Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 01:17 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNDHOG View Post
Okay, people here are comparing FMB to Bermuda/Tortola?

As far as I can tell no one here is posting from those "vacation destinations."

There is nothing wrong with FMB as your "home beach" and visiting other beautiful beaches. One being nice doesn't mean it detracts from the others.

Think of it this way. There are THOUSANDS of families who save money all year to spend THOUSAND(S) of dollars here. On Junky old Fort Myers Beach....for just one week vacation. The difference here? Those of us in FM/FMB/CC have access to FMB every single day.

We can also get to Siesta Key in an hour. South Beach in two.
I use to have access to FMB every day for years. I avoided it. If I'm going to spend money on a vacation I'm going elsewhere. But, as said, we all have different preferences and experiences. If you've never been to an upscale, turquoise water, pink sand beach, then I can see the confusion. And some people don't want that sort of thing. Kind of like some people love Walmart and others try to avoid at all costs.

There's two sides to the coin, also. You have to understand that just because you love something, it doesn't mean everyone else will, too.

If you love FMB and other people don't, let it go. This is a forum with different opinions. People interested in moving to the area usually want to read all sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 05:28 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
If you've never been to an upscale, turquoise water, pink sand beach, then I can see the confusion. And some people don't want that sort of thing. Kind of like some people love Walmart and others try to avoid at all costs.
That includes me. I have never been to an upscale, pink sand beach and we like shopping at Wal Mart.

I have been to several beaches in the U.S. - Sanibel, Clearwater, St. Augustine, Outer Banks of NC, New Jersey, Maine, and SoCal - and none of them were even close to being as beautiful as the sourh part of FMB.

Last edited by hiker45; 06-22-2013 at 05:39 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 10:00 PM

254 posts, read 433,780 times
Quote:
I use to have access to FMB every day for years. I avoided it. If I'm going to spend money on a vacation I'm going elsewhere. But, as said, we all have different preferences and experiences. If you've never been to an upscale, turquoise water, pink sand beach, then I can see the confusion. And some people don't want that sort of thing. Kind of like some people love Walmart and others try to avoid at all costs.

There's two sides to the coin, also. You have to understand that just because you love something, it doesn't mean everyone else will, too.

If you love FMB and other people don't, let it go. This is a forum with different opinions. People interested in moving to the area usually want to read all sides.
No, I don't love fmb. Haven't even been down that way in a few years.

You may not vacation here, but thousands of families do.

And you post enough on the FM forum that you must have some love for the area.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:05 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
No, I don't love fmb. Haven't even been down that way in a few years.

You may not vacation here, but thousands of families do.

And you post enough on the FM forum that you must have some love for the area.
I have family in the area, so I still visit. I also post here because I want to answer questions. That's the point of City Data, to give opinions. It may not be an opinion that you agree with but there have been several people that have come on over the years with the same background and experiences and they have appreciated my opinions.

Regarding your highlighted statement, you also just wrote:

Quote:
Those of us in FM/FMB/CC have access to FMB every single day
So which is it?

Old 06-23-2013, 03:58 PM

254 posts, read 433,780 times
Quote:
Those of us in FM/FMB/CC have access to FMB every single day.

We can also get to Siesta Key in an hour. South Beach in two.
Quote:
...I Haven't even been down that way in a few years.
Quote:
So which is it?

Which is what? Both statements are correct.

Locals have access to FMB every day if they choose. I, myself, have not been there in years. Work, errands, raising a family, etc keep me away from the beach. Most of my boating is done on the river.

Furthermore, I implore you to understand that the ONLY time I disagreed with you is when you insisted I love FMB when I never made the claim.

Most times, we find ourselves in agreement on many issues not in this particular thread.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:52 PM

130 posts, read 277,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
That includes me. I have never been to an upscale, pink sand beach and we like shopping at Wal Mart.

I have been to several beaches in the U.S. - Sanibel, Clearwater, St. Augustine, Outer Banks of NC, New Jersey, Maine, and SoCal - and none of them were even close to being as beautiful as the sourh part of FMB.
Exactly what is meant by the south part of FMB? I've seen that mentioned several times. Do you mean to just walk south of Times Square? Drive a couple miles?

Old 07-11-2013, 08:16 PM

964 posts, read 2,064,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtobewarm View Post
Exactly what is meant by the south part of FMB? I've seen that mentioned several times. Do you mean to just walk south of Times Square? Drive a couple miles?
I think they may mean the less honky-tonk area down by Lover's Key State Park, but not sure.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:21 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
The water gets more turquoise the further south you get away from the Caloosahatchee's brownish water, especially in rainy season. Naples beach has beautiful water.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:24 AM

10 posts, read 16,302 times
Could you please read my post * Newbie to Retirement* of July 13, 2013.
Any advice would be greatly appreciate. Peter.... (sorry new to forum sites and learning).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
Before I bought I researched a lot and had stumbled across this forum and I was shockked when I first visited the area and saw first hand the negative pictures that people painted were so off based.

Some people legit won't like the area......heat, lack of vegetation in some area, very little uniqueness in the houses or whatever.

I think when someone is constantly twisting things, making non issues issues, and borderline lying makes them lose credibilty. Shame on them and anyone who would listen to an anonymous person that slices meat for airline food but seems to be an expert economist

Old 07-13-2013, 12:35 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtobewarm View Post
Exactly what is meant by the south part of FMB?
The area south of the Holiday Inn, which is about a mile north of the bridge across Big Carlos Pass. There is no public parking, so it is mainly for people who are staying there. I guess you could park somewhere else and then take the trolley.

The beach there is very nice, but the amount of wildlife is what makes it special in our opinion. There is much more wildlife than we saw at Sanibel or Lovers Key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area