Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,050 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I know there are plenty of threads on here about relocating, but I am new to the site and am having trouble looking for the exact answers.

My husband and I currently live in CT and are thinking of possibly relocating to Florida in about a year or two. We are definitely looking to get out of the snow and into the sun. We are definitely beach people and would prefer to live somewhere near the water. Also, my family has slowly started moving down there (my two younger brothers moved about 1.5 years ago and my parents are moving after my father retires come January 2014). My brothers currently live in Orlando but it's not somewhere my husband and I are looking to live. Orlando is a little too touristy and busy for us. With that being said, we are both new lawyers. We just graduated a year ago. It is important that we live somewhere where we will be able to practice law. I would never move down to FL without first taking the bar and then securing jobs. However, I've done a couple of searches for "attorney jobs" in the Ft. Myers/CC area and have come up pretty blank. I was hoping that someone might have a little insight into how likely it is for attorneys to find jobs in this area.

Thanks so much for all of your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 12:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
The place is lousy with snowbirds, many of them that live on the cheap. The area has mostly service jobs that cater to these folks. I lived in Orlando and then in the Fort Myers/Naples area when I was in my 30s and 40s. I would seriously look at a place that might have a younger clientele with varied jobs, Tampa perhaps.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 PM

158 posts, read 381,782 times
There seems to be no shortage of lawyers in this area--at least looking at all the advertising I see on TV. I imagine there is some site that you can check to see the percentage of attorneys to population to give you a better idea if the area is saturated or not.

I think your possibility of finding a job might depend on your specialties. If you specialize in medical mal practice or estate planning you might have a chance here due to the advanced age of the population; however, if it is corporate law you will probably be out of luck since this isn't a commercial area.

Why don't you just skip looking for a job and start your own law firm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area