Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 08:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,245,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Actually it's Florida Plunder and Loot.
LMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 08:20 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
I wrote Governor Crist's office about this hike. They, very kindly, informed me that it would be about $16.28 per 1000 Kwh - this would increase my bill about another $40 per month if the increase is approved.

Do I think my letter had any kind of impact? Not for a minute. FPL has shareholders they need to please. With any luck - this increase won't go through, but I won't hold my breath.

In the meantime, my husband and I aer doing everything possible to reduce our usage of electricity and finding alternate ways.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:22 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
High energy costs, another reason businesses avoid Florida. Big deal, if I get to stay here I am going 100% "off grid".

Old 06-10-2008, 08:44 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Actually it's Florida Plunder and Loot.
I've also recently heard Flicker Plunder and Loot as well as *^%$#@! People and Loving it. (yes, I typed the symbols--I'm sure you can figure it out)

Old 06-10-2008, 11:35 AM

392 posts, read 1,261,440 times
I've already taken steps to try help me out with this rate increase........

Changed most if not ALL my lights to the Compact Flurecent bulbs. Timer on the air conditioner, turned my hot water heater thermostat down.
Run the washer and dryer only when full. Participating in the "ON CALL" program from FPL for my A/C and Hot Water.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:39 PM

439 posts, read 1,748,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAfrica75 View Post
I've already taken steps to try help me out with this rate increase........

Changed most if not ALL my lights to the Compact Flurecent bulbs. Timer on the air conditioner, turned my hot water heater thermostat down.
Run the washer and dryer only when full. Participating in the "ON CALL" program from FPL for my A/C and Hot Water.
I've done most of that and have yet to see any change in my bill. The On Call program saves you a whopping $10.00/month. I had this at my old house, but didn't bother with it for my current place. My current place doesn't have a garage where you can easily put that little box.

I recently made changes with the a/c, so we'll see if that has any effect. I also do the Budget Billing program--even then, my bills are over $180.00 per month! I remember when I first moved in that my bills were around $130.00 per month and eventually went down to $110.00 per month. It's highway robbery for it to cost that much.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:19 PM

392 posts, read 1,261,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona25 View Post
I've done most of that and have yet to see any change in my bill. The On Call program saves you a whopping $10.00/month. I had this at my old house, but didn't bother with it for my current place. My current place doesn't have a garage where you can easily put that little box.

I recently made changes with the a/c, so we'll see if that has any effect. I also do the Budget Billing program--even then, my bills are over $180.00 per month! I remember when I first moved in that my bills were around $130.00 per month and eventually went down to $110.00 per month. It's highway robbery for it to cost that much.
Changing from a incandecent 65 watt down to a CF 30 watt has to save money and it did for me....... The on call at $10.00 a month x 12 months thats $120.00 a year I don't have to pay to FPL.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:19 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,303 times
The good news: This rate increase is NOT approved yet. The state Public Service Commission, which must approve all rate increases, will meet July 1 to consider FPL's request.

The bad news: The last time FPL sought a change in the fuel surcharge, they requested a 19 percent rate increase. The Public Service Commission disagreed -- and granted a 21 percent increase!

If you are interested in letting the Public Service Commission know how you feel this time around, here is a link to an e-mail contact form on the PSC's Web site:

Contact Us - Florida Public Service Commission

Old 06-12-2008, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,660 times
The rate increase is necessary. Of course it's bad news for the budget to have to pay even more, with the economy going crazy the way it is-- but at the root of it, you've got that skyrocketing foreign oil.

As long as utility companies are investing in alternative energy, I'm pretty much in favor of those companies staying in the black.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:00 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Daniel

they are using it to build nuclear reactors if I remember right

link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area