Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 09:15 AM

13 posts, read 21,180 times

Advertisements

We have ben able to come down and enjoy Cape Coral quite frequently since we bought our home in 2015. The plan was to retire and come down in 2017 but life happens.

Although not very well traveled, especially outside the US, We have also enjoyed vacationing in the Carribean among other beautiful places. But for everyday living,specific to our situation, we really like Florida, particularly Cape Coral and the Southwest Gulfcoast. The area is completely different from where we have spent our whole lives. It suits us for many reasons including it’s beautiful scenery and climate, I agree that it is not for everybody.

I don’t spend much time on City Data, except for researching information about the area. I am far more interested in Cape Coral than where I have. Een born and have lived. I dont comment much unless i have something to say. In this regard, i have expressed positive reasons we have come to love and appreciate Cape Coral. I realize this is personal preference relative to one’s previous life experiences. I feel invested in Cape Coral and prideful of what will soon be our permanant home. I know how it feels lo live somewhere you really dont like but there is life happening again. At any rate, we are, as a Family, anxious and excited to make the change.

Thank you for your honest opinion and i hope you are able to be happy wherever you live. Stay well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 05:53 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,701,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Cape View Post
We have ben able to come down and enjoy Cape Coral quite frequently since we bought our home in 2015. The plan was to retire and come down in 2017 but life happens.

Although not very well traveled, especially outside the US, We have also enjoyed vacationing in the Carribean among other beautiful places. But for everyday living,specific to our situation, we really like Florida, particularly Cape Coral and the Southwest Gulfcoast. The area is completely different from where we have spent our whole lives. It suits us for many reasons including it’s beautiful scenery and climate, I agree that it is not for everybody.

I don’t spend much time on City Data, except for researching information about the area. I am far more interested in Cape Coral than where I have. Een born and have lived. I dont comment much unless i have something to say. In this regard, i have expressed positive reasons we have come to love and appreciate Cape Coral. I realize this is personal preference relative to one’s previous life experiences. I feel invested in Cape Coral and prideful of what will soon be our permanant home. I know how it feels lo live somewhere you really dont like but there is life happening again. At any rate, we are, as a Family, anxious and excited to make the change.

Thank you for your honest opinion and i hope you are able to be happy wherever you live. Stay well.
Fair enough.
My point was-- I was shocked when I first saw it. I thought it was going to be more lush, green and well maintained and planned. It was shocking to see the hodgepodge nature of the housing stock and lack of any real trees. "Cape Coral" sounds very pretty and nice, but when one gets there, it's disappointing. Was wondering if anyone else had thought the same.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:03 PM

13 posts, read 21,180 times
We observed the same lack of trees and vegetation when we first saw Cape Coral in 2003/2004. We were so turned off we never checked out the rest of the City and were more focused on what we were familiar with in SE Florida. And your description still holds for much of the land North of Veterans. I think it would help if construction and development included certain trees and foliage and not just the cheapest. Some foliage just doesn't fit at all.

When we bought, our property had many overgrown and neglected trees and scrubs. Some we salvaged but some were intertwined with invasive pepper plants and Rotted/diseased Fishtail palms. There was foliage but not very pretty or at all clean and much to close to the house. Many properties we looked at were very much overgrown and I know it doesn't take long. In the Southwest many homeowners have tastefully planted beautiful Royal and Foxtail palm trees and colorful shrubs. As far as shade trees, I haven't seen very many of those types of trees. But over the past few years the trees and shrubs have really matured. But again this is the Extreme Southwest and Southeast parts of Cape Coral. I agree that much of the development in the North part of the City leaves a lot to be desired. Loving those palms and looking forward to never raking leaves again. And talk about waste land.....how about the deser Southwest. Many friends and Family love Arizona, NM and west Texas but not for us.

As far as architecture, I also agree that there is not much variation but that's true in many places. But there's not a whole lot one can do to very a cement block construction built to primarily withstand hurricane winds. It's definitely different than most of the old neighborhoods I grew up in but I'm okay with the trade off for sure.

Old 10-30-2020, 03:18 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
I have planted shade trees in every house I've owned on the Cape. In the late 80's I planted a Black Olive Tree in the front yard. In 2004 I planted two Live Oaks that were about 7 feet tall at a different house. The last time I drove by that house they were probably 30 feet tall. I recently planted another Live Oak at my current property along with Oleander, a Palm and a Frangipani (aka Plumeria).

The city needs to make sure that builders are required to put more trees than they do now. Of course on the flip side are those that are afraid in a hurricane the trees would come down on top of their house. Just don't plant them too close to the house and keep dead branches trimmed. When you live in a place as hot as this, you need as many shade trees as possible.

Cape Coral could do a lot better in beautifying the medians. Estero has done a great job with their city in beautification.

Old 11-11-2020, 02:00 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,701,592 times
Green areas keep communities in the State always looking good....Florida is a GREEN State, help always keep it that way !

Old 11-11-2020, 04:19 PM

2,532 posts, read 1,866,746 times
Yeah the landscape is flat and barren. The area was all swamps not too long ago and was drained via canals, cleared out and flattened. The lack of trees definitely make it hotter than it would be other wise. Personally I prefer a heavy tree canopy and hills like in north FL, GA, SC etc.

Old 12-12-2020, 07:55 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,095,443 times
there were a couple things that create that barren look. vacant lots are mowed by the city to prevent them from getting overgrown. this helps prevent fires. 2nd when the houses were developed (mostly 2004 through 2006) they built cookie cutter, mass produced homes that they put as little landscaping in as possible and built them before the city installed utilities and sidewalks. 3rd after the crash circa 2007 many of the homes were bought up by investors that had no desire to beautify the area or invest any $$ unless it would mean more rental income.
but as bad as it is , it isn't as bad as it was. There were plenty of people like me that planted vast amounts of trees and hedges. I found it was contagious when a neighbor saw how good it looked they in turn planted trees. but it was very clear of owned houses vs rented.
I enjoyed going to Cape Coral and boating and fishing, dining at the many good restraunts, and hitting the nearby beaches of Sanibel. In the last year I have sold all my Cape Coral properties but I could easily see myself buying back over there when the next crash happens.

Old 12-13-2020, 02:07 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,204,054 times
Cape Coral started as a swamp land development scheme back in the 50's when 30,000 people lived in Lee County. Clear cut out and dredge 100,000 lots and sell the quarter acres of swamp land to northerners for investment or retirement. I think it is about half built out and maybe in 30-40 years will be fully built out.

It's a great value for that middle class retiree or family from the Midwest who just wants to live in Florida for warm weather and isn't too fussy about aesthetics. Cape Coral is middle class "affordable" housing on a budget. Compare it to a smiliar swamp land development from the 50's....Lehigh Acres. Now that is a meth infested dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area