Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 04:22 PM

28 posts, read 49,443 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are considering chain link fence for backyard in Cape Coral area. Any suggestions for installers? I know that we will need a permit and have a survey to ensure fence placement. Any suggestions as to why/why not on using chain link fence?

Thanks so much for any info.
SandyG1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 05:29 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,349,271 times
Chain link offers no privacy for one thing, but you can plant stuff. They are easy to climb, those four foot one's are useless. The one good thing I can think of about chain link is that in a storm situation it probably performs best because it lets the wind trough. The others may just become debris that could cause damage to your home.

Wood is high maintenance, but offer privacy and is harder to climb.What ever you do never ever paint the wood fence, good quality stain/sealer is the best way to go and it is very important that you do both side or you will get warping of the boards. Also make sure to get a good coat on the exposed end grain.

Plastic is ugly and reflects the sun in the summer, which creates a hot zone one of my neighbor has that problem the fence for the guy next door to him really heats up his yard on that side, that is something I would have not though possible but it is doing it. Plastic is also hard to climb.

Cost I have no idea which would be best.
All said and done I would go with the chain link and plant Areca palms or something like that for privacy.
And a good size dog will keep the riffraff out.

Last edited by equalrightsforeveryone; 12-19-2012 at 05:38 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 09:20 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
I once had a chain link and put Perma-Hedge in it. It created instant privacy and looked nice. No maintenance either.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:06 AM

158 posts, read 381,593 times
I've had both chain link and wood fences during cat 2 hurricanes and the chain link came through without a problem, but the wood fence had to be replaced. Also, a wood fence requires a lot of maintenance to keep it looking good--it takes a beating from the sun and will need to be stained or painted every few years.

I think it boils down to what you want--complete privacy will only be achieved with a wood fence but you lose any view you may have. If you just need an enclosed area for a dog run or some other purpose then a chain link fence should work fine. I've seen a few green and black vinyl coated chain link fences in Cape Coral that look pretty good--the green blends in especially good with the grass and landscaping. However, I don't know how well they stand up over time.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:04 AM

53 posts, read 120,381 times
Chain link! No maintanance! I bought the black vinyl, 15 yrs warranty. By then I wont like it any more. lol. As for those wooden fences, people jumped the 6 ft fence and tried to break in at my house. they met my dog. So it really doesn't matter what you get, buy what you visually like. Plant some bushes, with thorns. I used Globel Fence. Happy with their work. Right now it's a bout a 2 week approv. period.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:27 AM

82 posts, read 153,658 times
I used Smith Fence for the chain link fence I installed in Fort Myers in 2008. I highly recommend them. They were very professional, and their prices were competitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area