Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 08:35 AM

9 posts, read 11,907 times

Advertisements

Hello ... we want to purchase a home in FL as soon as our youngest graduates from college. A little about us ... we are both in our 50’s, Caucasian, European decent, raised Catholic, don’t speak any foreign languages. Hubby born & raised in suburbs of New York City; after college moved to Maryland suburbs of Washington, DC. Wife born & raised in Maryland suburbs of Washington, DC. We reside in Loudoun County, VA (a DC suburb) where the 2012 median household income was about $119K. Our home is currently worth about $600K/equity about $300K.

Our must haves /wants ...
Hubby in sales & will continue as a consultant & willl travel often -- would like to be within 30 miles of an International Airport.
Wife lost job of 12 years; won't look for employment in FL
Would like to live in a gated community -- a 55+ community would be okay.
No condominium/apartment style living.
Willing to pay HOA dues -- don’t want to pay CDD dues.
Politically -- county that leans to left/center/OR slightly to right (based on 2012 Presidential election, rules out St John’s/Indian River/Martin/Escambia/Collier Counties).
Don’t want to live in a county ranked in the top 5 for sinkholes (rules out Pasco/Hernando/Hillsborough/Pinellas Counties).
Don’t want to live in a city ranked high for hurricanes (sorry Boca Raton #10 & Miami #11).
Would prefer public water & sewer -- never had a home with well water or septic.
Want to be close to beaches -- what’s close in FL -- within 10 miles, 15 miles, 20 miles??
Wife loves to lounge/walk on beach & hubby is a water person.
We don’t boat or play tennis (but could learn) & hubby plays golfs.
Low crime is always a plus & we won't need schools/colleges.

Obviously living in vs visiting a city is different, but sometimes you get a "feel" for the area. We've vacationed in Ft. Myers Beach & visited Cape Coral/not sure, Port Charlotte & Punta Gorda/too far from either airport/beach. Visited Naples/might be too "right" leaning for us. Attended wedding in Daytona Beach/Flagler/Palm Coast -- didn't like the "feel" of those cities. Vacationed in ... Sunny Isles/torn about the area, Orlando/not near beach & Key West/too far to Int'l Airport.

Looking into Palm Beach County/but ranked high for hurricanes & probably too expensive, Coral Springs/low crime but seems too far to Ocean. Is our must-have list too detailed? Any cities / neighborhoods a good fit? THANKS for reading my LONG post!!

Last edited by FrugalMother; 03-11-2013 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 01:40 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,835,827 times
You are not safe from hurricanes anywhere in Florida.

I think Fort Lauderdale would be good for you. Nice FLL airport right there. And if you need to fly international, MIA is not far either.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:56 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,477,894 times
I agree that Fort Lauderdale area would be a good fit for the following reasons-

-You are within 30 miles of 3 international airports- Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and Palm Beach.
-Broward County is a blue county
-You can only live within 20 miles of the beach here. You could live right on the beach if you wanted, but most likely you'll want something more modest and affordable further inland. A western suburb like Coral Springs or Weston perhaps.
-schools are not a concern, so you have way more options of where to live.
-There are millions of ex-New Yorkers down here so you'll fit right in

The only concerns are that the entire region is hurricane prone. Boca and Miami are only a matter of a few miles from Fort Lauderdale, so if a major storm hits Boca, it will affect the entire 100 miles around it too. A western suburb of Fort Lauderdale may be a good pick because the further inland you are the less of a wind impact you would get.

I would also add that Fort Lauderdale is VERY different than Fort Myers, Punta Gorda, and Port Charlotte. Fort Lauderdale is much more densely populated and has a more upbeat pace of life. Those other cities are the definition of laid back retirement areas. Now you can find retirement areas in Broward County as there are many of them, but the minute you leave your retirement community you're back to the real world.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:54 PM

Thanks -- yeah, I know hurricanes are common in FL -- some cities do receive more "direct" hits than others & obviously the closer you are to water, the more prone to flooding. We have 2 relatives with homes in Ocean City, MD -- 1 gets a flooded back yard & the other looses shinges after every Nor'Easter (2 so far this winter season).

We have a wedding in the So FL area this Fall, so I'll have to research Coral Springs & Weston thoroughly before we arrive. Elsewhere I've read to look into Oakland Park & Parkland. What would be a quick description / pros-cons / comparison of these towns based on what I've detailed in my OP?

Old 03-11-2013, 06:25 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,835,827 times
12 years ago, I moved from NYC to Weston, and been here ever since. Coral Springs is also very nice, and Parkland is very nice. But I am perfectly happy in Weston.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 PM

3,249 posts, read 3,204,745 times
IMHO, no city in Broward county is safe from a hurricane. That's why many of us have hurricane shutters and/or panels. So unless you're willing to join the rest of us during the annual hurricane watch (from mid-June through November) then you will not be happy here. Hurricanes are a fact of life for us-- just because the center of a storm hits Boca, for example, doesn't mean that Parkland and Coral Springs wouldn't get clobbered (it depends on the size of storm, location of the intensity of winds, angle of impact, etc. etc.). We are all getting killed by the hurricane insurance rates -- no one city in Broward County is being given an insurance break more than another, and if anything, the further east you are, the greater the likelihood you will pay more for home owner's insurance due to wind.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:31 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,477,894 times
South FL building standards are the strictest in the country and many neighborhoods in the newer suburbs such as Weston, Coral Springs, Parkland were built in recent decades. So while we are more hurricane prone than anywhere else, your home has less of a chance of collapsing here than most places.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 AM

Nolefan34 -- thanks for the South FL building standards information. Somewhere I had read to purchase a home in coastal FL built after 2004 for this same reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area