Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 06:45 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
You are right. There is NO WAY it's 45 minutes. We have a boat downtown at Riverfront Marina. It's nearly exactly 30 minutes to make it out of the cut in to the ocean. Plantation Isles is multitudes further inland and the route takes you past my marina. I'd say probably about 2 hours seems accurate based on how much further it is.

I would NEVER buy property with ocean access in Plantation. It's not worth the extra cost. It's far faster to trailer a boat and launch at John Lloyd than to put-put for 2 hours from Plantation. Get a house where you can keep a boat on your property and just launch it. Easier to maintain the boat, faster to get out on the water, etc. etc. Trailer is the way to go in this case.

Could you imagine spending FOUR HOURS just getting to the ocean and back? I'd get to the ocean and feel it's time to turn around... Stupid.
This is spot on if you have a boat you could trailer. If you are dragging an old sea ray up the ditch for cheap dockage then maybe it would be worth it.

I think they renamed that park something else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 09:05 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
This is spot on if you have a boat you could trailer. If you are dragging an old sea ray up the ditch for cheap dockage then maybe it would be worth it.

They did rename the park. But nobody uses the new name, ever. There was no reason to rename it. It'll always be John Lloyd to the locals.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:46 PM

9 posts, read 8,487 times
Quote:
Did you read the part about bridges?
Yes. So what are you saying? If you don't catch any bridges or traffic, you think it can be 45 min. Just amazed that some people are literally saying it takes literally twice as long as other people and dying to know if less than an hour is possible. Maybe my estimate of 5 mph the entire way is off if there are sections where you can pick up some speed without disturbing anyones docked boats or seawalls?

Last edited by Cobaltss20; 08-06-2019 at 04:57 PM..

Old 08-06-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Appreciate the feedback. The idea of just being able to hop in the boat in the back yard without having to trailer and drive while the kids attend tropical elementary since it is actually a good public school. Not if it takes 3 to 4 hours round trip though.. Only other decent waterfront homes I can find for less than 700k with a good elementary school is coral ridge isles in pompano. An hour is reasonable since your relaxing and I dont plan on outting all these idle hours on an expensive boat. Probably buy something with a 115 outboard that isn't the absolute worst on fuel... I know.. I shouldnt be worrying about fuel if I have a boat.. just saying haha. The time it actually takes is what I would love to know. If someone came on here and said they have made the trip a bunch of times in less than an hour then I would definitely be tempted. 1.5 to 2 hours though is not worth it.. will never end up using the boat if that is the case.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltss20 View Post
Yes. So what are you saying? If you don't catch any bridges or traffic, you think it can be 45 min. Just amazed that some people are literally saying it takes literally twice as long as other people and dying to know if less than an hour is possible. Maybe my estimate of 5 mph the entire way is off if there are sections where you can pick up some speed without disturbing anyones docked boats or seawalls?
It's never 45 minutes, period. As I mentioned in another post, I have a boat at Riverfront Marina. It's a solid 30 minutes at posted speeds to the ocean from there. Consistently. Almost spot on 30 minutes. Riverfront Marina is ON the path from Plantation Isles. Plantation Isles is 3 - 4X further up the river. There is no way it's 45 minutes or even under an hour. Not even close. It has to be 90 - 120 minutes, unless the boat is really an airplane and can fly...

As for the schools. Plantation has garbage schools after elementary. Are you selling and moving by middle school? Your kids will lose all of their friends. Or are you planning on paying $25k/yr each to go to private school? All so you can be on the water, 2 hours from the ocean?

A trailer is nowhere near as bad as you may think. I have friends that trailer their boats damn near twice a week! Once you get used to it, you can launch really quickly. And the ramp is 15 minutes from the ocean. Keep in mind that Ft Lauderdale also has the worst part of the intracoastal in the tri county area. So lets say you do put put for 2 hours to the ocean. Then you have a 30 - 45 minute ride (if good conditions) down to Miami so you can actually go to the nice sandbar or spoil islands with clear water. Or, if you have your boat on a trailer, you just drive your boat and launch in Miami if that's where you want to be that day. Or in Palm Beach to go to Peanut Island for the day, etc.

I personally have no interest in waterfront in Ft Lauderdale, it's not worth the price. Buy a house in Davie or Cooper City in a non-HOA where you can keep your boat on a trailer. It's only a 25+ minute drive to the boat ramp, 15 to launch. So you are already near the cut while Plantation boaters are 1+ hour away... but hey, they live on the water... Lol.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
It's never 45 minutes, period. As I mentioned in another post, I have a boat at Riverfront Marina. It's a solid 30 minutes at posted speeds to the ocean from there. Consistently. Almost spot on 30 minutes. Riverfront Marina is ON the path from Plantation Isles. Plantation Isles is 3 - 4X further up the river. There is no way it's 45 minutes or even under an hour. Not even close. It has to be 90 - 120 minutes, unless the boat is really an airplane and can fly...

As for the schools. Plantation has garbage schools after elementary. Are you selling and moving by middle school? Your kids will lose all of their friends. Or are you planning on paying $25k/yr each to go to private school? All so you can be on the water, 2 hours from the ocean?

A trailer is nowhere near as bad as you may think. I have friends that trailer their boats damn near twice a week! Once you get used to it, you can launch really quickly. And the ramp is 15 minutes from the ocean. Keep in mind that Ft Lauderdale also has the worst part of the intracoastal in the tri county area. So lets say you do put put for 2 hours to the ocean. Then you have a 30 - 45 minute ride (if good conditions) down to Miami so you can actually go to the nice sandbar or spoil islands with clear water. Or, if you have your boat on a trailer, you just drive your boat and launch in Miami if that's where you want to be that day. Or in Palm Beach to go to Peanut Island for the day, etc.

