Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 06:36 AM

13 posts, read 33,446 times

Advertisements

We will most likely be moving to Cape Coral in the Fall and will have a home on a canal. We have a 3 year old daughter and a dog that is obsessed with swimming!

I know many many people live on canals that have kids and dogs, but it scares me! Of course we will have special locks on the lanai and never let our daughter out of our sight, but just the thought of playing in a small backyard with a canal right there…yikes!

Then there's our crazy lab! We live in Ohio now and have an invisible fence. She's great with that and not the type of dog to ever run off. But, she LOVES water.

Based on what I've read, you can put up a physical fence as long as it's under 3 ft high. Obviously, we would prefer not to fence our yard, but I'm just so nervous.

Do you think that most people with dogs that live on a canal always take them out on a leash? I'm thinking if a dog grows up on canal they just learn never to jump in that water, but coming from Ohio where she jumps in any puddle, lake or creek she sees….she might have a hard time understanding that concept.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 07:49 AM

I'm very new to this site so I'm not sure how everything works, but I received a comment via "reputation received" that said that I would need a physical fence to prevent an alligator from coming into our yard.

I should have mentioned that we plan on a saltwater canal that would have a seawall. I know that sometimes alligators are in the saltwater canals (I saw a couple in my grandparents canal years ago), but can they really get out of the water if there's a seawall in place????

Old 05-28-2014, 07:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Do you already own this home on the canal? if so sell it and buy something not on a canal.
If you are looking to buy then stay away from canal front properties..

Old 05-28-2014, 08:12 AM

No we don't already own a come on the canal but plan on buying one in the near future. Honestly, one of the primary reasons we want to move to the cape is to have a house on a canal with a boat and gulf access.

Just because we have a kid and a dog we should not even consider a canal home? That seems a little dramatic as I'm sure many many people have dogs and kids and live on a canal.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:50 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie10 View Post
No we don't already own a come on the canal but plan on buying one in the near future. Honestly, one of the primary reasons we want to move to the cape is to have a house on a canal with a boat and gulf access.

Just because we have a kid and a dog we should not even consider a canal home? That seems a little dramatic as I'm sure many many people have dogs and kids and live on a canal.

I know many many people live on canals that have kids and dogs, but it scares me! Of course we will have special locks on the lanai and never let our daughter out of our sight, but just the thought of playing in a small backyard with a canal right there…yikes!

^^^^^^^^ From your original post^^^^^^

That makes people think you have an issue because of toddler and dog and are responding don't live on canal then.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:02 AM

I would think anyone with kids and a dog would have some concerns with living on a canal. I guess I was hoping for some advice from people who are in that situation and what they've done to ease their concerns.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:11 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Gators can and will come out of the canals so living off water doesn't protect you, your dog or your child...what does protect all of you? Common sense! Put up a fence, don't let your dog roam free, keep an eye on the canal and whatever you do...never, ever, EVER feed a gator that is in your canal. In fact, don't feed any of the wildlife you see in your canal.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:12 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie10 View Post
I would think anyone with kids and a dog would have some concerns with living on a canal. I guess I was hoping for some advice from people who are in that situation and what they've done to ease their concerns.
I know when I was on vacation down there, there was a really nice house across the canal from the condo, those people had a dog but no kids, they had the yard around the canal fenced in, so dog could go out and they didn't have to worry about it jumping in the water.

You have a small child just use common sense, while you may not like the look of a fence until child is older it may be the best thing for your sense of well being. Will you have a pool too? if so that should be just as much of a concern with a small child as a canal

Old 05-28-2014, 10:55 AM

184 posts, read 234,857 times
Hi. We have friends that purchased a SW canal home years age, built on , had problems with their contractor and then lost the house to foreclosure. They now live off the canal but have saved very hard to purchase again next year on the canal. They have 2 boys and a dog . They never expressed any concern with the canal
Best wishes , I am keeping my eye on your posts

Old 05-28-2014, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I absolutely would feel better having a fence, most likely a nice aluminum fence. Based on my research you can have a fence along a canal but during all my "house hunting" I've only seen a couple houses that have a fence! Seems like with kids and dogs more people would have a fence along the canal! We have no problem installing one after moving in, just thought we would see more considering all the canals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area