Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:01 PM

193 posts, read 1,143,754 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info! I have a feeling that I would like Fort Lauderdale over Miami.. will keep you guys posted as and when I take a trip down south..thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 09:37 AM

68 posts, read 227,065 times
I moved to Aventura and I really like it here. I am a 20 min drive from both South Beach and Las Olas. You can get a decent 1br here for around 1,000$ a month. Any shopping you might want to do is within a mile or two. The beach is close as well.

Personally if I was deciding between the two again I would choose Aventura again. If I was thinking of buying a home or raising a family here things might be different, but for a single person I couldn't think of a better option.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:13 PM

101 posts, read 283,663 times
I was thinking of moving to Ft Lauderdale from Irvine CA and I just checked the crime stats and it is about 300 times worse in Ft Lauderdale. OP I would check and see if the difference is something you can live with. I personally cannot!

Old 12-28-2008, 08:38 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,476,911 times
LAMelanie>

If you are talking about the crime stats of Fort Lauderdale proper, meaning the city limits, you are probably dead on. But most of the decent areas are outside of the city limits, in the greater Broward County area. Places like Plantation, Davie, Hollywood, Deerfield Beach, Coral SPrings, Coconut Creek, Weston, Pembroke Pines, and Fort Lauderdale Beach. You should consider that those are separate municipalities and that their crime stats will mostly be far less than Fort Lauderdale proper.

I will admit that the crime here is worse than most areas of the country, but it should not be enough to deter someone from living here if you are living in a safer area of town.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:38 AM

7 posts, read 39,361 times
Anything near the railroad tracks is ghetto, and thats from Jacksonville to Miami. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 9 years and either you live by the beach or out west (west of the turnpike) and even that can be sketchy. I moved about 10 years ago, and I lived in Coral Springs, but it seems like you have to keep moving further west to avoid the inner city and the inner city continues to follow. The more out west you go (Western and out there by Sawgrass Mills Mall) you are now far from the beach and night life. If you aren't right on/or near the beach, it's really not worth it, but thats my opinion, not fact. Florida is like Chicago, New York or any where else it has its beautiful parts, and parts that are suspect. It's better to vacation in Florida, the same ol' really gets boring fast..

Old 04-09-2009, 11:27 PM

3 posts, read 5,029 times
I have lived in Fort Lauderdale for about 4 years ... and from my own experience I would not live anywhere else.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:49 AM

87 posts, read 256,877 times
Default Why don't you move to the everglades??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXEDEN5911 View Post
Anything near the railroad tracks is ghetto, and thats from Jacksonville to Miami... it seems like you have to keep moving further west to avoid the inner city and the inner city continues to follow.
In first place, not everything near the railroad is a marginalized area. Did you know that in Orlando the railroad tracks pass by the center of Downtown?? However, Downtown Orlando is one of the wealthiest parts of this Metro Area. To be more exact, railroad pass nearby the Bank of America Business Center, the Central Bus Station as well other major businesses. Have you ever traveled in train from Jacksonville to Miami?

In second place, you said that in Broward County the inner city continues moving toward the west... so, why don't you move to the everglades and have alligators as your neighbors? This would be a perfect place for you!!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:15 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I can tell you why the crime is so bad here in South Florida. The answer is 3-fold.

2. The street-wise New Yorkers who flocked here over the years brought their dog-eat-dog, every man for themselves mentality along with them. You will notice that in South Florida, there is no sense of community in most areas. Most people do not know their neighbors much less have their kids play together or do community service work to better their communities. When you are afraid to associate with your neighbors, this creates a sense of distrust amongst a community.

The result is that you see an every man for himself culture where everyone is out to take advantage of the other guy. You see this in all aspects of life in South Florida. It is most evident on the roads with the road rage thing. By the way, Miami is the #1 worst city for road rage.

3. The poor minority groups and immigrants who arrived and settled in South FLorida over the years has created vast areas, especially in Miami-Dade, of poverty stricken communities.

These communities have been neglected over the years and are worse now than ever. IMO this is a result of the government refusing to fund the schools in these areas, and the strict policies of police and other government agencies that have created a system that ensures that these people will fail in life.

Also, the lack of manufacturing industry here in South Florida and lack of jobs compounds this problem.
This is the most imaginary analysis of life that I've ever heard.

Number two has nothing to do with crime. Dog eat dog? What does that mean? That they work and pay taxes? Why do you think road rage is worst in Miami? BIG COINCIDENCE that Miami is the hub of number 3.

Northerners moved all over Florida. Yet Miami remains the pit.

Number 3 part A is the reason for crime plain and simple. And it's history of cocaine cowboys in the 80's laying a foundation for the sociopathic life.

Miami immigrants are the ones who loudly proclaim "we don't care if immigration is unfair to non hispanics and favors Cubans, they are my blood". [dog eat dog]

Number three part B is nonsense. "Strict policies of the police and other government agencies"? wth....you think government agencies are biased against poor and immigrants....that's the most unsubstantiated opinion I've ever heard. like what?

And since WHEN is the crime rate in a place the FAULT of police? I come from Philly the "City of Murder" and even our MURDERERS don't blame the cops. Our murderers are stand up criminals and take responsiblity for their crimes. They'd mock you for that wussy cop out (no pun intended).

You really LOVE the nanny state concept don't you?

ALL OF FLORIDA comes in FIRST/CLOSE TO FIRST OFF AND ON IN DROPOUT RATES.

Lack of "manufacturing jobs" has nothing to do with crime or the situation in South Fl LOL. Manufacturing has disappeared from the entire USA and So Fl NEVER had manufacturing jobs. Florida has been a tourist/transient state for it's entire history since it became a state and before. A service sector state which ODDLY ENOUGH, CATERS TO THE FOLKS IN NUMBER 3.

There is NO EXCUSE for the CRIME in So Fl except for personal responsibility AND IN THE AFRICAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY special circumstances their PERSONAL NATIVE history of slavery and unstable foundation extending to today living in places like Dunbar Village which is Palm Beach NOT MIAMI. The people in Dunbar fight against the government getting rid of the dump and claim they want it it's part of their history. A point of view others can't understand so that's why I say their personal history. And NOTE: the horrendous Dunbar Village rape a year or two ago was against a Haitian woman and her kid by a bunch of teenage neighbors who's parents said "there's nothing to do after school" meanwhile they are on government assistance and even not attending the stupid after school programs chosing crimes instead. ROFLMAO.

Miami has no excuses. They are the MOST HOSPITABLE place for illegals, legals and crime coming from all demographics. And the most obnoxious fighting with non hispanics "we were here first" and "if you're anglo in Miami you're a tourist".

A person would be out of their mind to chose Miami, absent a specific reason like family or a job specific to the area not available elsewhere.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-10-2009 at 08:27 AM..

Old 04-10-2009, 07:18 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
OP you need to define your wants. When you say some culture for example like what and quantify "some". My son hated living here for 10 years and hi-tailed it back to Phila at his first opportunity. He had a business after college and it took some time to be able to do so.

Culture? hmmmmm......not much....by alot of people's standards, then again several people consider international resturants to be "culture". Yes if course you can find something to do every single day in Miami and alot of stuff going on. But is it your interest and is the overshadowing Latino vibe something that'll work for you. ie people PROUDLY telling you if you're Anglo, you're a tourist. HRMPH.

Phila has it's own culture. A culture of being a sports town for example. A culture of being a restaurant town and city of neighborhoods (and Chi even moreso) for example. I'm not speaking specifically about culture like museums although Phila has some of the OLDEST and most famous in the country. A culture of being home to the founding fathers...a culture of lawyers, doctors teaching hospitals famous ivy league school...professional schools ...etc etc....

You move here strictly for the weather and scenery (ONLY ON WATER) nothing more. With some regional activities like when broadway across america comes or the existing stuff you personally may be interested in. My town has a theater. And regional theater at that. What they showcased all season was kids' stuff. YUK.

Alot of trade offs involved and you need to be happy with living a relatively isolated life finding people you can relate to and ignoring the other 98%. Since they ignore you anyway, that's not hard. Florida is not a bit friendly.

People yell that Florida is so "diverse" because they don't know real diversity. If you're hispanic you think having Mexicans with Brazilians is DIVERSE. So they can call each other names and criticize each other LOL.

So Fl is not diverse at all it is completely Hispanic/Latino (watch what you say, they can't wait to correct your demographic categorizations)....with a handful of high profile African immigrants like Haitians (but I don't think they really show up on the last census).

