Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 09:21 PM

19 posts, read 24,284 times

Advertisements

I get what you mean about keeping in mind about future utilities that will be added later and having to pay for them. I just need to buy a house that already has that done. It surprises me that this area doesn't have the water/sewer in before the developments start. And I was really surprised with the lack of sidewalks. I kind of miss that. But I don't miss snow. This has been the best winter I ever had. Tomorrow headed to Englewood beach Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 09:40 PM

180 posts, read 277,234 times
Our realtor told us that generally homes west of chiquita, south of cape coral parkway, and eat of del prado were flood zones. Use that as a guideline. But even if you are in a flood zone, if the house is built up appropriately, that house may have cheap insurance. One house could have much cheaper insurance than the one right next to it because it is higher.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:13 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinewi View Post
Our realtor told us that generally homes west of chiquita, south of cape coral parkway, and eat of del prado were flood zones. Use that as a guideline. But even if you are in a flood zone, if the house is built up appropriately, that house may have cheap insurance. One house could have much cheaper insurance than the one right next to it because it is higher.
Always check FEMA maps https://msc.fema.gov/portal it will tell you if you are in a flood zone that needs flood insurance or not. I am in North Fort Myers about a mile from the river and I do not need it. I did look at a property that did need it, but it was also not in good shape anyway.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:11 PM

179 posts, read 347,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Cape Coral has the 2nd highest population in Florida (after Jacksonville).
chiluvr1228 -

You might be mixing it up with land area or something, but Cape Coral is eleventh (11th) in population. Here are the top 10 plus #11 Cape Coral from the 2010 census. The population has gone up since 2010, but it certainly didn't pass #2 Miami's roughly 400,000 population to take the second place spot.

Jacksonville city
Miami city
Tampa city
St. Petersburg city
Orlando city
Hialeah city
224,669]
Tallahassee city
Fort Lauderdale city
Port St. Lucie city
Pembroke Pines city
Cape Coral city

Old 01-25-2017, 01:23 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
This is a crime map of Cape Coral. I live in the NE section above Kismet and no crime reported here.

I am in a super quiet area with no traffic . We walk our dogs , people strolling around for exercise and kids playing.

The map shows crime in all sections of the Cape but it is low compared to the rest of the country.

https://www.capecops.com/crime-map

Old 01-25-2017, 09:09 PM

19 posts, read 24,284 times
Thanks for the map. 197 crimes in 2 weeks if I read that right. That seem kind of high but I know there is a high population. Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to worry about that? I think my wife and I are going to drive down there next week and look around. I'm not buying anywhere till it feels right. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:40 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,875,268 times
Cape Coral one of the safest cities in Florida.Most crimes are either property crimes or crimes against people that are known to each other.
Violent crimes against strangers are almost unheard of.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:28 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living the Florida Dream View Post
chiluvr1228 -

You might be mixing it up with land area or something, but Cape Coral is eleventh (11th) in population. Here are the top 10 plus #11 Cape Coral from the 2010 census. The population has gone up since 2010, but it certainly didn't pass #2 Miami's roughly 400,000 population to take the second place spot.

Jacksonville city
Miami city
Tampa city
St. Petersburg city
Orlando city
Hialeah city
224,669]
Tallahassee city
Fort Lauderdale city
Port St. Lucie city
Pembroke Pines city
Cape Coral city

Yes you are right! It is the 2nd largest city as far as land, not population. Thanks for the clarification. :-)

Old 01-26-2017, 05:49 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,583 times
We looked at North Port, Port Charlotte and Cape C and ended up in the Englewood/ Rotonda area. HOA lite, no well or septic, near the beach, Intracoastal for boating and fishing, Boca Grande, and PC for big box stores and the mall. This area is off the beaten path so it has a more laid back feel to it. Airports to the north & south are a little over an hour.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:37 PM

11 posts, read 7,802 times
Living the dream - thanks for clearing that population stat up. lol

Crime in the city is the petty stuff. The MAJOR stuff is pretty rare here. Each area of the city offers something for everyone. The NE is a little more commercially inclined, with some serious projects coming in around the VA Hospital. Stellar stuff. The NE has more zoning for multi family, and mixed use. There are some great neighborhoods, and there are some that lean heavily towards rentals. Up in the FAR NE, there is Gator Circle. Great developing area. New schools in the area. and it is residential. MOST of the NE is still well/septic. BUT..that will change in the years to come.

Now, about the Utilities Expansion Project (UEP) Pretty much everything south of Pine Island Rd is hooked in. Areas further west will have balances due. PLease go to North 2 Utilities Extension DesignThe City of Cape Coral has contracted with Greeley amp Hansen to design the potable water, sanitary sewer, nbsp dual water irrigation , stormdrain pipes and road reconstruction in the area known as North 2 and you will see the current plan. The very lower part of the NW city (some streets still have SW ) is under the next round of UEP slated to start this spring. The upper NW Cape is not slated for several years, and is not even on the schedule yet.

As mentioned above, there are a few gate communities that have HOA's, but the city does not. However, we are deed restricted in a few ways, so it behooves you to look at the link above and navigate around.

The Cape is playing catch up, a little. Our city gov't was mismanaging the city in the early 2000's, and then the recession hit. We got spanked! Our current administration has really worked hard at righting the ship. We still have some ways to go in terms of roads (the NE has deplorable roads). Infrastructure is improving.

Cape Coral is on several of Forbes, NYT, WSJ, Money Mag, and other credible publications for a city to keep your eye on. AMong some of the attributes: One of the best cities to retire to, in top 10 for job growth nationwide, and second strongest and STABLE real estate market in the country.

Happy to help.

-Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area