Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 931 times

Advertisements

We moving from Midwest to Ft Lauderdale area in next 8 months ideally. We currently have an offer on a home but are questioning location. The house is by the high school off 11th in Pompano. I know the area is being revitalized but it's hard to tell safety of that particular block/area. Crime reports seem to all have a hard stop of crime right at Dixie. Love to get some feedback about the area as the house is an amazing value for the price (3500 sq feet, all updated under 625k). It is also so close to the beach.

Our other dilemma is we didn't realize how bad traffic can be. My husband will be looking for work with what seems like between Ft Lauderdale and Miami or otherwise have to look at West Palm beach based on job listings we've seen over last 6 months. I must have access to an airport within 30 min for my job.

Realistically, we want to know if he's in for 1+ hours in traffic each day just to get back to the house in Pompano. We had to do this one day while we were in town for a couple days and it seemed pretty bad. A friend suggested we try to get less updated or a little bit less house and save a ton of commute time by looking near Hollywood, etc. and that more houses should come up between now and Summer. We want to make the best decision we can knowing we have about 10 days left to do so between our deposit becomes non refundable. Any feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 10:43 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoc86 View Post
We moving from Midwest to Ft Lauderdale area in next 8 months ideally. We currently have an offer on a home but are questioning location. The house is by the high school off 11th in Pompano. I know the area is being revitalized but it's hard to tell safety of that particular block/area. Crime reports seem to all have a hard stop of crime right at Dixie. Love to get some feedback about the area as the house is an amazing value for the price (3500 sq feet, all updated under 625k). It is also so close to the beach.

Our other dilemma is we didn't realize how bad traffic can be. My husband will be looking for work with what seems like between Ft Lauderdale and Miami or otherwise have to look at West Palm beach based on job listings we've seen over last 6 months. I must have access to an airport within 30 min for my job.

Realistically, we want to know if he's in for 1+ hours in traffic each day just to get back to the house in Pompano. We had to do this one day while we were in town for a couple days and it seemed pretty bad. A friend suggested we try to get less updated or a little bit less house and save a ton of commute time by looking near Hollywood, etc. and that more houses should come up between now and Summer. We want to make the best decision we can knowing we have about 10 days left to do so between our deposit becomes non refundable. Any feedback is appreciated.
Especially during season and holidays, with the traffic you witnessed yourself, you need to find something closer to the airport.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:14 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
I would have gotten the job first then bought the house.

A bad commute here can destroy your quality of life.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:53 PM

35 posts, read 32,970 times
I live in Pompano / Deerfield and commute to Fort Lauderdale and find traffic to be horrendous! I’m slowly getting used to it. If I’m lucky, I can get to work in 40-45 minutes, the way back home though usually takes over an hour. Last week it took an hour and a half because of an accident. It’s a weekly occurrence.

I HIGHLY recommend renting before you jump to buying. Learn the areas, make sure Florida is for you, etc. Just my two sense. Good Luck ��

Old 02-13-2019, 12:35 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsov View Post
I live in Pompano / Deerfield and commute to Fort Lauderdale and find traffic to be horrendous! I’m slowly getting used to it. If I’m lucky, I can get to work in 40-45 minutes, the way back home though usually takes over an hour. Last week it took an hour and a half because of an accident. It’s a weekly occurrence.

I HIGHLY recommend renting before you jump to buying. Learn the areas, make sure Florida is for you, etc. Just my two sense. Good Luck ��
wow, that's only 15 miles.

Do you stick with I-95 or have you tried alternatives, like Dixie Highway or US1 or Andrews Ave?

Old 02-13-2019, 02:53 PM

35 posts, read 32,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post

Do you stick with I-95 or have you tried alternatives, like Dixie Highway or US1 or Andrews Ave?
I live right off of I95 so it’s the fastest route for me. I just catch the worst luck - lately I’ve been trying to leave the house at 8.30 and it seems to get me there by 9.10 - and if I leave at 8 I won’t get in until 9. Always something!

Old 02-13-2019, 05:14 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsov View Post
I live right off of I95 so it’s the fastest route for me. I just catch the worst luck - lately I’ve been trying to leave the house at 8.30 and it seems to get me there by 9.10 - and if I leave at 8 I won’t get in until 9. Always something!
Doesn't help that they are doing all this construction [of the express lanes].

But hopefully when they are done, it will be much better.

I would try to find a place to live in FTL though, if possible, if I were you.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:16 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post

That's why we give distances around here in minutes not miles.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:43 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoc86 View Post

Pompano is known as "Pompton" in some areas (a play on Compton, CA).

General rule of thumb, if it isn't east of Federal Hwy in Pompano you don't want to live there.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:59 PM

21 posts, read 20,434 times
You seem to question your decision having made an offer on a home and not knowing what you are getting yourself into. If your offer falls through, you may want to reconsider as you have too many unanswered questions. How about renting for a while and getting to know the area a bit better? Aside from considering traffic, jobs, safety, etc. you may also want to take into account the vibe each geographical area brings with it. You may just be happier in the next town over and will only get a feel for it when you're on site. At that point you can then figure out your job situation and how much traffic you are willing to endure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area