Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:38 PM

324 posts, read 807,722 times

Advertisements

I have hopped around South Florida for the past 6 years. I'm a renter and plan to be one for a while. I like to experience new towns and neighborhoods constantly. I'll settle down eventually But not yet. This is a list of the cities that I have experienced and my view of them. I'm sure they will vary from others but this is just my opinion. I'm a single white male in my late 20's.

Margate: First place I moved down from NJ to. I lived off Rock Island rd in an apartment complex. North of Royal Palm and south of Sample. Area was semi Relaxed. Some riff raff but not bad. Nice Golf courses but I had two vehicles stolen from me in the parking lot. That soured my opinion a bit. Good overall young professional neighborhood.

North Lauderdale: Off Rock Island as well. Near Cypress Creek Blvd. I didn't really fit in to the population and it was quite evident. I was constantly pulled over by BSO asking what I was doing in that neighborhood. Given questioning looks as I explained I lived there. It was a bachelor pad shared friends and I. Even had a deputy tell me I should move to Boca. I got tired off all the crime in the complex and indeed moved to Boca.

East Boca Raton: Lived in a Midrise in Mizner Park. Extreme opposite of where I lived in North Lauderdale. Lots of entertainment and restaurants in walking distance. The beach was also within reasonable walking distance. I liked the area but quickly grew tired of some things. My building was full of Rich FAU kids whose parents were paying the bills. I was paying 1800 a month for a small apartment on my own dime. And didn't appreciate the property damage the drunken college kids caused. Or the dirty condoms floating in the otherwise beautiful pool and spa. I also learned that Boca Raton PD is pretty much useless.

Central Boca Raton: Lived in a great little community near Palmetto Park rd and Powerline. Lots of shopping near by and entertainment. Quiet and safe. Great area for younger children and great neighbors who actually cared about where they lived. Would have stayed longer but I started to date a girl living in Coral springs.

Coral Springs: Lived off Atlantic and Coral Ridge Drive. Beautiful neighborhood. Lots of families. Only thing that struck me as strange was the pretentiousness seemed worse there than in East and Central Boca. In the end it proved to be too far from the beach for me.

Lighthouse Point: One of my favorite places in south Florida. For the same price as my tiny apartment in Mizner I had a 4 bedroom house with a pool. Neighbors were very friendly and the Local Police where as good as it gets. Great small town feel to the place. Very relaxed beach vibe. Loved being able to hop on the ferry to caps place for a few cocktails. The only issue I could see is if you have children then private school is the way to go.

Detour to South Carolina: Not my cup of tea.

Coconut Creek: I currently reside in the Winston Park area. Love it here. Great neighbors who care about their properties. Feels safer than Coral Springs and less pretentious. Lots of young families and entertainment. Pretty heavy police presence. Would feel safe raising my child here. I plan to stay here for a while but I can't help but think about Lighthouse Point again.

As I stated at the top. This is just my opinion of the areas that I have lived in. Everyone has a right to their own opinion and yours may vary from mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 12:59 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,155,272 times
Thanks for posting - it's good to see opinions.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:47 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,713,503 times
Great idea for a thread - I've lived in 9 - gonna have to come back later when I have more time to write that novella....

Old 04-29-2010, 05:03 PM

351 posts, read 1,127,288 times
Thanks for your post Johnny! I also like that area of Coconut Creek - it's not TOO far from the beach, and the new shopping and restaurants at the Promenade are close by. Lots of parks, and wide sidewalks and bike trails. I always see lots of families out with their kids, biking, skating, etc. The LA Fitness near there is good too.

I actually lived just a bit south of that area in the Palm Aire/Coconut Creek area until recently. Now I live east of U.S. 1, in the Coral Ridge area. Within biking distance to the beach and walking distance to many restaurants, to live music at Culture Room. It's so nice being east. But we do not have children, so schools are not a consideration...

Old 04-29-2010, 06:20 PM

469 posts, read 1,328,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Great idea for a thread - I've lived in 9 - gonna have to come back later when I have more time to write that novella....
I'd love to hear about them all!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:58 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,803,481 times
Plantation
Fort Lauderdale
Pembroke PInes
Davie
Hollywood
Miramar (West Miramar)
Kendall
South Miami
Coral Gables
Miami Beach
Brickell/Roads

Old 04-29-2010, 10:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
johnnypockets! Thanks for posting that!!

I'm curious about Margate...two cars stolen from your apartment parking lot? Is that a common thing everywhere, or would you attribute it to something in specific there? Wow.

I'm also curious about North Lauderdale. DId they assume you were 'looking for drugs' by being in that area? I know when I drive into 'shady areas' of other parts of the U.S., that is what police and even locals seem to think. I don't know North Lauderdale...sorry...but I do recall parts of Lauderdale have that issue/problem...

Boca has never interested me...and your post kind of confirms that for me Same with South Carolina!

Coral Springs sounds a little interesting. The pretensiousness factor though. That would grind on me quickly. I like the family part, as I'm at that stage now after a long delay/transition into it (i.e. I had a lot of fun for a long time already).

Sounds interesting...as does Coconut Creek.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:18 AM

324 posts, read 807,722 times
Both cars that were stolen in Margate were made by Honda and stripped for parts. I was lucky that Geico understood my problem and did their best to help. This can happen anywhere in the country but the criminal element within the complex probably helped to expedite it.

One thing that really burns me about that complex has to do with my first week there. 2 nights after moving in I heard a couple of popping sounds. I know the sound of gunfire and do not confuse it with fireworks. Once the gunfire ended I made my way into the breezeway and found a teenager laying on the ground. He was not seriously hurt but screaming like a maniac. He took what appeared to be a 9mm slug that plugged in his leg. I calmly told him that I was going inside to call the police and get him a blanket. The blanket that I got for him just so happened to be the one that I was brought home from the hospital in on the day of my birth. The shooting was found to be drug related. He was fine but I never got me blanket back. My Irish Catholic mother is forever angry at me for that.

It was not the best welcome to Broward county but honestly I cannot say that things like this do not happen in Essex county NJ also.

In North Lauderdale they definitely thought that I was looking for drugs. Most of the time that I was pulled over it was by BSO narcotics. Flat out that area is heavy with drug distribution. I lived there for a year and it was extremely evident.

Coral springs in my opinion is very nice. Not perfect but nowhere is. I personally would feel more comfortable with my daughter in Coconut Creek but thats just me. It is a smaller town and I feel that she would have a better chance of appreciating where she lives here.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:17 AM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,989 times
Cooper City (East 90th)
Cooper City (West Flamingo)
Hollywood (Royal Poinciana GHETTO off US1/Lincoln)
Pembroke Pines (next to mall)
Miami Shores (off 103rd, GHETTO)
Cooper City (off 90th)
Hallandale Beach (95/Beach Blvd)
Plantation (Polo Glen VERY nice)
(off to NY for 3 months)
Hollywood (Royal Poinciana again!)
Tamarac (West, finally bought a place)

Old 05-01-2010, 01:58 PM

90 posts, read 182,844 times
Hollywood, Pembroke Pines, Dania, Fort Lauderdale, Oakland Park and Coral Springs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area