Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 11:03 PM

38 posts, read 99,163 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I are looking for different areas of Ft. Lauderdale to move to. Can someone please tell me about the suburban areas? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 02:24 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
It depends on what type of environment you're looking for. Do you have children? What's your budget? There are about 20 different suburbs in Broward County (greater Fort Lauderdale) and each are slightly different, yet all have similar characteristics. Generally, the further west you go the more spread out everything is and the cheaper the housing is. But you are further away from the ocean and will have to commute further to work if you work in downtown.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:56 PM

We have a 14 yr old and a 4 yr old. My husband is into law enforcement so will most likely try to get into a police department of the city we move to. I was in law enforcement but I do not know what I am going to do. I guess our budget will be around 70,000/yr. We are looking to rent. We are looking for a nice, safe, diverse area. We are an interracial couple and would like to blend in.

Last edited by tonee273; 12-15-2008 at 08:40 PM..

Old 12-16-2008, 11:15 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
tonee>

Don't worry about "blending in". Fort Lauderdale is so diverse. There is no one racial group that is a majority here. In general, most people don't care about the interracial thing. Broward County is a very liberal area of FL, most people won't bother you. Most people are pretty tolerant here in terms of what you're worried about. Of course, we have our share of crazies just like most places. You could move to most areas of Broward without a problem. If there was one place I'd stay away from in your case it would be Davie. Davie has a reputation for being home to the KKK, although that has changed greatly over the years. But most other places are very tolerant.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:29 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Quote:
If there was one place I'd stay away from in your case it would be Davie. Davie has a reputation for being home to the KKK, although that has changed greatly over the years. But most other places are very tolerant.
WHY DO YOU THINK IT STILL HAS THIS REPUTATION???? You say it enough times and people start to believe it. This is the biggest and most persistent myth I encounter on this board.

40 years ago, a local radio station had a public demonstration that was anti-black, jewish, cuban, whatever... The racists are LONG GONE. Davie is now just as diverse as anywhere else.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
tonee>

Don't worry about "blending in". Fort Lauderdale is so diverse. There is no one racial group that is a majority here. In general, most people don't care about the interracial thing. Broward County is a very liberal area of FL, most people won't bother you. Most people are pretty tolerant here in terms of what you're worried about. Of course, we have our share of crazies just like most places. You could move to most areas of Broward without a problem. If there was one place I'd stay away from in your case it would be Davie. Davie has a reputation for being home to the KKK, although that has changed greatly over the years. But most other places are very tolerant.

We are going to fly down to Ft. Lauderdale in a few months. Thanks for the reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area