Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times

Advertisements

Lee County has never been trendy. Ever. Since the advent of air conditioning it has attracted retirees on a budget that don't care for something out of the ordinary. They are looking for a fairly uniform looking home, not a fixer-upper, not something edgy. They tend to shop at the big boxes and want to enjoy the weather and die in peace. Nothing wrong with that; I can't stress this enough. But don't look for trailblazers because it is probably not going to happen in my lifetime. In fact, it is one of the reasons I left. I'm into gentrifying neighborhoods and I really looked for that. I even lived in some very, very iffy neighborhoods in Fort Myers - and worse - and the area just doesn't attract that type of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 10:34 AM

132 posts, read 557,235 times
Dean Park is in that area and it's a trendy spot. The homes are older and full of character. I love it. I agree that the riverside area north of downtown could become a desirable area. Dean Park was a dump 15 yrs ago too. Some smart and brave people bought those homes and took pride in them. Soon the whole place turned around. I think the riverside area of PBB is better than the areas further from the river but it's still not great. If I didn't have a family I'd live there, but I don't think it's a very good/safe place to raise children.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:35 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Hik and Mike I can see both your points. As I said I grew up in Fort Myers so I know it's not the most progressive place to be, but at the same time I can only hope that neighborhoods like Dean Park are the beginning of a trend and not an anomaly. Like I said, it's sure is a shame though because that riverside area is beautiful.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:40 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Dean Park is still in the ghetto......it's not a safe area.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:25 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I lived in Dean Park ten years ago and it was NOT gentrified. There wasn't even the beginnings of it. There was a bit of gentrification during the tail end of the housing boom - I had already moved away - and that was because the area was running out of affordable places to live. Still, there were folks that came in and started to restore some of the homes. Unfortunately, the bust cut all of that short. Most of those homes - bought at very, very high prices and with restoration loans to boot - fell into foreclosure. The area is NOT gentrified.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:06 AM

9 posts, read 29,780 times
I'm not sure of the exact location you're asking about, but if it's around Ford St. area it is probably not the place that you would want to live. In Fort Myers a few miles can mean all the difference in the neigborhood. If the price is low compared to other similar homes in the area I would take that as a red flag. Homes in town are a bit pricey to say the least, so a home that is lower in price than similar homes in the area, ther is a reason for that. It could be a high crime area or the home could have serious problems that would make it unlivable. The best couse of action would be to come down ere and look for yourself. I've been to Kansas City before and you could make some very similar comparisons. Some areas just are older parts of town, and don't really have a higher crime rate, or it could be an area that you wouldn't want to step outside after dark. Nothing beats looking for yourself. My advise would be to find as many homes that meet your criteria that you have time to visit in your time here. That's what I did when I moved here and I think I did pretty well. You may also want to look at foreclosure auctions. In Lee Co. the auctions are done online, and you could potentially get a great bargain. I hope this helps you. You're welcome to visit, and if you have any free time after you've done your search there's a multitude of things to do in the area.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomudge View Post
I'm not sure of the exact location you're asking about, but if it's around Ford St. area it is probably not the place that you would want to live. In Fort Myers a few miles can mean all the difference in the neigborhood. If the price is low compared to other similar homes in the area I would take that as a red flag. Homes in town are a bit pricey to say the least, so a home that is lower in price than similar homes in the area, ther is a reason for that. It could be a high crime area or the home could have serious problems that would make it unlivable. The best couse of action would be to come down ere and look for yourself. I've been to Kansas City before and you could make some very similar comparisons. Some areas just are older parts of town, and don't really have a higher crime rate, or it could be an area that you wouldn't want to step outside after dark. Nothing beats looking for yourself. My advise would be to find as many homes that meet your criteria that you have time to visit in your time here. That's what I did when I moved here and I think I did pretty well. You may also want to look at foreclosure auctions. In Lee Co. the auctions are done online, and you could potentially get a great bargain. I hope this helps you. You're welcome to visit, and if you have any free time after you've done your search there's a multitude of things to do in the area.

All I have to say is that you chose to live in Lehigh.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:15 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Some people think that area of Fort Myers is safe. However, it's sort of like saying a greasy cheeseburger, fries, with a chocolate shake and a Devil Dog is a healthful lunch. Compared to what? I would not recommend it.

If possible, renting a home for a short time is always the best way to check out a neighborhood before making a long-term commitment.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Some people think that area of Fort Myers is safe. However, it's sort of like saying a greasy cheeseburger, fries, with a chocolate shake and a Devil Dog is a healthful lunch. Compared to what? I would not recommend it.

If possible, renting a home for a short time is always the best way to check out a neighborhood before making a long-term commitment.

exacty JustNancy, and they won't listen or don't want to listen to those who actually know the area.

All on has to do is drive around the area...that's it....one look and you're done.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:55 AM

132 posts, read 557,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I lived in Dean Park ten years ago and it was NOT gentrified. There wasn't even the beginnings of it. There was a bit of gentrification during the tail end of the housing boom - I had already moved away - and that was because the area was running out of affordable places to live. Still, there were folks that came in and started to restore some of the homes. Unfortunately, the bust cut all of that short. Most of those homes - bought at very, very high prices and with restoration loans to boot - fell into foreclosure. The area is NOT gentrified.

With all due respect you sound like someone that hasn't been there in ten years and lives 800 miles away. I was there Saturday. IT IS gentrified and I didn't see any homes that looked abandoned or vacant in forclosure. If they are in forclosure it doesn't show because almost every house was neat and well kept. Does that sound like the hood?
I could find only two for sale signs and one for rent. Most of the homes have been beautifully restored and are well kept. I didn't count but I'd guess seventy percent and I didn't see any I would consider a dump.
The Palm Beach area is mostly rough and some of it is the "hood" as some like to call it. Dean Park happens to be a very nice little (gentrified)neighborhood though that has the misfortune of being surrounded by that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area