Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 07:41 AM

374 posts, read 796,165 times

Advertisements

We are coming down in a few weeks and wanted to know where the best place to go to see gators is (in the Everglades, mind you) I heard Shark Valley, but I don't know anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 09:24 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,151 times
There is a dirt road off of Alligator Alley,that is used for those 4 wheeler swamp buggies.We explored it ones day and found a big enclosure with a lot of swamp buggies and a couple of miles further down there was a canal with a lot of vegetation around it that was home to several huge bull gators.14 footers for sure and fun to see in the wild rather than in a zoo.I was filming them and wifey was freaking out thinking they were going to grab me and that video would be on "faces of death"
So if you want to see some,go explore those dirt roads.......good adventure.
Best place to see them in a zoo setting is "Gatorama".....they have a giant gator named "Goliath" which is quite a sight and also lots of crocs.Well worth the money.It is out past Labelle on rt 29 as I remember.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:05 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,984 times
You can see them in the wild from an air boat . The boat ride is a blast! I don't know about bugs this time of year down there.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:02 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
There is a dirt road off of Alligator Alley,that is used for those 4 wheeler swamp buggies.We explored it ones day and found a big enclosure with a lot of swamp buggies and a couple of miles further down there was a canal with a lot of vegetation around it that was home to several huge bull gators.14 footers for sure and fun to see in the wild rather than in a zoo.I was filming them and wifey was freaking out thinking they were going to grab me and that video would be on "faces of death"
So if you want to see some,go explore those dirt roads.......good adventure.
Best place to see them in a zoo setting is "Gatorama".....they have a giant gator named "Goliath" which is quite a sight and also lots of crocs.Well worth the money.It is out past Labelle on rt 29 as I remember.
You be careful of those dirt roads off the alley. A lot of that is ***** land.. White man laws don't apply to the red man.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:19 PM

376 posts, read 910,681 times
The BEST place to see lots of gators close up is Loop Road, off 41 ~ take the east part. The west end is almost impossible to navigate. Nothing back there but a few hardy souls and a rusted out car. Make sure your vehicle has plenty of gas and pack water. I lost GPS and cell phone service about 8 miles in.

It is absolutely free and amazing!

Old 06-13-2010, 06:53 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,151 times
Wow....right up my alley....exactly where is that loop rd?.and what town?

Old 06-13-2010, 07:15 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Wow....right up my alley....exactly where is that loop rd?.and what town?
It loops around from forty mile bend to Monroe station off 41

Old 06-13-2010, 07:33 AM

376 posts, read 910,681 times
Sam ~ I'll try to post a few pics.... it is worth the drive.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:10 AM

304 posts, read 745,198 times
We have explored a lot of the above mentioned places and for me, the best place so far has been at Myakka River State Park in Sarasota. $6 entrance fee, huge, gorgeous state park with tons to do but best part in that in the late afternoon/early evening all the gators come out to feed and sun and you can get as close to them as you want. They all gather near a part of the river called the "dam" and you can literally get within a foot of them. Its spectacular and unique for how close you can get and the viewing angle.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:09 AM

320 posts, read 1,129,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeyourthoughts View Post
We have explored a lot of the above mentioned places and for me, the best place so far has been at Myakka River State Park in Sarasota. $6 entrance fee, huge, gorgeous state park with tons to do but best part in that in the late afternoon/early evening all the gators come out to feed and sun and you can get as close to them as you want. They all gather near a part of the river called the "dam" and you can literally get within a foot of them. Its spectacular and unique for how close you can get and the viewing angle.
Do they let you pet them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area