Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 29,438 times

Advertisements

Okay i quit my job becasue was getting yelled at and cursed out and it was 86 degrees in the office my sister owns the company, so i sent in a letter of resignation: [mod]removed actual names[/mod]
Please accept this letter as notification that I am leaving my position with [mod] removed name of actual company[/mod] as of June 22th 2009. I am sorry to inform you that I feel I can not work in a unethical, unprofessional and unbearingly warm work enviorment.

Best Regards,
And they send me 2 letters: i really dont give a ****!!!! you guys are a bunch of traders and conspirators good luck and god bless!!! peace!!!
:: and :: you dont need to give me a resignation you were fired!!!!!!!

meanwhile I waws never told i was fired or got a letter of termination
There has to be employee rights.. you cant keep cursing and screaming at employees and keep them in 86 degrees what an i do legally????

Last edited by fauve; 06-23-2009 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 09:48 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
You sent in a letter of resignation...right? Then that's it. Time to move on. Your sister owns the company? Did you report directly to her?

Old 06-24-2009, 07:25 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
There are really no employee rights in Florida since it a employment at will state.

The only recourse you might have is if you were in a union, covered by an employment contract, or can prove discrimination due to one of the federally protected classes: race, creed etc....

Even if you had any of those you submitted a letter of resignation. You quit. Time to move on.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:10 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
RMD

a lot of people believe that non sense and it simply isn't true. Of course you have rights. There are federal laws (which supersede state laws) that employers can not cross. Why do you think they try to document EVERYTHING before firing someone at a job (unless you work for morons). You can turn around and sue them for wrongful termination or discrimination. For example not giving a person the necessary tools to complete their job, that's grounds fora law suit. Or creating or fostering a hostile work environment. You guys gotta learn your rights man. People don't organize into unions down here which is a shame, but you gotta hold these companies accountable. Some of these places are being run by barbarians.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:32 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
You are correct about the hostile work environment and safety laws etc.

In the context of the tiny snippet of information the OP has told us, none of these things apply.

If you are upset about the thermostat setting and that someone is cursing at you well...I don't think there is much legal recourse here.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:34 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
The trick is finding a lawyer to take the case or learning the confusing world of the corrupt court system to do it yourself. As mentioned above you have OSHA everywhere, and in every place of work the basic worker's rights must be posted. I know of an employer ( an insane jerk) who was successfully sued for wrongful termination and was eventually dragged across the carpet by the IRS for tax evasion. He was trying to get the secretary in bed and when she refused he fired her father who worked for the company. Being friends with their accountant he was able to gather enough evidence for an IRS meeting and used that as part of his lawsuit. Ultimately the employer went out of business and the employee wrongfully terminated used his settlement to start his own business and rehired some of the former employees.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
You are correct about the hostile work environment and safety laws etc.

In the context of the tiny snippet of information the OP has told us, none of these things apply.

If you are upset about the thermostat setting and that someone is cursing at you well...I don't think there is much legal recourse here.
agreed! I was just pointing out that people do have rights. Just make me upset to think someone would allow their rights to be trampled on because they think they have none. Some of these corporations and businesses are absolutely savage in the way they treat their employees and in many cases these employees have rights to fight these actions. Though, hostile work environment might work for the cursing and belligerent behavior this person says was displayed. They would have to get a well versed lawyer to tell her one way or the other though. Also helps to have documentation of who, what, when and where.

Where I work I document everything and generally only communicate via email. Also if there is something that happens face to face I follow it up with a email and in the email I detail everything that was said during our face to face so later on no one can catch amnesia.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:47 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Where I work I document everything and generally only communicate via email. Also if there is something that happens face to face I follow it up with a email and in the email I detail everything that was said during our face to face so later on no one can catch amnesia.
Exactly. Even in my union job that is invaluable. I also quietly document everything that happens that relates to me. It's all in my "for future use" file.

Example: During an orientation, manager foolishly states: "We're sick of all these young kids. That's why you see so many "mature" [using air quotes right in front of us lol] new hires. Now we're hiring "mature" folks to see how that works out."

whata dope.

OH...then we have "We suggest you come in on Saturday to observe us even though we can't pay you".

"That's illegal, we're hourly not salaried".

"No it's not".

ROFL....these are supposed to be actual corporate people? That's in my NLRB folder. I had that before in a grocery store job who worked us off the clock (clocking us out for a lunch we weren't allowed to take)....and as soon as I mentioned the NLRB I got the back pay. And my hours cut from 40 to 4. HR did nothing about it and said "Well I told you if you pressed it he'd cut your hours."

Old 06-24-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Exactly. Even in my union job that is invaluable. I also quietly document everything that happens that relates to me. It's all in my "for future use" file.

Example: During an orientation, manager foolishly states: "We're sick of all these young kids. That's why you see so many "mature" [using air quotes right in front of us lol] new hires. Now we're hiring "mature" folks to see how that works out."

whata dope.

OH...then we have "We suggest you come in on Saturday to observe us even though we can't pay you".

"That's illegal, we're hourly not salaried".

"No it's not".

ROFL....these are supposed to be actual corporate people? That's in my NLRB folder. I had that before in a grocery store job who worked us off the clock (clocking us out for a lunch we weren't allowed to take)....and as soon as I mentioned the NLRB I got the back pay. And my hours cut from 40 to 4. HR did nothing about it and said "Well I told you if you pressed it he'd cut your hours."
Some of these people in charge are absolute savages.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,910 times
Ok I have a question I was cursed out an fired because I went to work no one was there which is unusual so I continued to knock an ring the door bell after five minutes I tried contacting the owner via cell phone an Tex message after ten min I sent another Tex saying u was going home due to nobody being at the job location an no response from the owner about 50 min later I got a Tex back saying I was in an f...ing meeting with the state that's why I didn't answer my dam. Phone the key is outside for you now my dam. Client is by his self don't ever call my f...ing phone again. So I respectfully responded saying please don't ever disrespect me an when the discussion came about to leave the key outside someone could have contacted me I'm no mind reader God See's all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
View detailed profiles of: