Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 02:20 PM

428 posts, read 1,396,026 times

Advertisements

Having a California number could be an issue, as well as an out of state address.

You may want to:
-Find a friend that has a local address you can use on your resume. Most companies do not want to hire out-of-state folks.
-If you cant change your primary telephone number you can get a prepaid phone with a FLL area code (the sell those at the dollar store,walmart, etc) put some minutes on it and only use it for job related calls.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,244 times
I work for ADP and I am a sales recruiter. I wanted to let you know that I am looking for someone interested in outside sales. Shoot me your resume if interested in hearing more about it.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:50 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
In response to the OP:

I think that changing your address should be the first priority, before changing your phone number. The different area code thing isn't that big of a deal today because everyone has nationwide calling. The address is more important because when they see John Doe- San Francisco, CA, they think you don't live here. That was a problem for me the last time I was job-searching, until someone brought it to my attention. One guy hung up on me after he pulled my resume I faxed in and noticed my address.

I would recommend renting a P.O. Box at a local post office. It only costs about 20 bucks for 6 months of use. One month I'm sure is even cheaper. Then you can forward all of your mail to your Cali address if you want.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:12 PM

8 posts, read 18,675 times
I did all the right things, got the local cell #, had a local address that I actually lived at, got the Florida DL, contacted all the temp agencies, was on the job boards all day and not one single call or denial for that matter.

So after almost 3 months of fun in the sun, I went back to CA, arrived on a Wednesday night, went to the temp agencies on Thursday, placed in a Temp-to-Hire situation Thursday afternoon, now that was fast and I now know that it was not a lack of qualifications or desire to work on my part. It really makes me wonder what the employment managers in South Florida are looking for or if they even have any jobs to place people in. I would have thought it would be atleast nice if I got a few "we are not interested" emails. The funny thing was, I still had my out of state (FL) DL and my 954 area code when I got this new gig.

I really hope that I make it back down there at some point, but who knows at this point. I hope thing turn around down there.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:46 AM

28 posts, read 210,197 times
OK....I've posted this in other areas. I have been job searching in Florida for 14 months now. Don't come here until you have a secure job!!! We moved for a new job my husband took, He was terminated (cutting expenses) in 11 months. He's been looking for 6 months now. Neither of us can find anything remotely near what we had before moving to FL. Florida is Wonderful for vactioning and retirement. I love visiting here. Living here if you have to make a living...is a whole other story!

Old 09-17-2008, 06:54 PM

159 posts, read 456,132 times
Not many jobs in Florida. Always been that way except years ago you could live cheap down there. I tried it, but moved back to Georgia where the jobs are, affordable housing and friendly people. Great place for a vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area