Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:44 PM

115 posts, read 249,127 times

Advertisements

Husband is doing the house-buying search with me left behind to pack up the house. We are looking in Bonita Springs as our 1st choice. He works in Naples.

Today he said he looked at a house in San Carlos Park, Fort Myers.

I must have an area that is safe. I will be out walking our dogs, etc. I looked at the police reports for that street, and to me, it doesn't look too good. The house is in the 18000 block of Dogwood.

Anyone familar with the area here to help? Thanks............................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 07:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Tons of info on SCP on this forum. I use to live there and have relatives that live there now.

It's always been a fairly lower-middle class area with a small amount of middle-class people there, mostly in Three Oaks. Since the crash the area has taken an expected nose-dive. It's not Lehigh Acres, by any means, but it's not the best place in Lee County, either. There's a reason that the prices of homes are so low. Values are about where they were back in the 80s and 90s.

However, I have to say that if you've looked at the crime map and have reservations you should have answered your own question.

Stick to Bonita Springs. It's going to make life easier for the commute and their are better areas there, although not stellar. If you want all-around better areas, stick with Naples or Estero. Although there is a very small amount of less-than-great neighborhoods, the majority of the area is very nice.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:59 PM

515 posts, read 1,590,241 times
Your gonna have crime where ever you purchase. Some area's are just prone to a little more than others. Good friends of ours moved out of the Park area after maybe 10 years and into a gulf and tennis, gated community, The Legends, and were broke into within 2 weeks. You just never know..... Bonita Springs has a lot of bad area's, low income, trailers etc... so just ask a lot of questions and drive around the streets at different times on multiple days. See how the neighbors are on the weekends...Don't forget to ask about deed restrictions and inquire to the neighbors if they are enforced. You can ask your realtor to see a copy before buying also. I own two houses in "the park" great investments, but I don't live there. No restrictions there so you can have a slum right next to a million dollar looking home. You should rent there first, look around for a year before committing. That's what we did. There are sections of the park that are nice, look for them. Really low prices there now. I have friends who live in old Naples. They say their cars get broken into on a regular basis.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:24 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,195 times
I live in SCP, believe I'm middle class (am a teacher and hubby has government job) and we don't live in the 3-Oaks section. SCP is strange- it has some beautiful streets, and then some really run-down seedy streets. Just pick a street, and try to make sure the street behind you is good too. I wouldn't stay out of there- housing prices are great now, I would just look at the street I'm going to buy on, and my neighbors.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:51 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times
Bonita..... Stick with Bonita. I live in Estero(great place), and took my first ride through San Carlos a month ago... I have lived in SWFL for 6 years. What a dump... I am sure there might be a street or 2 that is ok, but from what I saw, no thanks. Even Bonita has some pretty crappy areas(old Bonita). Ever check into Estero?

Old 04-06-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
I live in SCP, believe I'm middle class (am a teacher and hubby has government job) and we don't live in the 3-Oaks section. SCP is strange- it has some beautiful streets, and then some really run-down seedy streets. Just pick a street, and try to make sure the street behind you is good too. I wouldn't stay out of there- housing prices are great now, I would just look at the street I'm going to buy on, and my neighbors.
My MIL lived there for years, until she moved out a couple of years ago. It's always been a spotty area. I warned you about that when you bought in there a few years ago. Now, with the economy being what it is, it has really gone downhill. I think you made a big mistake by buying there.

Want cheap prices but a better area? Go to Cape Coral. That's where my MIL went.

Need to be closer to Naples? Find a deal in Estero, Bonita or even Naples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Bonita..... Stick with Bonita. I live in Estero(great place), and took my first ride through San Carlos a month ago... I have lived in SWFL for 6 years. What a dump... I am sure there might be a street or 2 that is ok, but from what I saw, no thanks. Even Bonita has some pretty crappy areas(old Bonita). Ever check into Estero?
Bonita definitely has some bad areas. Estero has a very, very small area that isn't great, but Bonita has a lot of bad areas, even away from old Bonita.

But yes, SCP has always had the reputation as being dumpy and it has steadily been getting worse. There are deals in other places.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:49 PM

49 posts, read 227,552 times
I prefer San Carlos over Bonita Springs...San Carlos is where Gulf Coast Town Center and Gulf Coast University are located. There's everything you need at Gulf Coast Town Center. Supermarket, restaurants, gym etc... The neighborhoods are decent and pretty safe! It's also close to Estero, a nice little town with a mall. I've never heard of any crime taking place in San Carlos. Hiknapster advised you to go to Cape Coral...There's nothing going on there so you'll have to drive a lot, traffic sucks during rush hour to Fort Myers and you have to pay $2 toll.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:55 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
There's plenty of shopping and restaurants in Cape Coral and a few bars. For nightclubs you would have to go to Fort Myers downtown. But I doubt you would go during rush hours.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:37 PM

Florida Gulf Coast University is considered to be in Estero.

Gulf Coast Town Center is on the other side of I-75, just like FGCU. It is not considered part of San Carlos Park which is WEST of I-75.

And even if there was a nice shopping center right in the middle of the park - which there isn't - it wouldn't change the fact that the area has gone from white trash/middle class to straight downhill. The crash has not been kind to the park.

Never heard of crime in the park? That's an egregious, well, you know what.

There are two bars in the park. Both are dumps and frequented by the locals. It's just not a very nice area.

Cape Coral is much nicer. Anyone complaining about having to pay a toll - you can go through North Fort Myers if need be - has issues. I've always felt that way. No offense but I've always found that anyone that said they wouldn't live in Cape Coral because of the toll was usually better off in the park or Lehigh. Locals will know exactly what I mean.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:21 AM

46 posts, read 243,136 times
As usual I am so sick of the blanket trashing of SCP. It encompasses a huge area and there are some very nice streets to live on. I have lived here just over 2 years and my street is so peaceful and quiet and I have wonderful middle class hard working neighbors. Yes, there are areas that are run down and have some riff raff but you can have that in any neighborhood. There is occasional crime in SCP as there is everywhere, even in your gated communities.

I personally would not live off of San Carlos Blvd or Constitution Blvd but there are a lot of very nice streets off of Lee heading towards Alico.

Good luck in your search but if husband is commuting to Naples, could be a bit of a trek depending on how far down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area