Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 05:43 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

The best way to protect your dog and your child is to use caution.
Don't let them outside alone, even for a moment.
Keep the dog contained and in control while you are outside using either a leash or a hook on their collar so they can get around the yard but not jump the fence or run amok.
Teach your child boundaries in regards to your home inside and out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 06:03 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The best way to protect your dog and your child is to use caution.
Don't let them outside alone, even for a moment.
Keep the dog contained and in control while you are outside using either a leash or a hook on their collar so they can get around the yard but not jump the fence or run amok.
Teach your child boundaries in regards to your home inside and out.

So you would put a large water dog, a Lab, on a tether/chain helplessly out in a yard on a canal. ??
Are you serious !

Old 05-29-2014, 06:12 AM

184 posts, read 234,857 times
I think this is a hot topic. I think it's even funnier that it got 21 replies and my question about CC schools, which I feel is very important, got 6.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:24 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
We've lived in two houses on the water in the Cape, and lots of people have kids and pets that also live on the water here. You do have to be VERY careful every second of the day with children and, unfortunately, they do slip out and fall into pools and canals frequently. There was just a drowning of (I think) 2 kids recently.

Even your dog should not be permitted to go outside without a leash, unless your yard is fully fenced including the seawall area. Seawalls are not like sandy beaches, where the pet can get back out of the water easily, and the barnacles will cut the dog as he tries to climb back up.

And yes, there are alligators in the canals of CC. We had a huge one that lived right beside our boat and we were very careful when we went down to board it, especially at night. Gators consider dogs and small children a snack, so you want to be always on the lookout. Not all canals have them, but lots do, same with lakes.

Don

Old 05-29-2014, 06:52 AM

13 posts, read 33,446 times
Ok, so I should not have used the words yikes, scared or nervous. But let's face it, moving your family across the country is altogether scary and the water was one big factor I have been thinking about.

Sorry but the posts saying never ever ever live on a canal with kids and a dog or that a gator will go over a seawall to snatch them is a little over the top.

We have and will continue to do everything we can to protect our daughter and dog. I totally understand the dangers of water for children, whether that be a pool or any other body of water. Our daughter has been in swim lessons since she was 6 months old and is an amazing swimmer, yet I would never ever let her out of my sight around water.

And I agree Cynthia, I also posted about schools and got few responses, didn't intend this to be a hot topic

Old 05-29-2014, 06:54 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Put the fence up.
But still keep your guard up.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:03 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie10 View Post
We will most likely be moving to Cape Coral in the Fall and will have a home on a canal. We have a 3 year old daughter and a dog that is obsessed with swimming!

I know many many people live on canals that have kids and dogs, but it scares me! Of course we will have special locks on the lanai and never let our daughter out of our sight, but just the thought of playing in a small backyard with a canal right there…yikes!

Then there's our crazy lab! We live in Ohio now and have an invisible fence. She's great with that and not the type of dog to ever run off. But, she LOVES water.

Based on what I've read, you can put up a physical fence as long as it's under 3 ft high. Obviously, we would prefer not to fence our yard, but I'm just so nervous.

Do you think that most people with dogs that live on a canal always take them out on a leash? I'm thinking if a dog grows up on canal they just learn never to jump in that water, but coming from Ohio where she jumps in any puddle, lake or creek she sees….she might have a hard time understanding that concept.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Your fears are justified. Florida leads the nation in accidental drownings of children and a man recently died while trying to save his dog from drowning. Our news often features such heart breaking and tragic stories.

I would not buy a house on a canal if I had a dog obsessed with swimming and was raising children because I'd have the same fears and concerns that you do, but that choice is yours. I understand the appeal of moving to Florida, living on the water, getting a boat, and living your dream, but I also know bad things happen to good people, there are more accidental drownings in Florida than any other state, and, for me, it wouldn't be worth the risk. You could make this work, but you will have to be hyper vigilant and aware. I wish you well.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:30 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
I have lived on a salt water canal for 10 years and have never seen an alligator.They cannot climb the sea walls to make nests and spawn.Iguana's, otters,maybe an occasional manatee,but no gators.
If you listen to all the naysayers,you'd never leave the house.
I would install a fence to enclose the back yard to the sea wall,teach your child to swim as soon as possible, take normal precautions and then enjoy your boat,pool and the beautiful SW Florida weather.
BTW,most alarm systems will beep every time a door or window is opened which is an extra safety measure when kids are around.....that and an inexpensive floating pool alarm should give you peace of mind.
Most streets on canels end in cul de sacs and are very safe.......I'd go for it.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:31 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
You are not taking the alligator situation seriously enough. Coming from Ohio, especially if you have lived there all of your life and had no reason to think about gators in FL, your fears are warranted. You asked for "any advice will be appreciated". People who live near or on the water in FL have experienced what they are telling you, and are telling you for your own good.

If you don't think an alligator can jump, or that they are not sneaky creatures who have been found in people's yards, you need to do some serious research, and believe it. If you have an electric fence in Ohio for your dog, fine. It will keep your dog from going over the buzz line. But it will not keep anything or any other animal from coming IN. It is almost impossible to keep a Labrador Retriever away from water. They are bred with double coats of hair which is water repellant; they are water hunters.

And there have been several instances of gators jumping over walls to lay in the sun or to chase prey.
They can jump realistically up to their length in feet by literally standing on their tail. So an 8 ft. gator will come out of the water approx. up to 8 or 9 feet, to get what they want. Why live on a canal and have to barricade your property with a fence, especially if it can only be 3 ft. high. One last word on gators ... they are stealthy and can run faster than you could imagine. I had some photos of gators laying under our tree outside the lanai, but can't find them right now. Here are photos from an online site showing how they can jump. I'm not saying they will jump over the fence, they won't. But a big guy could knock the fence over.

You asked for the advice, we are not here to scare you; you are getting the advice you requested. Use an abundance of caution if living on a canal is that important to you, but you already know that from your original post.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...ators+can+jump

Old 05-29-2014, 09:16 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
"Because they have a low tolerance for salt, the majority of alligators inhabit freshwater. They can only handle being exposed to salt water for a small length of time"
Alligator Habitat | Where Do Alligators Live?
Worried about an alligator jumping out of a sea walled canal AND over a 3 foot fence? Lightning striking you in SW Florida is much more of a concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area