I personally have no interest in waterfront in Ft Lauderdale, it's not worth the price. Buy a house in Davie or Cooper City in a non-HOA where you can keep your boat on a trailer. It's only a 25+ minute drive to the boat ramp, 15 to launch. So you are already near the cut while Plantation boaters are 1+ hour away... but hey, they live on the water... Lol.
Again. Really appreciate the feedback and time you put in. Must be realtors pushing this 45 minute dream.. maybe I'll consider the trailer life. Coral ridge isles is the other option with a great elementary school and then yeah I would have to yank kids from their friends and send to private school or move west which is 10+ years away. Coral ridge isles cant be more than 35 min to intracoastal which then you can zip to hillsborough inlet in no time I'm sure. Don't understand why all of the public schools up the entire south east Florida coast are trash. Pompano high school has a 10 on great schools but Coral ridge isles not zoned for it. Impossible to buy coastal property with good elem, middle and high school. Maybe private school will have to be an option if I dont want to move west. I started checking out tuitions which it looks like st thomas is about 11k a year which isn't bad compared to pinecest which is just insane. Need to find the perfect combo of location, house and school...

Old 08-06-2019, 07:10 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Another poster mentioned the bridges are so low (railroad) that only a kayak would be able to pass. So if you catch a bridge, you just wasted more time.

Why not ask one of the people telling you 45 mins to show you the house via boat and start your stopwatch at the ICW/17th st bridge. Tell them you will buy if they can get you back to the house in 45 mins!

BNBR is 100% correct

Old 08-06-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Another poster mentioned the bridges are so low (railroad) that only a kayak would be able to pass. So if you catch a bridge, you just wasted more time.

Why not ask one of the people telling you 45 mins to show you the house via boat and start your stopwatch at the ICW/17th st bridge. Tell them you will buy if they can get you back to the house in 45 mins!

BNBR is 100% correct
Haha not a bad idea if I was willing to pull the trigger tomorrow. The one poster has parents who live in plantation isles and the other guy said with favorable currents and traffic 50 minutes but only added 5 minutes to go from Lauderdale isles to plantation isles which seems a bit understated . If someone films themselves going from plantation isles to the inlet in less than 60 minutes without noticeably breaking any laws I'll venmo them $200 otherwise I'll take bnbr's word since it doesn't defy algebra.. 10 miles at even 10 mph average is an hour and I dont see where you can pick up enough speed to offset the no wake zones.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Again. Really appreciate the feedback and time you put in. Must be realtors pushing this 45 minute dream.. maybe I'll consider the trailer life. Coral ridge isles is the other option with a great elementary school and then yeah I would have to yank kids from their friends and send to private school or move west which is 10+ years away. Coral ridge isles cant be more than 35 min to intracoastal which then you can zip to hillsborough inlet in no time I'm sure. Don't understand why all of the public schools up the entire south east Florida coast are trash. Pompano high school has a 10 on great schools but Coral ridge isles not zoned for it. Impossible to buy coastal property with good elem, middle and high school. Maybe private school will have to be an option if I dont want to move west. I started checking out tuitions which it looks like st thomas is about 11k a year which isn't bad compared to pinecest which is just insane. Need to find the perfect combo of location, house and school...
Coral Ridge Isles would still be a pretty long ride to the inlet. Probably 70 - 90 minutes or so. Again, what is the point of that? You are going to pay a $300k (probably way more than that) in tuition so you can be further from the ocean than a guy in a $300k house and a trailer?

Why not just live in an area with good schools and a good neighborhood. Great things to do with your family, etc. You want to live east where crossing to the wrong side of the street could have you and your kids in a crack house? It's nowhere near downtown or anything else of note. What is the point of buying in that area? Are you working in that area specifically? If it's for a fast commute, I could understand, but otherwise, I don't get it.

If you are thinking $700k budget, buy a nice house in Davie with an acre of property and right near all of the highways. You could park a dozen boats on the property and still build a basketball court. And still be closer to restaurants, airport, etc. Excellent schools from elementary through high school. Lower insurance. Save a fortune on tuition, and retire early with an extra $1M in the bank or so. But you would have to give up that sweet 90 minute ride to the ocean and the ability to tell your friends "I live on the water"...

Old 08-07-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Haha not a bad idea if I was willing to pull the trigger tomorrow. The one poster has parents who live in plantation isles and the other guy said with favorable currents and traffic 50 minutes but only added 5 minutes to go from Lauderdale isles to plantation isles which seems a bit understated . If someone films themselves going from plantation isles to the inlet in less than 60 minutes without noticeably breaking any laws I'll venmo them $200 otherwise I'll take bnbr's word since it doesn't defy algebra.. 10 miles at even 10 mph average is an hour and I dont see where you can pick up enough speed to offset the no wake zones.
Correct. And it's 7 miles up river from where I keep my boat, which again, is 30 minutes to the ocean. Unless you are flying through the twists and turns of the river like a maniac, you have a good 80+ minutes just to get to Riverfront...

I'm telling you, even looking at a map where Riverfront Marina is... it looks really close. It feels like it takes forever just to get to the intracoastal, lol. From Plantation? I would never, ever go out on the boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area