Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2019, 06:32 AM

3 posts, read 3,871 times

Advertisements

I'm a single man living in Thailand near the beach for another 8-9 months (I've lived here 12 years) looking for a place to live in the US as I approach Medicare eligibility age March 2020. I had a Lacunar stroke 2 years ago but I can take care of myself and could possible work part time (I ran and printing a graphics business in Dallas and Condo Rental Agency in Bangkok). I like to live near the beach in a warm climate to swim and exercise outside and considering Hollywood or Fort Lauderdale areas of Florida (I only speak English and grew up in a middle class Texas family).

If anybody has suggestions or help for senior housing, I'm living off my Social Security and will need to find a place that might subsidize rent cost for seniors (or I might buy a condo depending on if I get any inheritance soon). I have excellent credit and savings with stock market dividends. Last year I was approved for a $925 a month all bills paid condo in Tulsa, OK, but it was from an independent landlord that took into account my situation (I returned to USA for a 2nd opinion on my stroke) and to visit my elderly parents. I can no longer drive from stress and BP spikes and need to use Lyft or Uber and or public transport.

If anyone has any ideas to assist me in relocating back to the States/Florida I'd really appreciate it. I don't have any family left but my 104 year old father. I want to live within a Walmart Grocery Delivery zone, either in Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood FL or somewhere with a low crime rate (I know very little about Florida, but don't want to live in Miami or a big city again). Thanks, Paul R.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 08:59 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Rent is very high here.

Most places don't have section 8 and any subsidized housing has long waiting lists. A one bedroom apartment will be in the $1200+ range.

You could buy somewhere like Palm-Aire cheaply.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-30570?view=qv

Old 07-22-2019, 10:29 PM

Thanks for your input Bluheron.
It all seems so overwhelming and the culture shock just moving back to America last year for 5 months was horrible, but it was Oklahoma. Here in Thailand I have a nice studio condo with a pool, gym and security for $300 a month, I can walk most places or use Grabtaxi like Uber, the beach is 10 minutes away with 3 malls nearby, I get all my groceries delivered for $5 including tip. I can buy 90% of the meds I need without a prescription and have an excellent neurologist I see once every other month for sleep meds and a check up at $45 a visit (without insurance) I just can't get pre existing condition Thai medical insurance but I may be able to re new with another American company that offers pre existing coverage. Buying a cheap condo in Margate Florida would blow half or 3/4 of my savings and just coming back to utilize medicare may not even be worth it with all the deductibles, copays and the government is reducing benefits and raising prices every year with new Medigap changes coming soon too. The philippines has a government healthcare plan expats can join for $350 a year. Plus now it's very stressful for me to drive and America it is so car dependent. What a nightmare getting old and sick...

Old 07-22-2019, 10:35 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,734,236 times
Low-income Senior housing is a good idea. You need to get on some lists in the areas you desire. The waiting-iists are usually never as long as they tell you. People die, move, change their minds, whatever.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:52 PM

Hello Brave Stranger, thanks for the encouraging words, I'll keep checking for Senior housing ideas for people in my situation. All the best, Paul

Old 07-24-2019, 08:59 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,734,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmon View Post
Hello Brave Stranger, thanks for the encouraging words, I'll keep checking for Senior housing ideas for people in my situation. All the best, Paul
I should mention that you can generally sign up for senior housing on-line with your internet connection without waiting to come back to the states. Pick the towns, cities, or counties in Florida you are interested in & take a look.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:13 PM

18 posts, read 64,908 times
Have you considered a roommate situation? I'm not from the area but exploring the idea of moving there and will hopefully bring a roommate with me!

Old 08-14-2019, 02:52 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,727 times
Aren't there old people in Thailand? What am I missing? They seem to get old and manage just fine on a much smaller income than you have. It seems you have a perfect spot already that would seemingly be where you would want to stay.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:46 PM

39 posts, read 48,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmon View Post
Thanks for your input Bluheron.
It all seems so overwhelming and the culture shock just moving back to America last year for 5 months was horrible, but it was Oklahoma. Here in Thailand I have a nice studio condo with a pool, gym and security for $300 a month, I can walk most places or use Grabtaxi like Uber, the beach is 10 minutes away with 3 malls nearby, I get all my groceries delivered for $5 including tip. I can buy 90% of the meds I need without a prescription and have an excellent neurologist I see once every other month for sleep meds and a check up at $45 a visit (without insurance) I just can't get pre existing condition Thai medical insurance but I may be able to re new with another American company that offers pre existing coverage. Buying a cheap condo in Margate Florida would blow half or 3/4 of my savings and just coming back to utilize medicare may not even be worth it with all the deductibles, copays and the government is reducing benefits and raising prices every year with new Medigap changes coming soon too. The philippines has a government healthcare plan expats can join for $350 a year. Plus now it's very stressful for me to drive and America it is so car dependent. What a nightmare getting old and sick...
You should seriously consider philhealth and a place like Cebu or Negros Oriental.

Message me if you need any local connections, I know quite a few people in PH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area