Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 04:54 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How about what you're breathing in? What pets are breathing in?

Didn't you do another thread about how a guy in what looked like a hazmat suit was spraying with no advance warning to residents?

When I lived in FL I found a lot of people(and not just older people) who seems a little slow on the upswing, compared to other places. I always wondered if the constant spraying of lawns and homes for pests had something to do with it.

Are they telling you anything or saying at least stay inside? Maybe not run the A/C? I know that would be uncomfortable there, but what's the impact to you and others?
On the local station they just tell us to make sure we don't have any standing water..

They do not have a schedule , no code red call, nothing to tell residents when they are spraying. I kind of wonder too. there could be bad side effects for people , animals, and kill off the balance of nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living the Florida Dream View Post
It's not the symptoms that are the issue. It's the birth defects that are the issue. If this was not serious, it would be unlikely that the CDC would be taking it seriously.
How many other armchair MDs do we have here that will declare this a non-issue? Have you seen the babies with birth defects? Ask yourselves: ... Are you going to listen the CDC, or listen to someone from city-data who you never met?
How did they get here? These different mosquitoes.. They didn't fly over the ocean.. Are they in Texas? Do people bring them in ? Shipments.. wonder....

Old 09-09-2016, 06:07 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
How did they get here? These different mosquitoes.. They didn't fly over the ocean.. Are they in Texas? Do people bring them in ? Shipments.. wonder....
Wind bourne.

Many insects, and other things get to all kinds of places by hitching a ride on the wind.

Saharan dust makes it from Africa all the way to Florida at times during the summer.

Arachnids (spiders) and insects have inhabited the far flung islands in the Pacific, etc.

It's not so far from Puerto Rico to Miami, especially when they can hitch a ride on American Airlines.

Or, I suppose an infected arrival, can get bit by a local bug, starting an infected group of skeeters here.

They said on the local news that the spraying is being carried further inland on the sea breeze. That Naled is potent stuff. They reported an amount the size of a finger nail is enough to treat an acre area. I'm sure it's gotta be more than just skeeters and bees getting Naled (nailed) lately.

CN

Old 09-09-2016, 07:47 PM

I read about Naled.. and it doesn't sound like it should be used at all..

NALED Insecticide Fact Sheet

Old 09-09-2016, 09:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
When they sprayed my development/property in Naples (5 all travel related cases) in the middle of the day with a big truck/tank, I was not told to not go outside despite the fact that the man on the truck was wearing what amounted to a HazMat suit. I picked up my cats and ran inside and did not go back outside until a day later. The public has no say in the matter even on their own property.
I would be concerned as to why he's in Hazmat suit. Is one day enough? How about it coming in through the central air?

Quote:
On the local station they just tell us to make sure we don't have any standing water..

They do not have a schedule , no code red call, nothing to tell residents when they are spraying. I kind of wonder too. there could be bad side effects for people , animals, and kill off the balance of nature.
That is outrageous, but so FL.

In CA when they did the Malithion spraying due to the fruit fly in the late 80s, residents were notified in advance what areas were to be sprayed.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:39 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
I would be concerned as to why he's in Hazmat suit. Is one day enough? How about it coming in through the central air?

That is outrageous, but so FL.

In CA when they did the Malithion spraying due to the fruit fly in the late 80s, residents were notified in advance what areas were to be sprayed.
Yes, I forgot about the AC. in the late 90's in NY when we had that first West Nile outbreak in the US we were told when there was spraying, and to stay inside, shut windows, and turn off the AC. What was unsafe for the public 20 years ago, is perfectly safe today?

I read on the Naples Daily News that Collier will now only be spraying at 10 PM and not dusk. Why? They were spraying while the kids had their outdoor school sports games, and the parents (pregnant Moms?) complained. DUH? Of course, absolutely NOBODY will be outside at 10 PM?