2000 census population profile per city data page ...you can decide in your subjective view if this is diverse:

quick math calc shows

3% "other" in Miami versus 11% "other" in Chicago

1% of the hispanic number are asian in Miami versus about 17% of the hispanic number are asians in Chi,

total asians in population in Miami is 0.395%
total asians in population in Chi is 3.5%

white: 241,000
hispanic:239,000
african american: 81,000
asian: 2300
american indian alaska 810
Islander: 130
other: 19,000

percentage born IN STATE: 26% LOLOL

Here's Chicago:

white 1,215,000
african american 1,065,000
hispanic latino 753,000
american indian/alaska 10,000
asian 125,000
island 1788
OTHER: 393,200

born in state: 57%

The Miami crime rate has gone down significantly since 2000 when it was almost 1000 to a more respectable HIGH rate of 682 in 2007. I guess that's why the other poster claims the cops are "mean". Chicago's is 582.

checking the city data pages on each city is a good way to see if the state and town is a good fit for you purely scientifically. then you have to come here and visualize your life not just fall hypnotized by palm trees LOL.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-10-2009 at 08:12 AM..

Old 04-10-2009, 09:36 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,476,911 times
runwithscissors>

First, where did I say the cops are responsible for crime? I never said that so you are just making things up to bash me on. You made up a lot of other assumptions while bashing me too. Why don't you keep your right-wing, bigoted, anti-immigration opinions to yourself and quit bashing anyone's post who disagrees with you. If FL is such an immigrant state, you apparently cannot stand it so why don't you move? Every one of your sentences is followed by a LOL. Apparently you think everything is a big joke. Your posts are becoming a joke because you view everything through a right-left political prism.

You don't even know what dog-eat-dog means? I'll give you a teaching lesson. It has nothing to do with working or paying taxes, lol. Its a "run you over, every man for himself" mentality that is prevalent in cities like New York, Boston, Philidelphia, and Miami. Its an aggressive attitude that you cut people off instead of stopping to let them pass in front of you. Its that you win at all costs, even if that means mowing over 10 people to save yourself. Get it now? That is why road rage is bad in Miami. Its the attitude or mentality of the people.

Now, I have no issue with cops. But racial profiling is a big problem, and minorities are arrested at much higher rates than white people. I suppose you think I'm "inventing" that?

You have this view of Miami being some big cess pool filled with criminals, illegals, and drugs. The only reason you think that is because its predominantly Hispanic and black. It is not based on any other factual information, except your assumption that all Hispanics, blacks, immigrants, and other citizens of Miami are poor criminals. Are drugs, illegals, and criminals a big problem in Miami? Of course. But to say that everyone who lives there is either an illegal, a criminal, a druggy, or some other menace to society is beyond absurd. You apparently also dispise all of the immigrants in Palm Beach County as well. Anybody who is not white, non-Hispanic is an immigrant in your view. If you think so lowly of FL, why don't you move away. Move to Alabama so you can get away from all of these terrible immigrants.

Manufacturing jobs have never existed in FL, you are right but that is exactly the point dummy. Due to the explosion in immigration in FL during the 1980's, and the lack of manufacturing jobs to employ all of these new people, is a big reason why there is so much poverty in Dade and Broward Counties. If no manufacturing jobs exist, service jobs are all that's left. And when there's an over-supply of labor available it pushes down wages for those jobs. How can entire groups of people feed their families and survive off of jobs that pay minimum wage? How many people does McDonalds need to employ to scrub the floors and flip the burgers?

How does this relate to crime? When economic conditions are tough, and opportunities are limited, people commit more crime. People turn to drug dealing, etc. Drug use spikes during economic recessions which creates opportunities for drug dealers to prosper. This creates more crime. You can argue the "personal responsibility" for individual circumstances, but to describe conditions of a group as a whole, I'm sorry but the personal responsibility argument doesn't work. Because you are assuming that blacks, immigrants, Hispanics, or other minorities are not personally responsible but you are.

Then you throw in all of this rubbish about Phili's murderers being badder than Miami murderers. Give me a break. Are you in middle school?

Why don't you explain to me what diversity means because apparently you are the expert. I guess Hispanics and blacks don't count. Only Asians and Indians do. Miami has no culture because they are not a sports town like Phili? What a stupid comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area