Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:11 AM

544 posts, read 1,439,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Nice link for the tax information.

Thanks!
It's also 4 years behind. What I'm talking about are the fees disguised as taxes and the ones that are attached to everything. For instance the tax on my Dish bill in Denver per month was $1.91, here it's $12.49. They're about to add on a 7% tax to the LCEC bills starting October 1st, which apparently has taken everyone by surprise. Colorado would require the taxpayers to vote on such a thing. Vehicle registrations in Colorado are based on the weight and cost of the car, here they also charge you a $225.00 "fee" just to register the car. The snowbirds never pay it because they don't live here full time.

I'm figuring out that I need to start calculating all of my receipts for everything with a tax to take off my federal taxes next year. State taxes are deductible as well as sales tax so I'll have to put everything in a spreadsheet once a month to track it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 06:14 AM

Here's the 2013 Sales Tax Rates for states.

State and Local Sales Tax Rates Midyear 2013 | Tax Foundation

Old 09-20-2013, 11:52 AM

518 posts, read 1,231,439 times
One way or another they tax you to death and it is only going to get a lot worse. It is hard to believe they are all broke all the time with the huge amounts of money they have collected in the last 15 years. My tax rate in Colorado is 3.9 and I drive older cars to keep plates at lower rates. Florida hits you when you first bring a car there. But after that it is lower for the plates. Insurance is much higher in Florida. Wait till new flood insurance rates kick in. House car or what ever are all way higher. Property taxes are sky high considering not to long ago they were the cheapest in the country. My house in Colorado taxes are 800.00 year 2000 sq ft and my Florida house is 1700 for me homesteaded for a 1350 sq ft on the water. They are going after all the angles to collect tax without having a vote from the people instead of cutting spending. The way I see it you pay to play. Florida is again getting very expensive.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:05 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekocat View Post
Here's the 2013 Sales Tax Rates for states.

State and Local Sales Tax Rates Midyear 2013 | Tax Foundation
Interesting. Who would have thought that Tennessee had the highest sales tax in the country!

I think you are wrong about sales tax being deductible on your federal return.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:20 AM

How to Deduct Sales Taxes From a Federal Return | eHow

Old 09-21-2013, 09:00 AM

Location: Long Island, NY & The Somerset at the Plantation, Fort Myers, FL
95 posts, read 213,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
They take all taxes in a state into consideration, even taxes for things like "motor vehicles, hunting and fishing,occupational, corporate, and others."

New York is first in tax burden for a reason.

Hik, brilliant and eloquent comments, and this coming from someone who "agrees to disagree" with you most times, as you know...

Living in New York state most of my life, and in Nassau county which ranks second in the nation with the highest property taxes, (Westchester county NY is the highest) Florida is a bargain. Taxes on my house in Fort Myers aren't cheap - Not only do I pay Lee county taxes, but I pay City of Fort Myers taxes as well, and I also pay a CDD surcharge for 10 years ( Now 7 years left). But at least I can see where the money is being spent - Upgrades and improvements all around our immediate area, and to a lesser extent and much further away, the renovations to the Fort Myers Downtown. In NY all you see is the money going out and major roadways torn up and then rebuilt, over and over again, for YEARS. Tolls to cross a waterway, $15. Constant Long Island railroad hikes in fares... All these are taxes which don't get counted when comparing states tax burdens.

Last edited by prairie360; 09-21-2013 at 09:22 AM..

Old 09-21-2013, 11:38 AM

Location: Long Island, NY & The Somerset at the Plantation, Fort Myers, FL
95 posts, read 213,942 times
It's refreshing to see Florida Governor Scott and Texas Governor Perry have the audacity to come into the Great State of New York and actively campaign to encourage businesses to move to their respective states. I just love the look on His Honor, Governor Andrew Cuomo's face.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:51 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekocat View Post
I'm glad you posted this. It forced me to do more research on it.
Sales Tax Deduction Calculator
If you file a Form 1040, and itemize deductions on Schedule A, you have the option of claiming either state and local income taxes or state and local sales taxes. (You can’t claim both.) This is a non issue in Florida where there is no state income tax. I knew there was a reason I never deducted sales tax in NY. The income taxes were so high.

Sales Tax Deduction - Federal Tax Deduction for Sales Taxes
The sales tax deduction was again allowed from 2005 to 2013. It ends in 2013 unless congress extends it.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:23 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
well even if the taxes don't get ya the crime will. There have been at least what 5 murders in Ft. Myers this week.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:21 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
well even if the taxes don't get ya the crime will. There have been at least what 5 murders in Ft. Myers this week.
Yuh....getting scary. Think I'll move to a city with very strict gun laws, where it's safe.......like Detroit or Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area