Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:12 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times

Advertisements

Depends on what you are looking for

Suburban,

Best:

Parts of Plantation (Old Plantation, The Acres)
Parts of Weston
Parts of South Plantation (west of the high school and east of Peters is nice)
Parts of Coral Springs
Park Land

Worst:

Parts of Tamarac
Parts of Sunrise
Parts of Lauderhill
Parts of Broadview Park
Parts of Hollywood (that whole downtown area is terrible)

Urban (I am only thinking of areas East of 95)

Best

Rio Vista
Southern half of Victoria Park and the finger isles in victoria park
Colee Hammock
Area off of 17st Causway just over the bridge on the N. and S. side of the street
The Isles along Las Olas

Worst
Parts of the sistrunk area (not all of it is bad)
Parts of Flagler Heights
Parts of Wilton Manors
Parts of Pompano
I forget the name of this one area but its the area next to the publix across the street from the Hustler Store.

Also my criteria for nice would be nice homes (not cookie cutter), nicely landscaped/scenic areas. Everyone keeps their homes up, decent school in the area, access to shopping and entertainment etc. etc.

Lets be very clear. None of these areas are CRAZY in terms of you can't walk around or you will be killed sorta deal. Its the usually low income sorta stuff drug dealing, altercations between two people and break ins. But you don't usually hear about stuff like home invasions, crazy rapes and stuff like that. That goes for the Western 'burbs I named to. EXCEPT for the one area I used to live in that was out west (west of University). I won't name the place but I would not move there again, EVER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 07:27 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
In order of safety/crime (not coolest):

Worst:
1. Sistrunk Blvd- worst area of Broward.
2. City of Fort Lauderdale- the entire Northwest quadrant of Fort Lauderdale from Broward Blvd in the south to Commercial Blvd in the north, and from the railroad tracks in the east to Florida's Turnpike in the west.
3. Pompano Beach- anywhere west of Dixie Highway out to Florida's Turnpike.
4. East Miramar- Between Turnpike and Douglass Road.
5. Hollywood- Northeast section spanning from Hollywood Blvd north to Dania Beach between US1 and I-95.

Best:
1. Weston
2. Parkland
3. Coral Springs
4. East Fort Lauderdale- Las Olas/Rio Vista neighborhoods
5. Anywhere along A1A/beach

Old 02-05-2010, 10:16 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
I think that Wild Style is right on, but Moderator cut: sorry, it's still rude even if you add lol, all in good nature nolefan is a little off.

1. Sistrunk Blvd- worst area of Broward. - No way, go up Hammondville Rd in Pompano for #1. This should be like #3.
2. City of Fort Lauderdale- the entire Northwest quadrant of Fort Lauderdale from Broward Blvd in the south to Commercial Blvd in the north, and from the railroad tracks in the east to Florida's Turnpike in the west. - Agree.
3. Pompano Beach- anywhere west of Dixie Highway out to Florida's Turnpike.- #1, but specifically north of Atlantic. To the south you have ok to nice areas.
4. East Miramar- Between Turnpike and Douglass Road. - Shouldn't even be on the list. Anything more than 2 blocks away from Pembroke Rd or not around Sherman Circle is dead quiet day or night. West Park/Pembroke Park/Carver Ranches should take it's place. Or Lauderhill.
5. Hollywood- Northeast section spanning from Hollywood Blvd north to Dania Beach between US1 and I-95. - This needs to expand south to Pembroke Rd and also include the State Road 7 corridor.

You top 5 are subjective but I pretty much agree, except that Coral Springs is losing it's luster a little bit IMO. I might consider Cooper City or west Pines to take it's place.

Last edited by fauve; 02-05-2010 at 12:26 PM..

Old 02-05-2010, 12:15 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Depends on what you are looking for

Suburban,

Best:

Parts of Plantation (Old Plantation, The Acres)
Parts of Weston
Parts of South Plantation (west of the high school and east of Peters is nice)
Parts of Coral Springs
Park Land

Worst:

Parts of Tamarac
Parts of Sunrise
Parts of Lauderhill
Parts of Broadview Park
Parts of Hollywood (that whole downtown area is terrible)

Urban (I am only thinking of areas East of 95)

Best

Rio Vista
Southern half of Victoria Park and the finger isles in victoria park
Colee Hammock
Area off of 17st Causway just over the bridge on the N. and S. side of the street
The Isles along Las Olas

Worst
Parts of the sistrunk area (not all of it is bad)
Parts of Flagler Heights
Parts of Wilton Manors
Parts of Pompano
I forget the name of this one area but its the area next to the publix across the street from the Hustler Store.

Also my criteria for nice would be nice homes (not cookie cutter), nicely landscaped/scenic areas. Everyone keeps their homes up, decent school in the area, access to shopping and entertainment etc. etc.

Lets be very clear. None of these areas are CRAZY in terms of you can't walk around or you will be killed sorta deal. Its the usually low income sorta stuff drug dealing, altercations between two people and break ins. But you don't usually hear about stuff like home invasions, crazy rapes and stuff like that. That goes for the Western 'burbs I named to. EXCEPT for the one area I used to live in that was out west (west of University). I won't name the place but I would not move there again, EVER.

Why Parts of Weston? IMO all of Weston is great. But I am biased.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:13 PM

LOL Weston? That place is like the Beverly Hills of South FL.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:47 PM

I thought that was Parkland?

Old 02-05-2010, 06:55 PM

No its Weston. Parkland has a more country-ish feel to it than Weston. Weston is like the new Boca.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:01 AM

9 posts, read 94,756 times
is tamarac shaker village ghetto

Old 02-06-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
No its Weston. Parkland has a more country-ish feel to it than Weston. Weston is like the new Boca.
So Boca is no longer en vogue?

Old 02-07-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
So Boca is no longer en vogue?
No it is. Boca is still Boca. But Weston is like a new vesion of Boca. Some distinct differences, but also lots of similarities. Boca is still more exclusive than Weston. I just compare the two because of the numerous gated communities for wealthy and upper-middle income residents. There are no bad areas of Weston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area