Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 07:03 PM

81 posts, read 125,371 times

Advertisements

Or at least, it looks like a lizard. Just spent a lovely week on Pine Island renting a house with a pool under a lanai. Had a little guest in the bedroom that wouldn't leave and was impossible to catch. Also, its friends and family were hanging out all over the screen of the lanai..

What the heck are they?!?!?! Geckos? Lizards?

Harmless and almost cute, but they were every where...

At least it wasn't snowing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 09:07 PM

146 posts, read 375,482 times
LOL! If it was shorter than 8in, it was probably a gecko. If it was longer than that, probably an alligator or a Nile Monitor Lizard.

My little grandaughter catches & plays with geckos when she visits - she thinks it's a hoot when she looks at them face:face & they stick their tongues out at her!

I have a family of them that hang out in a short cabbage palm. They love plantain chips!

Old 05-01-2011, 06:20 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,875,268 times
Awww...don't even worry.They are cute little buggers and don't carry any diseases or anything harmful.The kids have fun chasing them around.
Until the cold spell hit last year,we had 4 foot iguana's crapping on our sea wall...not a big problem,just hosed it off.Monitors can be a problem because they like to snack on small dogs and cats but they are mostly in areas that are not heavily populated.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:34 AM

Maybe I should have asked them to give me an insurance quote!!!

Old 05-01-2011, 06:45 AM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,708 times
They're not geckos, they're anoles and they are harmless. They eat bugs. Hope you had a great visit!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:08 PM

Ah ha...Anoles. I knew they didn't have Australian accents! And any creature that eats bugs is a friend of mine!
Our visit was awesome. Stayed for a week on Pine, just around the corner from the marina. Captain Tom took us out twice on the Tom Thumb, I got a round of golf in, looked at a couple houses, brought fresh seafood, veggies and fruit in Matlacha and grilled a lot, took many walks and did many laps in the pool... was very difficult to come back home where there was still snow on the ground. I'm trying very hard to develop a business plan for what I think will be a viable business down there and then will prepare to relocate. Doesn't seem like it'll happen soon enough!
Did I mention I really like Pine Island? We've been going to Sanibel once or twice a year for almost 14 years, and discovered Pine 2 years ago. Did a weekend at Tarpon Lodge last year (and hit Mango Mania ) and opted for a house rental this year...loved it!

Old 05-01-2011, 06:38 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Great thread. I love those little anoles. If they are in your house they may not make it back out. That use to freak me out so I would try to catch them to let them out. Occasionally I would break their tail. But it grows back.

Snow still on the ground...my mother is 76 and swears this is the worst winter for the northeast in memory. I think she's right.

Happy house hunting!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:49 AM

I'm pretty sure I'd be a little freaked out if I broke a tail off!!!!

Old 05-02-2011, 02:19 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
I always call them geckos too. A home inspector told me the other day that they aren't called geckos. They just eat bugs and are harmless. Kids love to chase and play with them as well as my dog. She spends hours and hours watching for them to climb the outside wall and then she chases them. It is her little game. She catches them sometimes and plays with them in the yard. I think they are cute. But at certain times of the year them seem to be everywhere.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:33 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
So nice to hear you were able to enjoy one of Florida's favorite small residents. They are very beneficial to our ecosystem, since they eat lots and lots of insects. Like others have written, most lizards you see running around SWFL are harmless. However, sometimes they chirp at night which can drive you crazy. They'll do everything to avoid contact with humans, so there's nothing to be afraid of if one is in your home.

The best way to remove a gecko or anole from a house is to coax it into a box, usually with a broom. Spraying cold water on it won't hurt it at all, but it will disorient the anole and it will stop running. Then you just put it in the box and place it outside. The reason the tail breaks off is because it's a defense mechanism to release itself from a predator trying to eat it and it takes about 2 months for a new one to generate.

However, if they're already running around outdoors, please teach children to be fascinated with our amazing Florida wildlife by watching them in their natural state. The stress many animals experience when people try to "play" with wildlife is often harmful and cruel. The word play suggests that both parties are having fun. Geckos and anoles freak out when people & pets chase & catch them, the same way you'd be if a grizzly was playing with you.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area