Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:16 AM

47 posts, read 147,101 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience launching their boat from the NW Cape (just north of Pine Island Rd).
How easy or difficult is it to navigate from the Burnt Store Boat Ramp just north of Pine Island Rd to somewhere you can open up the throttle? Do you typically head north, or south once in matlacha pass?

I'm honestly eyeballing some investment property there and see the properties are being marketed as Gulf Access, and I'm wondering "True...but how much trouble is it to access that Gulf?"
TIA,
PCW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 06:44 PM

297 posts, read 509,511 times
We have a house on the NW spreader around Embers Parkway and run it out to Matlacha. From Burnt store boat ramp its about a 15-20 min. idle out to where you can get on plane. Their is one bridge to go under. My Center Console is 8.5 feet tall at the highest point, and goes under the bridge easily. The water is simple to navigate, you just have to pay attention and not get out of the channel. The current runs pretty fast right around the boat ramp at D and D Tackle out until the channel gets wide again.
I mostly go north out to Charlotte Harbor, Boca Grande, Cayo Costa, Cabbage Key, ect. but have gone south also. The southern direction can be a bit tricky, the markers snake around to avoid different shoals. Their is little room for error down here. The channels are well marked but you must run the markers, Sea Tow, and Tow Boats US, do a very healthy business around this area.
One last thing, you said investment property, google Ceitus Boat Lift. Their used to be a dam across the NW spreader that needed a lift to get around it. (Its a long story) If this lift is ever put back into use, it could have a direct impact on your property value if you are north of this. I'm betting they never put it back........but just an FYI. Good Luck.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:24 PM

199 posts, read 567,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beak Boater View Post
We have a house on the NW spreader around Embers Parkway and run it out to Matlacha. From Burnt store boat ramp its about a 15-20 min. idle out to where you can get on plane. Their is one bridge to go under. My Center Console is 8.5 feet tall at the highest point, and goes under the bridge easily. The water is simple to navigate, you just have to pay attention and not get out of the channel. The current runs pretty fast right around the boat ramp at D and D Tackle out until the channel gets wide again.
I mostly go north out to Charlotte Harbor, Boca Grande, Cayo Costa, Cabbage Key, ect. but have gone south also. The southern direction can be a bit tricky, the markers snake around to avoid different shoals. Their is little room for error down here. The channels are well marked but you must run the markers, Sea Tow, and Tow Boats US, do a very healthy business around this area.
One last thing, you said investment property, google Ceitus Boat Lift. Their used to be a dam across the NW spreader that needed a lift to get around it. (Its a long story) If this lift is ever put back into use, it could have a direct impact on your property value if you are north of this. I'm betting they never put it back........but just an FYI. Good Luck.
Wow, that's all great first-hand knowledge, Beak Boater, thanks for sharing! We will be bringing our boat down from VA next spring and are looking forward to boating in this area. We live in SE Cape Coral on a salt-water canal that empties into the Caloosahatchee, but we will definitely be boating quite a bit through Matlacha Pass between Punta Rassa and the Matlacha Bridge. Great stuff - thanks!

Old 11-12-2013, 07:26 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
I agree with most of what beak boater said. I have a property that is in the SW but uses the NW spreader. I have launched from the burnt store ramp plenty of times. It is an excellent launch ramp with good parking. It is 20 mins from there to matlacha bridge where you can start going 25 miles an hour in the channel. I also have a center console with T-tops and have no problem going under the bridge.

As far as the ceitus lift going back in.... I would say there is about a zero percent chance of that happening. I had left a message for the SWFL director of the DEP outlining an idea I had. I was surprised that he called me back and wanted to talk more in depth about it. We talked for about a half hour and it is very clear the DEP will not be entertaining any structure being built there.

I almost always go north to Cayo Costa, cabbage key, boca grande. North Captiva. depending on the conditions of the water (rough vs smooth) I can usually be on Cayo Costa in 45 mins.

I have posted this video before but this is from the burnt store ramp through matlacha pass

cape coral boating fishing.avi - YouTube

Old 11-12-2013, 08:13 AM

Nhkev......We rolled the dice banking on the fact the lift would never be put back, I know you have been one behind the scenes that has been pushing the importance of never installing that lift again. Thank you for your work.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:41 PM

47 posts, read 147,101 times
Thank you all for your responses

Old 11-13-2013, 06:27 PM

Here is a website that can help a little Pages - Aids_to_Navigation

Old 11-14-2013, 11:07 AM

21 posts, read 52,551 times
Ltspla

There is plenty of gulf access homes for boating in the area; all with different price ranges.

LT...military, police or fire?

Last edited by FL_AVI8TR; 11-14-2013 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-14-2013, 02:24 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
personally I wouldn't want anything above Tropicana. anything more than a half hour at idle speed gets too long. Especially during the summer it can be very hot moving slow, and then if a pop up thunder storm comes in there's no getting home quick.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:20 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
My concerns about that area are that you will need to pay the assessments, put in a seawall and get hit by the new flood insurance rates. Then you may be living near a lot of construction over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area