of Plantation, Cooper City, or Sunrise may offer housing in your budget. Renting is the smartest thing you can do. Then to compound the situation, there is little inventory in your price range - not impossible but you will have your work cut out for you. Best of luck!
Thanks for that info & update appreciate it. Wonder what the compensation is? Any realtor on here must know the answer for that. Just one of those "curious" thoughts. Glad they are at least getting something. Wonder if this development will hurt people in terms of value to homes. Was such a great quiet place to live. No rear-view neighbors.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:21 PM

2,975 posts, read 13,407,920 times
I believe it may have been around 4k which doesn't sound like much until one considers the pricing when Bonaventure was built. I agree, realtors should be privy to what the payout was. As you may know, there are a number of unhappy residents. Also, FYI some of that land, not for certain which area, was considered uninhabitable due to the toxic condition of the soil. Of course, money speaks and the rest is history. :-)

Old 05-31-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I believe it may have been around 4k which doesn't sound like much until one considers the pricing when Bonaventure was built. I agree, realtors should be privy to what the payout was. As you may know, there are a number of unhappy residents. Also, FYI some of that land, not for certain which area, was considered uninhabitable due to the toxic condition of the soil. Of course, money speaks and the rest is history. :-)
Whoa! That is nothing & an insult if they accepted that little! So true money talks! In any language so to speak. There are probably many unhappy & very bitter residents....we sure would be if we still owned and lived there. Those beautiful serene golf course views were the reason we picked to buy the places we did. Glad we are out before this happened. Even the ones that purchased our places said main reason was location & view as many as you know are not the same view. Many had no view but street & another town home. I do know that the community we were in has changed. Investors came in a sweep up many last year. Now instead of being mostly owners it is now more like a townhouse rental community. Sad!!!! Looking online I see only a few for sale ones there & many for rent..does not take rocket scientist to figure out the the canvas there now. Hopefully they still upkeep my old sub-division as well as they always did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area