Old 09-12-2016, 06:30 AM

27 posts, read 19,795 times
Quote:
My dad worked with HazMat for years. They wear the suits because they are working with and exposed to this stuff everyday. For us, it's an occasional maybe in terms of exposure. When I spray around my home with pesticide every 3 months, I do not wear a mask. If I were doing it everyday, I would be wearing a mask.

Regarding Central A/C, it's not pulling in outside air. Central A/C recirculates air through the home to cool it and dry it out. That fan outside is removing the heat from the coolant in the line then re-compressing it and sending it back to your condenser coil inside. It's a closed system. There is no air exchange.

Years ago in New England there was the big debate over the use of sprays for mosquitoes. The "ban all spraying" side won as they made the case that it would harm the birds. So instead, West Nile Virus ran unchecked and out of control and killed more birds than spraying ever would have. It's all a matter of weighing the differences. Whats the lesser of two evils? Someone on here made a point that they are seeing dead honey bees. Do we know with 100% certainty that spraying was the culprit? The bee keeper down the road from us is much more concerned with bee parasites than he is with spraying. He's in constant battle with bee parasites and he blames them for the mass decrease in honey bees over the last 25 years.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMike View Post
My dad worked with HazMat for years. They wear the suits because they are working with and exposed to this stuff everyday. For us, it's an occasional maybe in terms of exposure. When I spray around my home with pesticide every 3 months, I do not wear a mask. If I were doing it everyday, I would be wearing a mask.

Regarding Central A/C, it's not pulling in outside air. Central A/C recirculates air through the home to cool it and dry it out. That fan outside is removing the heat from the coolant in the line then re-compressing it and sending it back to your condenser coil inside. It's a closed system. There is no air exchange.

Years ago in New England there was the big debate over the use of sprays for mosquitoes. The "ban all spraying" side won as they made the case that it would harm the birds. So instead, West Nile Virus ran unchecked and out of control and killed more birds than spraying ever would have. It's all a matter of weighing the differences. Whats the lesser of two evils? Someone on here made a point that they are seeing dead honey bees. Do we know with 100% certainty that spraying was the culprit? The bee keeper down the road from us is much more concerned with bee parasites than he is with spraying. He's in constant battle with bee parasites and he blames them for the mass decrease in honey bees over the last 25 years.
I posted about the dead bees.. never saw dead bees before and they came down with a truck spraying.

Read the article . more dead bees. The article says they will be spraying on Friday night.. what time , I don't know.. many people are out on Friday night.

Zika spray Naled suspected of killing bees in Lee County - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Old 09-12-2016, 08:26 AM

27 posts, read 19,795 times
Quote:
I posted about the dead bees.. never saw dead bees before and they came down with a truck spraying.

Read the article . more dead bees. The article says they will be spraying on Friday night.. what time , I don't know.. many people are out on Friday night.

Zika spray Naled suspected of killing bees in Lee County - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida
Okay, a couple of excepts from that article...

"He feels the cause was mosquito spraying"

"While he can’t narrow down the exact reason, shortly after the spraying, thousands of his bees were dead."

Could it be the spray? Absolutely...on the face it makes sense, but it seems that the folks in the article are working on assumptions based on what they are observing at the time.

I cant imagine for a second that Lee County wants to be held responsible and eventually sued for exposing 100s or 1000s of people to a pesticide, but it wouldn't be the first time in history, and I'm not that naive, but I think more info would be needed before simply saying "the spray killed the bees"

Old 09-12-2016, 09:54 AM

331 posts, read 453,223 times
You guessed wrong. The spray is killing the bees and every other insect it lays upon. Next will be the birds and reptiles that eat these dead or dying insects.

And you believe your government "thinks" before it does something. Really! South Carolina is being sued by the bee keepers for spraying the same stuff. 2.5 million bees are their estimate in one county.

It's pesticides or being sued if Zika becomes an epidemic. Don't wait for those Washington politicians to help you out. And wait and see if there is lower crop yields this season. That'll be the next effect of the spraying.
Collier has a site that shows where they will be spraying by date, I wonder why or if Lee has a similar site.

Use some bug spray folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area