Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 05:16 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions about the Pompano Beach/Deerfield Beach area. I really do not know the area and haven't been there since around 1999 or 2000, when I visited a family friend in a nice townhome complex on the Pompano/Deerfield border pretty close to the water. I remember the neighborhood as being a pretty generic, suburban area but remember the family friend speaking of crime going on in Pompano but that Deerfield was pretty much all nice. I hear lots of you saying to avoid this area and that it has lots of crime. Has it really gone downhill in the last 8-10 years? I have a friend (who lives in Miami) who has some family in Deerfield Beach near the Boca border and according to him it is a very nice area. Is Pompano/Deerfield really a place to avoid or is this just another City-Data exaggeration?

My second question is about the Brazilian influence of the area. I have heard that this is the epicenter of the Brazilian community in South Florida, but how much of a presence do Brazilians actually have there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 05:22 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Pompano hasn't been very good for a long time except except for in a few spots by the coast and Palm Aire, and Deerfield has always been bad between Dixie and I-95. The rest of it is fine but overshadowed by Boca, also west of 95 is largely retirees. The Brazilian influence in Deerfield is nice (nice looking women) and they are brining life into the areas between US1 and Dixie which were a lot shabbier a few years ago. Pompano supposedly sunk DEEP in the 80s and never fully recovered.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:27 PM

Compelled - I just looked on a map and I think the area where my friend's family lives now is called Deer Creek Golf Club - it's literally right across a canal from Boca. It is just north of Hillsboro Blvd. west of 95.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:34 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Yeah, your friend pretty much has it right and your perceptions were accurate. I'm in Deerfield area a lot lately. Between Dixie and 95 is rough and always been but the area your talking about is fine, in that generic sort of way.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:54 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,465,461 times
Default Brazilian community

It seems to me that the Brazilian population in Pompano is pretty strong out around Sample. I'm not sure of other areas in town.

Last edited by island mermaid; 05-10-2008 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-10-2008, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the reply, mermaid. I am going to visit my parents from May 20-30 for a little vacation and I might have to drive up that way (Pompano/Deerfield) to check it out. A question I have is if there are any cool Keys-style open-air restaurants right on the Intercoastal where you can sit and have a cocktail and watch the boats go by. Someone told me that there was somewhere like that on the Intercoastal in Pompano but I am not sure what exactly it's called.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:40 AM

33 posts, read 65,653 times
i live right off hillsboro and powerline, directly across from Deer Creek in Deer Run. Area is nice. Not a lot of crime, pretty enjoyful. Only 2 bad things right now, gas prices and cost of rent

Old 05-19-2008, 09:34 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Thanks for the reply, mermaid. I am going to visit my parents from May 20-30 for a little vacation and I might have to drive up that way (Pompano/Deerfield) to check it out. A question I have is if there are any cool Keys-style open-air restaurants right on the Intercoastal where you can sit and have a cocktail and watch the boats go by. Someone told me that there was somewhere like that on the Intercoastal in Pompano but I am not sure what exactly it's called.
Crisp444, you should take a look around the neighborhood east of Federal, south of Hillsborough, and north of Lighthouse Point. Have you heard of The Cove? That's a decent area. I ride my bike through there to go to the beach. I live in LHP and that area in The Cove and LHP are amazing. I wouldn't live anywhere else in Broward.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,306 times
I am looking for a half sister, whom I have never met, who I think lives is Deerfield, Fl. Seems like she lives in Pine Tree Mobile Home Park. On Alamander Dr. Can anyone tell me about this area. I am trying to figure out anything I can about her.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:48 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josimon View Post
I am looking for a half sister, whom I have never met, who I think lives is Deerfield, Fl. Seems like she lives in Pine Tree Mobile Home Park. On Alamander Dr. Can anyone tell me about this area. I am trying to figure out anything I can about her.
There is a "people search" on this site. You may want to post this there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area