Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2019, 06:04 AM

10 posts, read 10,527 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Ft. Myers, FL, and after hunting online for apartments to visit, as we will be on vacation there, I would like some feedback from those who live in the area.

As with any city, there are good and bad areas. Ohio is no different, so when one considers moving to an area, some homework is needed to determine the safety factor.

Can anyone tell me what the neighborhood along Colonial Boulevard (Cobblestone on the Lake) is like? Also, the area near Bayside Pointe (Bay Breeze) and also, Sonoma Drive (The Palms of Monterrey)?

How hard hit by hurricanes are these areas? They look nice, but I know nothing of what they suffer. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 01:28 PM

390 posts, read 396,922 times
Don't know anything about those specific complexes but can comment on the overall areas for some. Not familiar enough with the Bay Breeze location to comment but I think it's probably fine. Cobblestone on the Lake area is fine, too, as is The Palms of Monterrey area. As you mentioned, all cities have bad areas but those 3 mentioned are not in what I would call the "bad" parts of Fort Myers by any means. We have friends that live in Villa Medici (near your #3) and they've never said anything bad about the area. Hopefully someone else will respond with more insight into those specific communities for you.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:43 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Stay south of Colonial for the most part. Avoid anything in zip code 33916 and be wary of 33901 and 33905. The Daniel's Parkway corridor is safe as is Gateway, Estero and some parts of San Carlos. Definitely stay away from Westchase Apartments and anything near the Edison Mall. Good luck on your search. My son lived in Bay Harbor for a few years and while they are nice apartments they are not well insulated and he complained about hearing the neighbors all the time even though he was in a townhouse.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Palms of Monterey are noisy. Your can hear your neighbors on all sides. Would drive me batty for sure, but some people don’t mind.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:41 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Stay south of Colonial for the most part. Avoid anything in zip code 33916 and be wary of 33901 and 33905. The Daniel's Parkway corridor is safe as is Gateway, Estero and some parts of San Carlos. Definitely stay away from Westchase Apartments and anything near the Edison Mall. Good luck on your search. My son lived in Bay Harbor for a few years and while they are nice apartments they are not well insulated and he complained about hearing the neighbors all the time even though he was in a townhouse.
Agreed!

Old 05-27-2019, 12:12 PM

10 posts, read 10,527 times
Thank you everyone who wrote with your advice. We just returned a few days ago, still without a committment. It was a challenge driving around and getting to know the streets. We got lost trying to find cobblestone on the lake apartments, so i stopped into an antique store. The owner told me to stay away from that area, because, and i quote: "it's very, very, very bad." as for palms of monterrey, as attractive as they looked outside, they were dire need of updating and good paint jobs. The lanai had gobs of dead bugs. They are not promoting their property going that route. Bay breeze was lovely. However, it would be great if apartments took out the "work station" in kitchens and used that space for a pantry! I truly thank all of you for your thoughts and will make notes on what you said. Enjoy your summer!

Old 05-27-2019, 02:49 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
anything near the Edison Mall.
We went furniture hunting a few months back. We thought driving to a Macy’s may work out. The mall is in decline and the area is bad. We wont go near there again

Old 05-28-2019, 09:13 AM

390 posts, read 396,922 times
If you have a smart phone, I'd recommend getting a free Google/Gmail account and downloading Google Maps to your phone. This way you can get directions based on your GPS location which makes getting around new areas a bit easier. You also have the option of saving your location history and viewing it later to see what parts of town you were in in relation to points of interest which could help you remember which areas you liked and which you didn't.

As others mentioned, there are definitely parts to avoid. Definitely large sections around the Edison Mall, areas like Tice, parts of Lehigh Acres, etc. If you go to the Trulia site to look for properties they have a crime map overlay you can use to get a better idea about other areas you might want to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area